Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser safety for an Interarms Mk. X?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello. So I just stumbled into a 1977 Interarms Mark X in 300 WM for a decent price. The only catch is the trigger/safety. It's the original Interarms trigger and is the version with four adjustment screws. However, the safety will occasionally drop the hammer. Also, brisk bolt work will sometimes cause the striker to fall as the bolt closes (finger off the trigger). Lots of problems and I was not able to work the screws in any combination to fix the problem.

Anyhow, I was thinking of switching to a striker-blocking, Buehler-style (i.e. scope compatible) safety. So the first question is, who offers a bolt shroud cut for such a safety? Most of the aftermarket shrouds are designed for trigger block safeties.

Second question, can you suggest a good trigger? I am trying to find drop-ins, if that is possible. My own skills are pretty feeble and there's nobody I trust locally.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bmeeks - I replaced the original trigger and bolt shroud on my Mark X with a Timney and a M98 shroud. I had a smith install a PME two-position safety kit on the bolt shroud. If you don't have a local smith, Jim Kobe usually has these modified shrouds in stock. The trigger is simple to install, but should be done at the same time as the safety change to verify safety function.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help so far, folks. I know these are basic questions, so please bear with me. I found some sources for surplus M98 bolt shrouds. Will these work with a Mark X? Once I install that, I only need to fit a Buehler safety and a new trigger, correct? How much hand fitting is needed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The trigger and safty is fixable as is.......

You can do about anything you want to with that action, M-70 3 pos. safty, Buehler safty, and a Blackburn, Timney or Canjar trigger, what ever... Sometimes you have to change the cocking piece but most smiths have a draw full of those....

If you have not done this before then have a gunsmith do it..most requires gunsmith instalation.

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The bottom of the cocking piece on a Mk X is different than a standard mauser and there may be some fitting required to make a '98 trigger work right. The difference is slight but enough to make you have to force the bolt forward against the firing spring pressure for the last 3/16ths of an inch when using a Mauser cocking piece with Mk X internals.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds like any option I choose will require the ministrations of a gunsmith. What if I decide to stick with a side-safety for now? Are any of the Timney/Bold/Traister triggers a true drop-in fit? Or will they all require a gunsmith as well? Thanks again for your patience and input.

PS I know I should just go to a gunsmith but that's not so easy. Here in Northcentral Montana, good smiths just can't be found. Unless somebody here knows of one...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buzz: That fellow north of town told me that he makes a two position shroud safety for 98s. It seemed like he charged about $100 installed. You might want to check him out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Parker hale that was doing the same thing you describe, I tried ajustments and still the same thing.
Turned out the wood was compressed and the trigger was dragging on the botton of trigger guard, did a pillar job and all was fine. Just something to check out.
mr

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sounds like any option I choose will require the ministrations of a gunsmith. What if I decide to stick with a side-safety for now? Are any of the Timney/Bold/Traister triggers a true drop-in fit? Or will they all require a gunsmith as well? Thanks again for your patience and input.

PS I know I should just go to a gunsmith but that's not so easy. Here in Northcentral Montana, good smiths just can't be found. Unless somebody here knows of one...

I put a Timney on a Mark X -- it is drop-in but you may need to inlet the stock for it a bit since the safety lever sticks out a little more.

Or since you're in northern Montana, you're just a hop-skip-jump (by Montana standards) from Dave Gentry in Belgrade -- he can take off the Mark X safety and put in his very nice 3-position Model 70-style. I have one of those on another Mark X and it is a very nice unit indeed.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had this problem with a .270 Mark X and a smith that had worked on quite a few told me the spring that keeps the safety in the safe position isn't a very strong spring and after a few years will allow the safety to move around.
This gunsmith replaced mine three years ago and it is still working perfectly.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SARCO has some MK10 parts FS - scroll towards bottom: SARCO MK10 Parts

JP

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote