THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Best way to prevent choke from seizing in a shotgun

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to prevent choke from seizing in a shotgun
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
To address the other end of this . . .

What is the best way (treatment)to keep them from seizing up in the first place?

I guess since I hardly ever shoot a shotgun, mine is most likely to seize from sitting in place for years.
Maybe get it out and turn a few turns every few years.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take them out while in storage?
Or
Anti seize

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I remove the invector chokes in my Miroku O/U shotgun after cleaning and swabbing out barrels so I can wipe the choke threads inside the muzzle and on the invector chokes themselves. A small smear of anti-sieze copper grease on the choke threads and in decades of use have never had an issue with the chokes.

When cleaning the barrels, solvent, oil and carbon will 'bleed' into the threaded area so removing the chokes and cleaning threads should be a normal part of the overall gun cleaning regime.

I wouldn't store the shotgun with the chokes out, always a chance the gun will inadvertently get used without the chokes. I have known this to happen although my friend had a cracker day on walking up mallards in a creek, he couldn't seem to miss with his 'cylinder' barrel (no choke in a Winchester semi).

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he couldn't seem to miss with his 'cylinder' barrel (no choke in a Winchester semi).

Proves most hunters over choke.

Anti sieze is your friend along with removing them and then cleaning them and replacing them

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
soaking in brake fluid is pretty effective too ...

just hate it when someone changes the choke the morning of a duck hunt, it's moist/rainy, gun gets wiped down, put up, and then the rust sets in a bit

even a swab of vasoline, carmex, or even veg/olive oil would be better... even wd40!!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If the chokes are properly maintained, unscrewed and greased after every day in the field, they will never pose a problem. What I don't understand is how we got by without them for the first 400+years of the shotguns existence, but in just a few years so many people believe them to be absolutely essential?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grease the threads after each shoot.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
If the chokes are properly maintained, unscrewed and greased after every day in the field, they will never pose a problem. What I don't understand is how we got by without them for the first 400+years of the shotguns existence, but in just a few years so many people believe them to be absolutely essential?
v
Agreed...never used them..but sure have made a few bucks getting them out

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:

Right on John...never had much use for them, but have made many bucks getting them out

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
he couldn't seem to miss with his 'cylinder' barrel (no choke in a Winchester semi).

Proves most hunters over choke.

Anti sieze is your friend along with removing them and then cleaning them and replacing them

I did for a long time. I can't remember who told me, but when I asked him what choke he recommended in general, he said "none, and very little." He may have been quoting someone else, but I've stuck with it ever since. Seems to work

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot IC most of the time

Use tight chokes for turkey and yotes.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

As everyone has said: "Clean and grease after each outing."

I have had customers that took them out when in storage. This is great if you have a good memory. If you forget the chokes in your gun safe when you go hunting, you have to drive back home and get them before going-afield. If you run a few rounds of steel shot through it without chokes in it. You don't need to worry about putting chokes in that barrel again unless you have the proper tap to recut the threads. If you shoot lead you can usually get the lead and plastic out of the threads with a steel brush on a cordless drill. Some times you may need to run a tap in to clean them up.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In shoot a few thousand rounds a year through each of several shotguns.
I take the choke tubes out once a year, clean the threads, lube with a choke tube grease

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote