THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 or 450Rigby on a standard M98 action....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
..Harry had one...I guess it can still done.

Hey Gents Smiler

I measured one of my .416s here the other day loaded with a Hornady 400 grain SP. The OAL cartridge was 93.5mm, and the magazinebox I got from Duane patriot can take 92mm length cartridges...I mean can a 1.5mm not be "fixed" like removing the boltstop or something??
I would love to have a .450Rimless Rigby made on a standard action:

I liked Jack Lott and his writing, but please don`t pursuade me into the .458Lott...which is a good performer Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens: Jim Wisner has a recommendation on the bolt stop...he feels 1MM is about the maximum...anything more than that "You probably have to make a new bolt stop"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Jens...you seem to be a man with both class and style...why not get a magnum mauser?
The only reason Rigby ever made one in .416 Rigby on a standard m98, was because they could not get the real thing.
When they had their choise, even the .350 Rigby was made on the magnum mauser.
Selby had one, true, but that does not make it neither classic nor ideal. Wiebe has stated that he would not like to build one on a standard M98 for a customer, and that is something to consider for those who will not listen to Jørgen.

Remember, any M98 today is an old one, with no recorded use - or abuse.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two magnum-mausers already..so I merely thinking of some fun and challenge my gunsmith a little.. Wink
Originally mauser made their magnum-action for the sole purpose of serving Rigbys 400/350 only...(I have one).. dancing
I have one of Duanes magazinetriggerguards, + I have found a few of some original Oberndorf actions, and suddenly my imagination carried me away...or astray one might say...I just might get me a nice .375H&H when sences again takes over. bewildered
Hey Bent!
Have you ever had one of Duanes magazine assemblies in your hand??.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have recently made and plan to continue to make Magnum Mauser bolt stops. The shoulder itself is moved 1.5 mm rearward as was standard on many of the original Magnum Mausers. The first run was made from 4140 and are currently hardened to approximately 30 RWC. They require the spring the ejector and screw. The cost is $120 and do require the shoulder inside the bolt stop window to be removed and fit like the originals. For the longer cartridges they work very well. I will try and find someone to post a picture of one fit to an original Magnum Mauser

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DArcy_Echols_Co:
I have recently made and plan to continue to make Magnum Mauser bolt stops. The shoulder itself is moved 1.5 mm rearward as was standard on many of the original Magnum Mausers. The first run was made from 4140 and are currently hardened to approximately 30 RWC. They require the spring the ejector and screw. The cost is $120 and do require the shoulder inside the bolt stop window to be removed and fit like the originals. For the longer cartridges they work very well. I will try and find someone to post a picture of one fit to an original Magnum Mauser

Yeehaa... dancing

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Jens,
Not yet, but looking foreward to it!

Echols,
Are you saing theese could be used on a standard M98, giving room to a cartridge like the .416 Rigby?
How do you feel about a conversion like that?

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a recent interesting discussion about this matter:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...621000301#9621000301

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
[URL= ] [/URL]

Here is another of the bolt stop

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
[URL= ] [/URL]'

Try this again
Here is a larger shot of the Echols bottom metal, follower and bolt stop for Magnum Mausers.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens
Yes it could be done with components that would allow the magazine to be fit further to the rear. If you had the inside magazine length made about .040 longer than the currently made Norma PH which is shorter in OAL than any other 416 Rigby ammo current produced that I've measured. You'd have to cut a bullet nose relief in the rear of the front ring ,etc. Would it work, sure. How well? I'm not sure as the bullet ramp would have to be awful short, hence a steeper angle and the lower lug area cut away significantly. Would I do it, No, not with all the currently available magnum length actions on the market. By the time you did all the above you could have paid for an action in a magnum length to begin with. I'm sure Rigby did quite a few after the War due to the lack of magnum mausers floating around. I think an OAL of 3.600 is about as long as I would want to use in a Std 98 myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DArcy.. Smiler

I think I`LL have a nice .375 H&H after all..commen sence must prevail in the end.
I have learned something. Thanks to all for professional contribution. patriot

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Having people like Wiebe and Echols in the same thread, makes me think.......
All the crap and clowns and BS aside, this board is pure gold.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:

That was my conclusion aswell..Authority has spoken here..and it still roars.

Bent I really think you should get Duanes metal...you will love it.

I have later today rethought my future project..a nice .400 Holland & Holland. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:

I have later today rethought my future project..a nice .400 Holland & Holland. Wink

Yess, that will be swell! I like! thumb

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:

Well said! thumb clap

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Gentlemen, please help me out here. I'm looking at the magazine follower in 458Win's picture, and it's got me scratching my head... To me it looks like the layout is reversed, and the bottom round in the magazine goes to the left side? If so, what is the reason behind this?

I'm intrigued! Who makes this follower; Mr. Echols or Sunny Hill? There is a similar one shown on Sunny Hill's webpage, but the details aren't clearly visible.

John

Posts: 16 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The follower pictured is one of several types we have designed and currently use in our rifles. Right or left slant on the follower depends on the action and caliber. David Miller was the first one I can remember that used a follower that positioned the "slant" to fall into the action froM the ejection port side. The concept works very well if you need to load the magazine quickly. All the parts in this pic are of our design and made for us by a sub contractor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy,

Do you have a reamer for the 400H&H yet? I seen pictures, but none I can fondle. It would fill that tremendous void between my 375 Holland and my 416 Rigby rather neatly.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.416 Rigby.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the .416 Rigby removes too much metal for your appetite then .425 Westley Richards or .404 Jeffery.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Who did that absolutely beautiful job putting that square bridge on the action that you showed the photos of?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The action is an original magnum Mauser single square bridge. The late Tom Burgess did all the barrel work, sights, made the magazine assembly, follower, trigger lever, etc and then assembled all the parts to make sure they worked as planned.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich
I do not have a 400 H&H reamer. I was going to order one 3 or 4 years ago but the availability of bullets at that time was limited to only one manufacture, availability of brass with the proper head stamped is still an issue. Like other 40 calibers I'm sure it will work great