THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old 1909 Peru Mauser acton in Stainless Steel??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I'm wondering about a Rifle I saw today. it is a 1909 Peruvian Mauser that is no blued, not stainless steel, it almost seems to be chromed. It is beautiful shiny bright steel with a blued barrel. What kind of finish do you think is on this action. I thought in-the-white metal had to be blued. Confused

That's right I'm a rookie regarding this stuff. Smiler

Also, is this a good project action? It is chambered in a 7x57 with a butt-ugly white wood stock of some kind.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its in the White. Same goes for the 1909 Argentine and a few of the other South American contract Mausers. Pristine copies sure are beautiful actions.

The 1909 Peruvian is a fine action. I believe it is identicle to the 1909 Argentine. Find out if it was made in Germany or South America. Many of the Mausers made in South America had suspect heat treatment.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Pretty good steel not to have rusted in all these years huh? thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The action is not stainless, the ctions were furnished "in the white."

This action is highly desirable for a basis of a custom rifle. There are no flies on the 7x57 - if the barrel is still good, keep it and make sporter out of it.

In the mean time, go buy it before I do!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
09 Peruvian actions are fairly unique: intermediate length, large ring, small thread, long barrel shank, extra high charger, manufactured in Oberndorf, Germany. Master metalsmith Tom Burgess likes to grind the sides of the ring to small-ring diameter but retain the top thus ending up with an "oval" front ring. According to Tom, he came up with this idea because alot of Peruvians are pitted below the stock line and this was a way to clean them up and also have something unusual. See the recent thread on the Ottmar/Worthing/Kehr rifle. Original unaltered specimens with matching numbers in good shape are scarce, a superb action for a custom rifle.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:
I'm wondering about a Rifle I saw today. it is a 1909 Peruvian Mauser that is no blued, not stainless steel, it almost seems to be chromed. It is beautiful shiny bright steel with a blued barrel. What kind of finish do you think is on this action. I thought in-the-white metal had to be blued. Confused

That's right I'm a rookie regarding this stuff. Smiler

Also, is this a good project action? It is chambered in a 7x57 with a butt-ugly white wood stock of some kind.

where did you see it? what did they want for it?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Here's one on GunBroker, lots of alterations, good donor rifle for a project though providing the pitting isn't too bad:
09PeruvianMauser

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
09 Peruvian actions are fairly unique: intermediate length, large ring, small thread, long barrel shank, extra high charger, manufactured in Oberndorf, Germany. Master metalsmith Tom Burgess likes to grind the sides of the ring to small-ring diameter but retain the top thus ending up with an "oval" front ring. According to Tom, he came up with this idea because alot of Peruvians are pitted below the stock line and this was a way to clean them up and also have something unusual. See the recent thread on the Ottmar/Worthing/Kehr rifle. Original unaltered specimens with matching numbers in good shape are scarce, a superb action for a custom rifle.

That's what it said on the side. Is this a full size (30.06) action??

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
Its in the White. Same goes for the 1909 Argentine and a few of the other South American contract Mausers. Pristine copies sure are beautiful actions.

The 1909 Peruvian is a fine action. I believe it is identicle to the 1909 Argentine. Find out if it was made in Germany or South America. Many of the Mausers made in South America had suspect heat treatment.

Where do I look to check if it was made in Germany or South America? Confused

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Riodot, it was made at the original Mauser facility in Oberndorf, Germany. It is intermediate length, originally set up for the 7x57, but can safely be opened up for the 30-06, like the one for sale on GunBroker.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Riodot, it was made at the original Mauser facility in Oberndorf, Germany. It is intermediate length, originally set up for the 7x57, but can safely be opened up for the 30-06, like the one for sale on GunBroker.

I am thinking of a 416 Taylor - does this action have the strength for that??

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
It should, would make a dandy open-sight express-style rifle in that caliber. Will require some fancy ramp, rail and magazine work but not impossible.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for that info.

I guess I'd better go get it then.

Big Grin

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here is a snap shot of my ole Peruvian. Sorry for the glare I didn't have the time to set up properly for the photo & the metal is still a wee bit shiny. Big Grin I'll take some good shots tommorrow to show its detail better.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody in the forum used this action for a an "improved" 8mm based upon the 376 Steyr case. Not sure who it was. bewildered
A beautiful project though.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should, would make a dandy open-sight express-style rifle in that caliber. Will require some fancy ramp, rail and magazine work but not impossible.

Is that work very complicated or specialized, or would a good smith be able to do the work?

Is there a good Mauser book or smithing book that would go over ramp, rail, & magazine work for the beginner to follow?

Doug:

I look forward to more photos of that rifle later. Is that a straight or bent bolt handle?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Master metalsmith Tom Burgess likes to grind the sides of the ring to small-ring diameter but retain the top thus ending up with an "oval" front ring.

What does he do about the serial number on the front ring? From the photos of the Ottmar/Worthing/Kehr gun, it appears the serial number is obliterated. Have I missed something? If not, is that legal?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Taking off the serial number is fine, so long as you put back somewhere on the receiver where it is visable without disassembly.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Taking off the serial number is fine, so long as you put back somewhere on the receiver where it is visable without disassembly.

Do you have to have an FFL to move the serial number? Something I read somewhere was that the BATF saw this as an act of manufacture, so you had to have a manufacturer's FFL, but I don't know if that is correct.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
No, you don't need a mfg. lic. because you haven't assigned a new serial number to the reciever, just moved it.
If you are working on somebody elses gun (for profit) you need an FFL anyway. But to move the serial number on your own gun.... No clue; but it would be worth a phone call first.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Let's allow the atf to decide about moving, destroying, or what requires an FFL, shall we?

no real good reason to express opinions, while mentally sound, are contrary to law.

a quick call to the locale's agent with a specific question usually keeps you clear

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with the BATF feild office in Richmond VA. Inspector Dickey did not know the answer to this question so he contacted Washington and got right back to me.

The original serial number may not be destroyed or altered in any way. If you restamp the serial number on the action somewhere else, that is fine, but the original number must reamain as is and unaltered.

While I am disappointed with the answer.. so be it.

I am going to post this on its own too.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote