New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three Position Safeties
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Per Ed LaPour's website, his three position safeties are no longer available. What is now the best three position safety in terms of function first, and ease of installation second?

Crazy Horse only lived to be 33 years old. He was the tactician, and fighting warrior who did Goldilocks in. I wonder where that scalp resides?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bro'Dart, sorry to hear about the Lapour safety no more.
Brownells catalog shows Dakota and Gentry 3-position, M70-style safeties.

About that photo of the buck.
There was no photograph of Crazy Horse.
Just representative young buck, eh?

Crazy Horse tactics:

Crazy Horse was said to have mooned moon the U.S. Army from a little rise,
to lure them over the hill and into an ambush by a much larger contingent of Lakota and other tribes' warriors.
That was close to 10 years before Custer's demise.
December 21, 1866.
It was the Fetterman Massacre. About a hundred soldiers wiped out by about 2000 Indians.
Captain Fetterman and the cavalry were coming to rescue a party of woodcutters near Fort Phil Kearny.
The woodcutters were being fired upon by the injuns. Cavalry to the rescue.
That was real bravery on the part of young Crazy Horse,
who must have been barely past 20 years of age.
If he didn't get shot he could have been frost bit in the buttocks.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Recknagel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Satterlee still make three position safeties?

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
Doesn't Satterlee still make three position safeties?

I'd check and see if he has any in stock, Stuart's safeties are nice. If not, then Recknagel.

While not a 3 position, the Wisner two position kits are a good alternative.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the useful information.

The photo was represented as real to me. Fake news from the 1870's.

I'll give Stuart a shout. Will keep money here in the US if the Recknagels are too spendy. They look sort of stodgy.

Ahh, I keep forgetting that in this arena, if you find a great product, buy three, they will be gone tomorrow.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
History aside, I like this picture better!

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crazy Horse was said to have mooned the U.S. Army from a little rise,
to lure them over the hill and into an ambush by a much larger contingent of Lakota and other tribes' warriors.
That was close to 10 years before Custer's demise.
December 21, 1866.
It was the Fetterman Massacre. About a hundred soldiers wiped out by about 2000 Indians.
Captain Fetterman and the cavalry were coming to rescue a party of woodcutters near Fort Phil Kearny.
The woodcutters were being fired upon by the injuns. Cavalry to the rescue.
That was real bravery on the part of young Crazy Horse,
who must have been barely past 20 years of age.
If he didn't get shot he could have been frost bit in the buttocks.

Sounds similar to the Fort Smith Massacre.

Catching some rays on El Capitan:

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
About that photo of the buck.
There was no photograph of Crazy Horse.
Just representative young buck, eh?

here is a sketch that was said to be accurate by Crazy Horse's sister"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps some enterprising young gentleman (or lady) will come along and offer Mr. Lapour a reasonable price for the knowledge and tooling and take up the trade.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That makes too much sense. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Perhaps some enterprising young gentleman (or lady) will come along and offer Mr. Lapour a reasonable price for the knowledge and tooling and take up the trade.

Time for PME to make them again!
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently he is!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any link to these or contact info would be appreciated. Internet search turned up nothing.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Bro'Dart, sorry to hear about the Lapour safety no more.
Brownells catalog shows Dakota and Gentry 3-position, M70-style safeties.

Isn't Dakota Arms owned and operated by the same conglomerate as Remington Arms? If that is the case, their 3 position safeties maybe no more, until their's a change of ownership and then, who knows. Shows "Out of Stock" on that safety at both Brownells and Midway. Don't know of any others who may have stocked those. Recknagle looks better to me, haven't tried the other mentioned. Would like to see PME make one for the Mauser '98 and the Springfield. Probably not much call for Springfield, though.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Ed this AM...He's sill in business!

A long time employee passed away earlier his year, leaving Ed with the inability to keep up production on the safeties when combined with his other work.

In finding a replacement, he's up against the rules and regs pertaining to employees that is pretty overwhelming and beyond capabilities of a small shop.

So..safeties are on the back burner while he sorts this out..he looks forward to production next year

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Good to know Duane...best safety out there, me thinks!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Worth noting is that the bulge with the retaining screw under the swing arm is unique to the Recknagle. The safety on the right is an Ed Lapour.
Just pick one. Function seems to be more related to the talents of the installer.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All good news. I never heard back from Stuart.
When Ed is back in production, I will buy three (won't my heirs be happy).

I like the Recknagel. NECG charges a fair price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lakota Crazy Horse made me think of Dakota Arms, both were outstanding in their fields at one time,
and the US economy was rough on both of them. Wink

I have used one PME (Wisner), about 20 years ago, but it was a 2-pos.

I have had 3 of the Lapour's installed in the last 10 years, they are nice.

But I found the Gentry was made in stainless as well as chrome-moly, ordered from Brownell's about 5 years ago,
and made use of that as an accent on a 500 Bateleur FN Mauser with a stainless barrel.
It also has Wiebe 500 Jeffery bottom metal hanging below the B&C stock belly.

Redneck chic.
tu2
Rip ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Worth noting is that the bulge with the retaining screw under the swing arm is unique to the Recknagle. The safety on the right is an Ed Lapour.
Just pick one. Function seems to be more related to the talents of the installer.

That bulge leaves room for threaded retaining pin. Most others use a taper pin....which you have to drive thru, usually mucking up something.

Gentry is probably the nicest looking but I've experienced serious indexing issue with them..maybe just unlucky

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
quote:

That bulge leaves room for threaded retaining pin. Most others use a taper pin....which you have to drive thru, usually mucking up something.

Gentry is probably the nicest looking but I've experienced serious indexing issue with them..maybe just unlucky

I have two here with the shroud lock hole too shallow. Easy fix but why am I fixing them. I do like the screw though. I just wish they were inspected a little better before shipping out.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never new my gunsmith was so good.
He had no issues with the stainless steel Gentry 3-pos.
If it did not require fitting, I would have bubba-ed it on myself. hilbily

Lapour 3-pos uses a solid pin.
PME 2-pos had a hollow rollpin.
Recknagel do look good with the screw in the bulge.
tu2
Rip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
That makes too much sense. Wink

Lawndart,

Are you U.S.A.F.?
Just curious...from the F-16 sig pic.
My son just signed, Maxwell just months away. Hoping for a rated slot...

one of us
posted Hide Post
16 years in the blue machine. The USAF is hurting for fighter pilots. Once your son has an engineering degree, he will be in pilot training so fast his head will spin. I don't think the enlisted pilot career path is going to materialize. Being an enlisted pilot would be a hard, Hard, HARD way to go, shit rolling downhill and all...

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Don,
Could you explain to this novice what you mean by shroud lock hole? Are you saying that the plunger is bottoming out?

quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
quote:
quote:

I have two here with the shroud lock hole too shallow. Easy fix but why am I fixing them. I do like the screw though. I just wish they were inspected a little better before shipping out.
Don

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, I've come across some that were 90 degrees out. Sadly, they are the only makes of a Left Hand 98 safety (left hand bolt). Oddly enough, the lefty safeties seem to be much better. I had so many issues with Gentry Safeties that I refused to install them, except for the lefty. Dakota is nice enough but the detents are mushy and like most, the FP tunnel is oversized.

I got so frustrated with the makers only making one or two batches a year and having to wait that I started using the Wisner two position kits instead.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

No, I've come across some that were 90 degrees out. Sadly, they are the only makes of a Left Hand 98 safety (left hand bolt). Oddly enough, the lefty safeties seem to be much better. I had so many issues with Gentry Safeties that I refused to install them, except for the lefty. Dakota is nice enough but the detents are mushy and like most, the FP tunnel is oversized.

I got so frustrated with the makers only making one or two batches a year and having to wait that I started using the Wisner two position kits instead.

I won't accept a Dakota into my shop for the same reason. Out of a batch of 5, 3 indexed 180 degrees.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don,
Could you explain to this novice what you mean by shroud lock hole? Are you saying that the plunger is bottoming out?

Yes the plunger that locks the shroud. Can’t even install it without the spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished one for a left hand Zastava. A real PITA. One notable item, the firing pin spring needs to be shortened or you won't be able to assemble the safety and cocking piece. Try it a few times until you get so frustrated trying to compress the parts under spring pressure, Anyone made a tool to hold them all together?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwCDikXjCU

For those who are unfamiliar with what is necessary to install one of these safeties this video on U tube is pretty good to explain the basics.

With regard to the problems with the Gentry safety, I can see where people would want to have the smith or gunmaker of their own choosing install the safety for them, but I don't see how that should stop anyone from ordering a Gentry safety if that is what they want or that is what is available.

Why not phone them and arrange to send the bolt down there and ask them to make sure the safety they are sending back has been checked to make sure it can be screwed on completely to the bolt.

This might cost a couple of bucks extra for postage, but its better than the frustration of receiving a safety that won't screw on to the bolt.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I better check mine. Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
quote:
Don,

Yes the plunger that locks the shroud. Can’t even install it without the spring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed that PT&G sells a three position unit for $140.00 or so. Has anyone else tried them? I hate being a beta tester, but they have always cheerfully fixed anything I bought from them that wasn't working correctly. I'll try and post a picture, not that that will help much, I just like playing with Imgur.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
I noticed that PT&G sells a three position unit for $140.00 or so. Has anyone else tried them? I hate being a beta tester, but they have always cheerfully fixed anything I bought from them that wasn't working correctly. I'll try and post a picture, not that that will help much, I just like playing with Imgur.

Looks like they are selling the Dakotas even if they don't advertise them as such.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Hello Gents,
I still make the safeties.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The current Dumolin Herstal (FN) Mausers come with a three position safety and a good adjustable trigger. I just used one to build a 338/06. Very nice but my gunsmith did have to polish it a bit for me. They are available from Sarco.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I just finished installing a Dakota on an FN action and had no trouble at all.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder who is making the safeties for AHR that are used on their custom rifles.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1078981/m/4821013932

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We make them ourselves along with our triggers and many other parts. We don’t sell most of the other parts; they go into the rifles we build. We sell three position safeties for the CZ 550 in both right and left hand. They fit the BRNO 600, 601, and 602 also. We have the single stage trigger for the CZ’s and BRNO’s also.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last I knew, Wisner's in Chehalis,WA still made parts including 3 position safeties.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote