New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade Stuff that works!!
 Login/Join

<atlasmlc>
posted
I have a hang-up about buying new equipment when I can make something just as good for very little $$...Guess that means I'M CHEAP!
What equipment have you designed (or copied) that work as good as the store bought stuff?
We just discussed homemade bore guides made for practically nothing. What about other stuff?

------------------
Happy Hunting

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Not cheap, creative If I were cheap, I wouldn't spend $100's on some things, yet bemoan paying $5 on others, then again, maybe I am cheap?

As I mentioned on another thread, I've made wood scrapers from used hacksaw blades. Cheap, and easily ground to any shape I want, w/o the grief of grinding a $10-15 German scraper. I've used cases to make punches out of. I made a flex shaft grinder using a makita 1/4" die grinder and foredom flex shaft.

I'm sure there are some others that don't come to mind, will have to ponder them.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every time I finish a stock I have to search for something to hold the finish when I wet sand. I use a small block of wood but need something relatively small. Most stocks I build have Pachmyr pads and the packaging from these when split in half provides two nice containers.

Chic

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you are interested in shop equipment as well as gun accessories. For grinders and buffers on the cheap it is really hard to beat just a cheap mandrel on a 3/4 - 1 hp washing machine motor. I guess most of the motors are in the 1/2 hp range but 3/4 and up are when you can really get some work done! If you find a motor you can be on the road for less than $25 including the wheel or buff. If you want to spend a little more get an arbor and run it with a belt and pulley, but then you are starting to get into a little bit more money, which is opposite the "free" aspect. Everybody should have a buffing wheel, just don't experiment with anything expensive until you have made your mistakes on the cheap things first.

For gunwipes I put some oil and a shot of WD40 on a cloth and keep it in a 35mm film can.

If you do a lot of finish work and live by a school sometime get a bag full of empty milk cartons, the 1/2 pint ones. Wash them out before you do anything else with them but they used to be very handy for finishes and glues or mixing up small batches of epoxy. Nowadays though I got a tube of plastic deli containers and just use those, much neater to keep them in a stack and if you use the bottom one it will be clean inside guaranteed.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chick,
I use jar lids, the wifes saucers, aluminum pans, sardine cans, sawed off platic bottles and peanut butter jars, shoe polish cans, and my all time favorite, a 6" iron skillet I found at the dump!! Hope this helps you in your search for the holy grail of wet sanding......

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by atlasmlc:
I have a hang-up about buying new equipment when I can make something just as good for very little $$...Guess that means I'M CHEAP!
What equipment have you designed (or copied) that work as good as the store bought stuff?
We just discussed homemade bore guides made for practically nothing. What about other stuff?
More in the reloading line..I bought a metal deburr tool holder to fit an electric screwdriver to save the fingers and it works great...sitting at the loading bench I saw a 5/8 female/female PVC coupling and my Forster/wilson/wilson for RCBS deburr/campher tool fits in tightly.....and the cheap socket for electric screwdriver in 7/16 fits the other end firm enough to need a tap with a hammer....works as good as the 10$ metal one and most of us have those cheap sockets in sets given as gifts or for 1.99$ in checkout line...and .50 for coupler and ready to go....similar with RCBS flashhole deburr tool....it is threaded and get a nut and screw it on the shaft and I then accuraglassed another of the cheap hex shaft sockets to the nut and now I have a powder flashhole tool and with the collar you can't overcut the hole with the elect screwdriver.....these save finger cramps on big batch case prep days...good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, what is shoe polish? I have heard of boot wax and boot water proofing but shoe polish? Sounds like frivolous stuff to me.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I got tired of burned fingers so I made a "cartridge case turntable" for annealing case necks out of a tape deck mechanism. It is set permanently on "play". With a "turntable" made using a holesaw to cut a plug of 3/4" plywood on the spindle, it turns the case just fast enough.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Tuna fish cans! I love these things little ones big ones. I use them for all sorts of things but mostly for mixing bedding compounds.

P.S. It helps if you like tuna fish too.
This is a prerequisite to acquiring these little cans.

I make use of barrels that are shot out instead of just throwing them away. I use the barrel shank in making tools to square bolt faces, hold tension against the bolt while lapping the lugs & in the case of the mauser barrel to lap the inner collar square also. This save me time of having to thread for the action.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Popsicle sticks and cotton pipe cleaners have been extremely useful to me. Large packs of popsicle sticks can be bought at dollar stores or craft stores for next to nothing. They are good for mixing glass/epoxy, useful as tiny sanding blocks, wedges, shims etc. The pipe cleaners are most useful for cleaning and degreasing threaded holes, getting gunk out of grooves etc.

I also use the mouths of spent cartridge cases to scrape off surface rust and stray acraglass. The cases don't mar the bluing and any brass residue can be wiped off with solvent or oil. Cut-off ends of metal round stock make good barrel channel scrapers too.

Super glue is also used alot in my shop. I've used it to fill cracks in stocks, build up handguards on military guns, temporarily hold scope bases in place and even for gluing things together.

A small metal lathe or mill-drill creates almost unlimited potential for making your own tools. I guess its like money; it takes tools to make tools. - John

FWIW I'm not cheap, I'm just poor!

[This message has been edited by Beelzebubba (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
"A small metal lathe or mill-drill creates almost unlimited potential for making your own tools. I guess its like money; it takes tools to make tools. - John

FWIW I'm not cheap, I'm just poor!"

True. I'm too poor to pay attention. LOL
But I made my own set of wildcat forming and loading dies. Heck. I have a working Romainian M-1969 now chambered for a 22caliber necked down 25ACP case. The whole project involved an "investment" of around maybe $200...including bullets brass and powder.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to purchase a houges ballistic shooting bag and when I saw the price $130.00 if I remember correctly so I went to a leather goods maker and got him to make me one from leather and he also filled it with buckwheat husks which gives the same quality's as sand with a 1/4 of the weight cost me $10.00 not quite free I suppose.

I use beer bottle tops to hold graphite in and wool bail hook conainers for odds and ends.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I glue on an ebony fore end tip I add a black substance to the epoxy glue so that if there are any tiny gaps (and of course there aren't- yeah sure!) you won't see them. The black stuff that is often recommended is Lamp black available at hardware stores. That is a hardware store from circa 1930. I use the black toner from depleted Xerox printer cartridges.

Speaking of super glue, I use it on checkering where the wood tends to fuzz up. Paint on a bunch of it after I am 3/4 depth and it then checkers like it is granite.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
The best super glue you buy at hobby shops that specialize in models. I think that the brands are all pretty much the same, but I like to get both the "super thin" stuff in addition to the thicker gels. I suppose if I had to only get one I would get the super thin stuff as it can do things nothing else can. The reason for getting it at a hobby store is that you will be buying fresh stuff, modelers use a lot of it. Also buy some accelerant when you are there, that stuff is pretty impressive too! It will force the super glue to cure in about 2 seconds so you can put it on one piece, coat the other piece in glue and hold it for a second and it is stuck.

Toner cartridges are a great idea, burnt cork works too and I usually have more empty wine bottles than empty toner cartridges but you never know!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Remember this is cheap, my wine bottles have screw tops, lol.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips on the lamp black substitute. I just ordered some rottenstone from Brownells even though it is "commonly available in paint stores." I can't count the number of blank stares I've gotten from even the older paint experts when I asked for it. I guess I save a lot of money buying the older gunsmithing books too! I don't suppose you guys know a good substitute for rottenstone? - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, where do I start?

I don't mind spending money on some things, but if I can make an item, sometimes I get down-right stubborn about buying that item. Plus it's fun.

Some things that come to mind....
Barrel vise
Action wrench
Barrel flushing system
Action truing sleeve
Lug lapping tool
Bolt mandrel
Die to neck up 8mm Mag brass to 416
Flash hole deburring tool
Skyscreen stands for the Chronograph
Scope ring lapping bar
Ring Alignment bars

And then there is the non-gun shop equipment like the hydraulic tubing bender, water cooler for the TIG welder, hydraulic press, glass bead cabinet...

God, I got too much time on my hands...

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Like jmac, any thing I can copy or pickup for nothing or close to nothing. I like Brownell catalogues they give you all the dementions on there products. I have used it to make a set of bluing tanks that set on a cloeman camp stove or my turkey deep fryer cooker.Some of these projects get really involved like the rifle rest and the arrow straightener.I gave up on the tuna can for anneling and made an alluminum bowel with a shaft that set in a hole on the bench with a thrush washer so it turns easy. some others on the bench are jewling fixture a powder measure stand a bolt welding jig, and many more that i have forgot about.

[This message has been edited by HIVELOSITY (edited 02-14-2002).]

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll be first...

Hivelosity your setup there looks like it loads only inaccurate, if not downright dangerous, ammo. How does one keep from skipping a charge or double charging the next case when you are always staring at the wall?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, what set up??? I do see the wall.

Chic

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
OK, And I thought maybe you would recognize what tallent i have?
I have a couple autographed copys of the Wolfe calander girls from the gun shows here in Northeast Ohio.. sure made the gun shows great, took my father-in-law, could not get him past the girls. go figure.
dave

<Paladin>
posted
...Some many years ago, I finally found a use for the little cartridge "racks" found in .22 rimfire plaastic boxes:

I glued several together with plastic glue, then used other glue to secure them to the inside of a drywall wall which had suffered a good-sized hole. Once this plastic lathwork was firmly in place, it made a perfect base for troweling plaster into place and securing it there.

I was terribly proud of myself --which just goes to show how easy it is for some folks to be proud about something....

Paladin

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post

does any one have a good idea for bore guides

[This message has been edited by HIVELOSITY (edited 02-16-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HIVELOSITY:

does any one have a good idea for bore guides

[This message has been edited by HIVELOSITY (edited 02-16-2002).]

You can use the 2...3 1/8" brass pipes and concatenate them together with couplings. take a reducer and tap a thread into the base of a spent cartridge.

Lesson learned, USE SPENT CATRIDGE! you may use the resizing die to keeps it secure while driling or tapping the thread.

cost - approx $10 in parts from home depot.

Enjoy...

------------------
Best regards,
Alex

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
HiVelosity,
Several of us use fireformed cases from a particular gun....cut off the head....epoxy an arrow shaft (if less than .284 caliber), or use part of a golf shaft (they are tapered and readily available)...Then just cut a notch in the end for adding your favorite cleaning and oiling product...and VIOLA!!

<Kerry.S>
posted
Yep I copied brownells barrel vise and action wrench, scope alignment points, bolt knob welding fixture. Front sight pusher, sight soldering fixture. front and rear sight tools for the AR-15, bolt lug lapping tool. and the one I'm most proud of. I copied the forester universal scope and sight jig. That one took my over two months of lunch hours to build. And I made it better then the original. Mine has a replaceble top bar so you can have any hole spacing you want.
Kerry