New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock I'm working 550 CZ, 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I aint going to quit my day job or anything, but I like fooling around with it. This is a piece of Baston walnut, it does have a lot of fiddleback. It sure what hard to work. I have some clean up and got to get screws north and south etc. I left the grip to long, not sure why I did that, but it does fit my big hand. I rounded the shadow line just a little, trying to think of a good excuse, but can't so will have to blane that on Coors Light. Smiler

Maybe it's because I am a hobbiest and have much to learn, but CZ's are a pain in the ass to inlet the barrel lug and stock stiffner etc. Think I'll go back to mdl 70's and mausers.

It's not as shinny as the pics show. If I had it to do over again, would have used a jerry fisher 2 screw instead of the dressels grip cap, looks like a door knocker, but I had it and used it.

Once I get the piddly stuff done, will send it to Dennis Olson to get blued. Probably get Bill Soverns to checker it.

I holds 4 down and feeds pretty good, I worked on the follower and etc. I need to work on the trigger too.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice! I really like the shape of that stock. May I ask if it was a pattern you designed or did you have someone turn it for you? I would be interested in duplicating it. Tnanks in advance.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Looks damn good to me! See it Saturday?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Nice job, Billy.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
I left the grip to long, not sure why I did that, but it does fit my big hand.

That's exactly how a stock should be built. Everything should fit the person it's being built for.
It's nice if other people like it but how it fits you is the key.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CongoMike,

I didnt make that pattern. That is Mike Kokolus's CZ pattern, he turnes my stocks, he's damn good.

Its not a bad pattern but the toeline was to steep. I had to take quite a bit off the toe line and the grip is on the long side and is pretty big, takes some work, but its ok, not as much work as making a pattern. Had to move the nose back some. I prefer to do my own patterns, but just don't have the time. Mikes patterns are pretty good, he does good on the duplicating too.

This pattern does not have the stock stiffner started and you have to cut the barrel lug from scratch, but aint that big a deal.

It has some pretty good flutes on the front of the floorplate, same in the back. I personnaly think it would look better with a button cheek piece, but I aint all that worried about it or I would have made my own pattern. Its a lot trimmer in real life that the pic shows, it has about 9 1/2" forearm. IF you want to talk to Mike let me know.

I have a bastone blank thats the brother to this one if anybody is interested.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I like it. Good job.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Okie, you did good. I guess I won't be too scared to let you and Jeffe whittle on my Lott.Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Butch,

Don't tell anybody I'm from Oklahoma, I'd um fooled thinking I was from Texas and could read. Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,

EXCELLENT
as usual, it looks tons better than you described it.. i was waiting for a roofing tack to hold the grip cap on, the way you were talkin.

good job!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Looks good Billy. You're being too critical of your efforts, that's a nice job. Of course the compliment's coming from a guy who can't lick a popsicle stick without getting a splinter.

While you're waiting for the stock to get checkered, put a proper bolt handle on the CZ. For the life of me, I can't understand why they won't spend an extra 5 bucks for a decent bolt handle. It would improve the looks of their rifles by 100%.

Nice job, I'd like to see it in person.

Also, thanks for letting us see your bedroom. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB, Thanks,

You are so right about the bolt handle. I don't know why I didnt rework that handle, and I still may. I only get to work on this stuff when I can get shook loose from my job and so many things I know better but just don't think about it. I completly finished a stock a few months back and forgot to inlet the swivel for the sling Smiler, didnt notice it till I was rubbing it out with Rottenstone.

Going to Build a Lott down the road, but differnt pattern, either one like my 404 is on with some changes or the CZ pattern Jeffe is working on or going to work on, I told him I would do the grip.

I'll send this one out for checkering, but when I grow up I want to learn how to checker.

Plan to start on a 376 on a mauser, English, panels and Scnab forend here pretty soon.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, thanks, its not bad, but I always want to do better.

You wont like this one, its on the skinny side for your liking. Smiler

If I hadnt been so far down the road, would have put the 3 pos saftey that laying on my desk.............I'll put it on a Lott.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Billy,

You sure do some purrty whitlin'.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote