New
Find
Notify
Tools

My opinion on Bennelli
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now, not to really start an argument here, well maybe a little, I think you all know my feeling about these things. I am an O/U guy.

In the last week and a half, I have had three of these "things" in the shop for repair. To a man, all three guys said "...I love my bennelli..." I will stand by my conviction, If you own one, it ain't a matter of "if" it is a matter of "when" it's gonna give you some crap.

I think I will modify the old saying:
"If it's got tires, txts or it's a bennelli, it's gonna give you trouble"

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy has a 20ga Montefeltro that I have shot some. Wasn't all that impressed, I'll stick with my Auto 5.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Kobe

What problems do you find? I thought Benelli was one of the better actions. I know the guys that shoot 4 or 5 cases a week (cleaning the boilers at the power station) found the 1100's lasted about 6 months, the Benelli's last about 4 years. They are all ugly as hell, and as with any auto action they need to be cleaned occasionally. They are easy to take down and rinse out(The plastic really builds up shooting at that rate.) The pins don't break and the parts seem to be hardened properly so they wear well. The plastic stocked M1's hold together well, especially with the heavy loads. (I think they use a special industial 3 inch load at 3 3/4 dram ; 1-3/4oz of very soft lead).

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boiler cleaning's an appropriate task for a plastic pogo-stick shotgun.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shotty guns come in 2 type those with 2 barrels and all the others BOOM clap mgun dancing

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the last week and a half, I have had three of these "things" in the shop for repair.

Which model? That is kind of like saying I had three Fords in my shop last week but if one was a Pinto then it clarifies a bit.

We exclusively use Benelli M1 Field models in Mexico and have approx 35 in armory. These guns are mostly used as rentals and as long as we clean them every now and again they function well. That is with subpar quality Mexican manufactured ammunition and in hot dusty conditions.

Given the high volume and high temperature shooting the Benelli's have offered the best comprimise between cost and reliability. Brownings are decent but some of the cheaper autos tend to give in to the rigorous shooting.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote