New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding Epoxies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What bedding epoxy has the best resistance to gun cleaning chemicals as well as providing a good bedding material characteristics? There seems to be so many to choose from. Is it just a matter of preference?

Thanks

Posts: 133 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 18 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
I've tried a few and the best one so far has been Probed 2000. Simple to mix and not picky on ratio and always hardens correctly and lasts and lasts. You can make it as thick and thin as you want as well

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, just a matter of preference. have you done a search on this? the few times I have bedded an action/barrel I have used Marine-Tex. you're release agent seems to be more of a concern than with the many options of epoxies. I use Mothers Carnuba car wax. Some say it is for "cars" but it has not failed me thus far. Do a search on that as well-pretty lengthy discussions on them too.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the guys have INFORMED me that marine tex is great stuff, and I am a convert

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a search and it seems there are a lot of epoxies (acraglas (reg. and gel), Devcon (several types), Marine-tex, steel bed, Probed 2000 and others. i was just wandering if anyone that has done a lot of stock bedding ever did any comparison test as far as the chemical resistance, psi strenth, shrinkage, workability ect... There are a few that seem to be mentioned more than others Acraglasgel, Devcon and Marine-Tex.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned .
I prefer Devcon , Marine Tex works well also Acraglas is the old standard .

Grizz007 Who said wax is for cars only ?. Works well on RV's Boats planes . Any wax with Carnuba can be used for a release agent . Here is the ' Sure Fire Method " of proper release .

Apply wax with soft applicator cloth Ect. . Wipe off then repeat again third time is the charm . Works every single time without fail .

Shoot straight know your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other question. Once your are ready to put action and barrel on the stock how do you know how much pressure to apply and how do you assure alignment?

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robe763:
One other question. Once your are ready to put action and barrel on the stock how do you know how much pressure to apply and how do you assure alignment?

On the three rifles that I've bedded, I used stockmaker's bedding screws to hold the action in place and just snugged it down to where I thought it should be. Remember, the epoxy is being used to resolve any issues with loose action fit. Once the bedding compound cures you should not have any more play in the action-to-stock fit. My thought was to snug it up while the epoxy cures so it will be where I need it to be afterwards. There may be a more scientific answer than mine, but snug worked find for me.

Please make sure you apply a liberal dose of release compound to the screws you tighten the action down with. If you accidentally glue the screws in, you'll probably never get them loose.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Marine Tex, but I have also had excellent results with PC-7 sold at Ace Hardware. I used it on a 264 win mag with no cross bolt and its held up fine

Posts: 174 | Location: Lakewood | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Grizz007 Who said wax is for cars only

thumb

Tex, I have done that once-had one screw locked in abit and used a soldering iron and an impact screw driver-done a homer homer

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex21 does Brownell or some other place sell stockmaker's screws or do you make them yourself?

I have seen listed a few DVD's on this such as AGI and Richard Franklin do you know anything about these? Would they be worth getting?

Thanks for the input

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Brownell's and Midway both sell stockmakers screws. Midway is a bit cheaper unless you have an FFL or C&R license.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway list a set by Forster for the Winchester Model 70. Do all model 70's have the same screw size and thread pitch? The rifle I have is a Winchester Model 70 I think early to mid 1970's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robe763:
Midway list a set by Forster for the Winchester Model 70. Do all model 70's have the same screw size and thread pitch? The rifle I have is a Winchester Model 70 I think early to mid 1970's.

All Model 70's are the same, 1/4 x 32.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plain vanilla JB Weld works well too. Cheap, easy to find, I have done lots of big thumpers with it with no problemo.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote