Notify
Tools

Shimming One Piece Scope Mount to change POI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Husqvarna (5000 0r 5500)can not remember which model
The issue is that I have to use almost ALL of the down adjustment to zero with jacketed bullets.

Will it work to change the POI/POA if I tilt the mount using shim material and calculate the shim thickness using the same method one would with sights to figure .
Can't be very thick with only 5.5" between front and back of the mount . . . If the same method works.
Not used to tilting scope mounts to adjust POA/POI, but then I only have one gun with one piece mounts and adjustment issues.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
For optical integrity and, possibly, even the mechanical fragility of modern scopes, it is important to keep the reticle near the centre of its adjustments and not to bend the tube when mounting. Shims can be used but may be replaced by milling the other mount base when the amount needed is worked out.

To me it all brings to question the whole concept of image-movement scopes - if the mounting is done carefully, by a competent gunsmith, the need for this modern decadence of constantly centred reticles is nullified.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the best looking rings around, but the Burris insert rings are helpful in this situation.

Posts: 1007 | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he has a one piece mount like he says then he can shim the rear without misaligning the rings. Should be no problem.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have used shims for years, and they work like a charm.

Easiest ones are cut from Coke cans.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have used shims for years, and they work like a charm.

Easiest ones are cut from Coke cans.

AMEN

and shim the rims, not the base --

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What Saeed said; and you can shim a ONE piece base all you want to and not affect the ring to ring geometry. The base remains flat and true. I have used Coke can material as well; works fine.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a rock solid mount with 100% contact on a one piece base here's what I do after determining the shim thickness:

* Cut a narrow shim (3-5 mm) to fit under the rear edge of the aft end of the base and about 3-5 mm shy of width of base.

* Apply wax or other release agent to receiver and base screws and screw hole threads.

* Degrease and butter the base contact points with a steel filled epoxy (JB Weld is good).

* Screw base down just snug and let epoxy set to a soft pliable state. Then trim excess epoxy with the edge of a sharpened credit card.

For two piece bases I do the same for the front and rear bases. Make sure you have the right heights and angles by laying the scope in the rings and checking for level in the ring. bottoms.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the receiver needs to be surface ground based ona scope that's had the center of the focal plane set prior to the shave..To set the cross hairs in the center of the focal planed, turn te knobs from start to finish then return back half way, both adjustments...Then install it on the rifle and see where you are with out changing the adjustments..The if needed surface grind the action and give it a try its usually dead on or close enough..done in this mannor a scope with QD feature will return to 0 in about every case..I make it a habit to do this to all my keeper rifles...I feel like this is the better option as opposed to shims, but shims do work..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote