Notify
Tools

Pattern stock for CZ 550
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
Howdy,
It has been a while since I have posted on here. But in a few months I will be back home from Iraq and you can count on me poking my nose in here more often.

I am my CZ 550 American 7x57 worked over while I am deployed. It is getting the royal treatment with an Orbendorf stlye bolt handle, Ed Lapour safety and shroud, surface ground action to remove the big CZ banner, express sights, etc....

My origional plan was to use the factory stock which is nicely figured and re-shape it into a more traditional pattern. But due to a suggestion from a friend I am seriously considering re-stocking it.

Does anyone happen to know anyone who had a nice traditional pattern for the standard 550? I am looking for a stock that has a nice open grip, oval cheekpiece, Schnabel fore-end, etc....

If any of you know where a nice pattern is located please let me know.

Thanks,

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are others out there William, but I know that Richard's Microfit will inlet for the CZ550, which means all you have to do is go out to their site and pick the style that you want. Then decide whether you want it as a laminate, or walnut, etc. Good luck.

Godspeed on your deployment.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Great American inletts for the CZ they had a couple on the bargin list the other day.

http://www.gunstocks.com/

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
This is the cz MEDIUM action, so be specific, or you may get a very nice stock, for the 550 magnum action

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Serengeti Stockworks (Accrabond) has a CZ 550 pattern stock.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, do you have your old duct tape 2005 Hunt special stock yet? Trying to remember what that stock was.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Hopefully Worthing will make a pattern stock, then I can rip his off Big Grin

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Bill, do you have your old duct tape 2005 Hunt special stock yet? Trying to remember what that stock was.

Chic,
The duct tape special was on my Kimber 84 .308. Kimber took really good care of me and fixed the rifle up and even upgraded the wood for me.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll give my standard answer here:

"Make one from a blank yourself!"

Even if you don't have the tools, you can do it with a minimum investment (first stock I made I used about $30 to buy some tools). Use a blank that won't make you cry if you screw it up ($50 for my first blank-and it was a Mannlicher). But actually, if you use an expensive blank, then you will go slower and think everything out before you act. It is very hard to un-rasp a piece of wood, so when a lot of money is on the line you tend to think before acting.

I bet that you will have a lot of pride in something you made totally with your own hands. And worst case scenario, if the stock turns out to be atotal train wreck then you can build it up with bondo and use it for a pattern stock.

Just one idea for you to think about.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I'll give my standard answer here:
"Make one from a blank yourself!"

Marc, I've met Bill and you really shouldn't encourage him to do any work involving sharp tools.

Bill, that CZ stock has enough wood for two rifles. Use it as your pattern. Shape it just the way you want it, pattern it and then sell the original stock as a "project" to someone who wants to refinish a stock.

If your intentions are to change out the safety and barrel, you can tell your duplicator just how you want to handle those areas of the the stock.

This could even be the mannlicher-stocked rifle you've been pondering. Cut and contour the original barrel to your liking, add sights and you'll be ready to stock it. Shape and pattern the original stock, and ask the duplicator to leave the forearm long and unfinished.

Just an idea for you, but remember what your doctor said, "No sharp tools."

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Forrest & Marc,
I was hoping to take the lazy way out and find an exhisting pattern and save me some time and labor.

I was having the same thoughts about putting a Mannlicher stock on this rifle. It would be the perfect candidate. Desisions. Decisions. Decisions. But I guess that is why we are all in this forum fiddling with guns.

And for your information the doctor said it was OK to move on from the scissors with blunted ends as long as I have adult supervision.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
here is a link to some pics I posted of a reworked CZ stock.

reworked CZ

The fact htey they are the "Kings of Clunky" from the factory really helps out if you want to restyle them. They have enough wood to do just about anything under the sun with them. You could try to make what you wanted, and if it did not turn out to your liking, you could use bondo and make your own pattern stock.

Just a thought.

BTW-I cut the hell out of my right middle finger when working on a stock last night. Sharp objects and Marc's flesh do not get along either, so you are not alone!!!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Marc,
Thanks for posting the link to your 416 project. It has given me some new inspiration for this project.

To say the factory stock is "clunky" is a gross understatement. But as you said and can see in the pics below they give you a lot of room to work with.

The factory stock I have has a lot of potential in it. There is some nice figure hiding under the heavily tinted factory gorilla snot finish.

With some re-shaping and a nice oil finish it will turn into a nice stock. And like you and Forrest mentioned, if it doesnt work out, I can use it as a pattern.

William Berger