Find
Notify
Tools

composite duplication
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Can a composite stock be duplicated in walnut? The idea being to have a composite for rough weather and the walnut for nice conditions.

Thanks.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The thought of forcing a fine piece of walnut to wear the shape of a fiberglass stock makes me shudder. It should be the other way around. I wouldn't duplicate it in my shop. Fiberglass stockmaker might have it copy protected as well under visual arts.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard of it being done, although I can't remember who did it. The process didn't fare well for the composit stock though. The duplicator had to glue pieces of wood to both ends of the stock in order to make it fit the duplication machine.

You will not get any of the fine wood duplication folks, like gunmaker above, to do it. They consider it like taking a photograph of the Mona Lisa and calling it art. In a way, I see their point, but in another, I see yours.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
They consider it like taking a photograph of the Mona Lisa and calling it art.

fiberglass stock = Mona Lisa bewildered

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yes, it can be .. and aint a bad idea

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James, no the picture of Mona Lisa is the composite. Definitely not art! The art would be what you do.

So Jeffe, does that mean the beaver would try it?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote