New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting a 1909 Floorplate
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am fitting a couple of floorplates, one a Blackburn and the other a Wisner. There are some large dimensional differences between the two, and I would appreciate some guidance on how to proceed. The Blackburn plate is virtually a drop-in: Blackburn by William Jacobs, on Flickr

The Wisner plate has a lot of metal available for fitting: BlackburnWisner4 by William Jacobs, on Flickr
BlackburnWisner3 by William Jacobs, on Flickr
BlackburnWisner2 by William Jacobs, on Flickr
BlackburnWisner1 by William Jacobs, on Flickr

I have already serated the Blackburn latch, but you can see that the latches are quite a bit different, too:
BlackburnWisner5 by William Jacobs, on Flickr
BlackburnWisner6 by William Jacobs, on Flickr

So here is the question: How to I proceed to fit that Wisner plate and latch? Which end do I work on first?

Thanks in advance...…

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fit the forward end first, you will have to remove some material from the hinge to make it fit, Next, remove the latch and fit it to the trigger guard bow. you will need to fit the floorplate to the bow where it meets, use a file and make sure it fits up flush. The latch has to be fitted for a smooth fit inside the bow. I use superglue to hold it in place as close to flush as possible inside the bow and then drill the hinge pin hole. the final fitting is the latch to the floorplate and go slow and don't take too much off the floorplate, Copy the angle to the latch until it just snaps over the floorplate, Simple?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there is more to this post. I have it printed with pics at home. http://forums.accuratereloadin...=897105719#897105719

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Don. I can't get the photos to come up on that post. They must have gotten caught in the Photobucket fiasco.

Bill

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How I do it is fit the latch to the original floorplate first. Then fit the plate. I made a couple different jigs over the years to fit floorplates. I’ll try to find pics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Latch adjustment

Hole locating

Jig for plate milling

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Jacobs

Very good timing.

Some of you may know for the past 2 years I have been emailing out various email tutorials containing projects like this.

Just this morning I finished up a total rework of a customers Mauser 1896 guard, I cut off the old mil bow and installed a 1909 type/size of bow and then a new hinged straddle floorplate. I have been taking pictures of this reworked guard as it progress's.

Also I have in the shop an as mil 1909 Arg guard that needs the latch and floorplate fitted to it and it would make a good tutorial

Some good points have been shown and talked about so far, but as I learned at a very young age there is always more than one way to skin a critter

Any person who wants to be added to my tutorial email list, I have currenlty 52 good email address's, may simply PM me their email address here on AR so it can be added to that list.
Or my disguised email address is as follows jwisner at compprime.com

If any one who wants to post the step by step emails here on AR you are more than welcome, I am fairly sure that the Moderater would allow it.

I will start the tutorial tomorrow the 19th, installing these Custom 1909 parts into a guard.

Jim Wisner
Life Member American Custom Gun Makers Guild

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot diggity dawg! Now that is just excellent timing. Thanks Mr. Wisner. PM sent.

Bill Jacobs

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith