THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel liner installs and accuracy in .22's?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody installed a barrel-liner in a .22? How was accuracy afterwards? What kind of groups at 50 yards?

Also, anybody done a Remington Model 12 with the "ears" on the side of the barrel and the one piece ejector/firing pin? Any problems with peening the chamber entrance of the liner?

Whose liner did you use? Redman's? TJ's? Another one?

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody's installed a barrel liner or has any recommendations?

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Some info. on barrel liners in this thread. Not .22's, but there is contact info. for firms doing this work.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...9421043/m/3371064591

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done several but haven't got any group information to show how well they shoot. I have an old Ballard 44 rimfire that I converted to 17HMR via a liner that seems to shoot really well on tin cans etc. but once again no groups on paper. From scuttlebutt that I've heard a relined barrel usually shoots just as well as the original barrel, so I wouldn't be afraid to line one if the original bore is gone.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 830 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done two. one in 22 rf and one in 17m2. both on martini's that the owners wanted to preserve the original barrel markings. both shot well when I tested them and I assume the owners were happy as I haven't gotten any complaints

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Appreciate any feedback or recommendations.

You might ask or search here if you haven't already:

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Max, whose liner did you use?

Craigster, I'll check on the single shot forum; good idea.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have relined several .22 rifles and one .22 revolver with very good results on all. I buy liners from Brownell and secure them with Acraglas epoxy.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too await comments regarding lining a M12 Remington, as I have one also that need it. The design of the breech leaves a little concerned as to how well it'll work.

Posts: 331 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have a HWZ28 falling block with a loose spot about midway down the barrel.

Shoots pretty decent at 50 with ammo it likes, but wonder how much better with a "new" barrel supplied via a liner.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several relined. The big issue
with 22' seems to be the chamber throat any
burr or reamer ring will hurt accuracy.
The 17 MKII, and HMR shoot very well.
I have a switch barrel 17 MKII/ 22 Stevens
Favorite that using the 17 is perhaps the most
accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawkins,

Thanks for the reply. DO you know what barrel liners were used?

Also, how accurate is the Steven's switch barrel? Will it hold 5 shots at 50 yds into an inch?

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The British company of A G Parker used to do a lot of these re-lines. They also built a lot of the military contract conversions of the 303 SMLE to the Pattern '14 No1 and Pattern 14 No2 before that conversion then became known as the SMLE No1 Mk IV.

They also sold these barrel liners. And they had TWO ACCURACY GUARANTEES as to the expected size of the group.

As did Parker Hale with two prices for outwardly the same looking liner.

Standard Quality was a guarantee of 3" at 100 Yds or better.

All In Quality was a guarantee of 2" at 100 Yds or better.

So my answer would be that, providing the work is done well, then the accuracy will be as good as is the quality of the liner itself.

Start with a good quality control tolerance liner and you'll get good accuracy. Start with a low quality control and wide tolerance liner and you'll get accuracy to match.

Just the same as buying a cheap .22 plinking rifle and a top end .22 target rifle.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My liners were from Brownells. The 22 barrel on the Stevens Favorite only has the open sights so I can't say really how accurate it is'
The 17 MKII will probably stay on a penny at
50 yds.
When I was a kid I would have killed for this rifle.
Another one is a Remington #4 relined to 22Mag.
It is a perfect tag along gun.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Late update. I used the Brownell's Redman liner on the Remington model 12. The liner was skinny enough that I largely maintained the "horns" on the breech, and could file in the liner to match the contour.

It shoots great. Iron sights at 25 yards put 15 shots in the upper quarter of an orange target pastie. About 1.5 inch group with flyers that were probably me. Gun had been shot with corrosive ammo and wouldn't hold 12 inches at 25 yards before I sleeved it. Very happy with the result.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We reline using 1.25" blanks turned down to the required diameter. Typically The larger diameter the liner the better it shoots.

Mark

Posts: 1234 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote