posted Hide Post
Satterlee also makes a left-hand 3 position safety

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kurtv:
Satterlee also makes a left-hand 3 position safety

The lever is on the left hand side, but it does not work on left hand actions. Only Gentry makes a safety for a left hand 98.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
We make them ourselves along with our triggers and many other parts. We don’t sell most of the other parts; they go into the rifles we build. We sell three position safeties for the CZ 550 in both right and left hand. They fit the BRNO 600, 601, and 602 also. We have the single stage trigger for the CZ’s and BRNO’s also.

I might just as well then ask the obvious question related to this thread. If you can make such beautiful safeties for the CZ's and Brno's, couldn't you also make (and sell) them for the 98 mauser.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, if I cloned myself. Too many irons in the fire already and not enough time to strike them all.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
" I won't accept a Dakota into my shop for the same reason. Out of a batch of 5, 3 indexed 180 degrees. "

WOW, what poor Q control.

When I used to set up to mill the threads on a 100 M98 sleeves at a time. I would use a set up part and eyeball the thread indexing withing .005", then I used the same 1909 Arg action for years, that I sold to Ed Lapour to set ( adjust the thread cutter ) the firing pin protrusion, and then check every 5 safeties for any problems.

Many times once set I would not have to change anything, that is what good tooling and Q Control is about.

So for them to be out even 90 degrees means the threads are off .020", and 1mm or .040" for 180 degrees.

" I got so frustrated with the makers only making one or two batches a year and having to wait that I started using the Wisner two position kits instead. "

Well back in the mid 90's I had two and a half full time machinists making nothing but safeties, we cranked out about 500 M98 units a year for several years, plus the others. And I tell you that was a LOT OF WORK on Manual machines. You do have to under stand that other parts have to be made as well to keep the cash flow coming in, and just one type of part will not work, you have to have a broad product base.

The two position safety levers we curently make 250 at a time, and the small parts 1000 at a time, just so we have enough on hand.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the originator, Jasper Raybourn, stopped making them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder why the originator, Jasper Raybourn, stopped making them.

Like many of us, I suspect old age was the issue.

He ran a small add in Rifle and Handloader, thru out the 80's, and the adds stoped in the mid 90's

I had called and talked to him once about 1989 when I had a Customer bring in one of his Speedlock Mauser Safetys. Very nice guy to talk to and he helped me work out the installation which was different due to the Speedlock. The customer bought the unit used and no paperwork came with it.

He was the first one to make a Speedlock unit for the M98, which would be the Cats Meow now for the current Zastava rifles.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 3 of the PT&G safeties, all were on Remingtons.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jasper Raybourn lived somewhere in this region at the time I believe; he had done some work for me. I believe he returned to Oaklahoma to care for aging parents and never returned to metal work. Very nice man and good quality work always.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Link to pictures of Satterlee three position safeties:

http://satterleearmsrifles.com/parts

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Last one I got from ED took less than a week to get...(was in stock at the time)is Satterlee as easy to get? I have two of Jim Wisner's 3 position safties waiting in the wings for two 98's. The PTG I have for the Remington is a good unit and easy to install.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I was on the PTG site looking at one for a mauser there was a note saying that they were not in stock and it would take 8 weeks if you ordered one. Maybe that has since changed.

Reagarding Satterlee safties, I have owned 4 of them. Each and every was was extremely well made and polished. My only problem with them was that I purchased them about the time they first came out when the price was much lower than today, and needing money more than the safeties I had to sell them all for a good profit. I wish I would have bought a hundred of them! same thing happened to me when I purchased 5 bottom metals for Mexican Mausers from Ted Blackburn at one time. I only needed one, but got a hell of a deal by buying 5. Now I don't have any.