Notify
Tools

stockmachine update.. early may 2005
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
i dunno.. ya'll tell me

jeffe's stock machine

browningguy wanted a new stock, and i had been putting him off until i got the machine right...

thanks for coming up Jeff!!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mix3006
posted Hide Post
That looks superb jeffe,the only thing I would ask you to change,if I was buying it,would be to cut down the lightening bolt on the cheek piece.Just seems to interupt the flowing lines IMHO.
What is the information on the blank that you used and what would something like that be worth?
Very beautiful!!

Posts: 191 | Location: Wollongong NSW Australia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it looks great. It is a product of the pattern you used, and should not be judged on its shape, but rather on the accuracy of the inletting.

So, the question is, when you put the metalwork into it, how close does it come???

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
the wood is a fairly nice piece of claro walnut fidle back... browningguy can tell you about the rifle it self..

i am more or less out of the blank business, but that one would be 350-400 retail, might go as low as 300-350, but not from me...

so, it's whateve you can get your blank for, and 100 for me to straight turn it from your or my pattern, and shipping

net net, that should be a 450-500 piece turned.

the inletting is NOT close, on purpose. it is undersized for a good fit. it's .080 or so too small, which allows a fella to fit it the way he wants to.

the long and short of it is that I simpley don't have enough practice with VERY close inletting to risk YOUR blank.... my blanks i can try to get better on.

have a look at the link above the pics

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe

I hate to be nosy, but I am wondering what make and model router you used for your machine.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Are ya doing 2 piece stocks yet?

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Well I've been busy making sawdust so just had a chance to look at the pics. The fiddleback looks stronger now that I'm getting it cleaned up with 100 grit. This was one of Jeffeoso's patterns, it's going on a barrelled action by Garrett Accuracy. Mauser action with #1 stainless Shilen barrel in 7x64.

Jeffes machine is a marvel, I guess going from a blank to this stage took about 1 hour or so. It does a really good job following small detail like the shadow line cheekpiece. Just needed some cleaning up with a scraper for 5 minutes and the cheekpiece was basically done. Because of the size of the bit the inletting is the majority of the work that is left. The outside is .040 over the pattern as Jeffe said, and needs sanding starting with 100 grit. I figure about 12-14 hours of final sanding the outside to get it just the way I want it.

This will be the first stock I've tried to fit metal to so that part may take me quite a bit longer. I'm planning on full length bedding the barrel and action, then I need to see about getting on Scrollcutters waiting list to get him to make a grip cap for it, also need to get on Sherry's waiting list for checkering.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

you be taken names and kickin butt..........way to go, that looks real good.

Don't forget, I have a couple of patterns if you need to borrow them.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That's great, Jeffe. Put me in line for the Browning we talked about!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
jeffe,

thumb

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG, Jeffe!
As usual great work! sorry I couldn't make it up for the event.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Excellent Jeffe! Congratulations. I'll have to swim across the Sabine to see you for my next stock. Wink

PS: I personally like that cheekpiece just the way it it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
By the way Rusty, he still hasn't raked the yard. Smiler

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
fellas,
thanks for all the comments... means alot.

jeff-browningguy has the lions's share of the work let.... i just got MOST of the wood that wasn't in his stock away from his stock. it's his first inletting experience... and i think he needs billy's number on speed dial, as billy is the best i've seen at that.

provided that the weather holds, i might turn another one monday afternoon/evening... i really want to actually work on the inletting part better, if for nothing but for my preferences.

the jury is kinda out on the zigzag for me... sometimes when i look at that pattern i don't mind it, some times i don't see it... in jeff's stock, kinda changed my opinion where i like it, as it's the only FANCY thing on a nice -to me- pattern, so it suits me.

doug, swim the 'bean and come on over... at least that texas -semi-border river has some water in it.... the rio grande is more of a danger of pulling your hip/back from being stuck in the mud than actually getting wet.

Harry, you are on for two, now... Roll Eyes

thanks Billy, i'll wind up needing em soon, i know it...

thanks Keith and Rusty...

Andy,
aint got the that part yet... heh

jeffe

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by browningguy:
By the way Rusty, he still hasn't raked the yard. Smiler

jump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffe,
Congrats, you are doing a very good job with that duplicator. One rarely finds someone with the skills to build one. My hat is off to you.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work Jeff. Congratulations.

However, I might as well call it as I see it. That "point" on the cheekpiece sucks. Ditch it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, looks really good, can't wait to see it. Do you have a 98 Mauser British express rifle pattern with a fair amount of drop?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Nice Job.

As to the zig-zag, I've got a stock with one and can't quite figure out how to remove it. We'll, can't figure out how to remove it and still have a good looking stock, lol.

Any ideas, how-to's, photo pictorials? Woodworking is not my forte.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I know nothing of the actual process required to inlet a stock other than doing it with a milling machine and taking measurements from an action. When you do it, what is tha actual process???? Do you use the actual barreled action as the master and somehow have the machine route the stock?? How do you ensure the inletting is aligned in the stock. It just seems like there are so many things that could go wrong.

Are you getting ready to do this as a business or just for grins?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browningguy,
If you have a fair amount of wood to remove on the outside and it sounds like you do, use a file instead of sandpaper. A file will leave long straight plane sufaces while sanding can easily result in dips and dives. Use sandpaper to smooth out the final shape.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks Chic and all

i am using a porter cable 1 3/4hp 120 vac
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2812

if i ever upgrade, i'll go with a 220 varispeed, but thats a bit more than i wanted to spend to get into this...

any 3.5 inch router will basically fit.

as i said, the inletting is purposely too small... which is a far better thing than too big and gappy...

if one truely hated the checkpiece line -which is a question of what suits the owner - then 10-15 mins with a rasp, reshaping into a pancake would be the best solution

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I have a few california cork wood blanks if you wanted to test your skill and take it to the next level and shoot for .040

I also have a pretty decent pattern stock too thumb

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
Jeff,

I know nothing of the actual process required to inlet a stock other than doing it with a milling machine and taking measurements from an action. When you do it, what is tha actual process???? Do you use the actual barreled action as the master and somehow have the machine route the stock?? How do you ensure the inletting is aligned in the stock. It just seems like there are so many things that could go wrong.

OEH - The barreled action and bottom metal are glass-bedded into the pattern stock. The pantograph then copies the inletting in the new blank. The better the glass-bedding job and the more precise the pantograph, the closer the new stock will be to "perfect".

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Glen71,

Thanks for the info. This then means that a stockmaker has a considerable investment in pattern stocks since he needs one for each pattern/action combination. I am surprised they don't charge more for their work.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alvinmack:
Jeff, I have a few california cork wood blanks if you wanted to test your skill and take it to the next level and shoot for .040

I also have a pretty decent pattern stock too thumb

cork? I must be being dense this morning, as cork is actually an oak... i bet you are taking a poke at cali claro... which can be VERY soft.

I'll be happy to work with ya.

On the inletting, yep, it can be duplicated from your bedded pattern... or undersized from a type pattern, with final inletting done by owner... i CAN do final.. but you won't like my prices... as it's not my favorite thing to do...

we can actually "bed" the patternwith bondo, which gives a workable inletting for duplication.. NOT FOR SHOOTING... if local, we can do it at my place, if not, i'd have to send a pattern.

speaking of patterns, anyone got any old stocks that they want to get rid of?

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe:

I've got a Borden Rimrock stock on a M1999 MRC that I would like to use for a pattern for a pretty nice Bastogne blank. But, the wrist on the Rimrock is just a touch too small. Could it be wrapped (tape?) and duped? What would you charge to dupe this stock? Any idea on timeframes?

Thanks. I think what you have there looks mighty good......

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote