THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    09 Argentine lever and straddle floorplate install. LOTS of PICS

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

09 Argentine lever and straddle floorplate install. LOTS of PICS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
Here's a few pics, or more, of gunsmithing the 09 floormetal.

Had to pre polish the floorplates.

Tooling used for project:

The angled block was fit like a dummy floorplate and then flipped upside down and milled off to get the right angle. I also use this block to extend the magazine.

I use a drill upside down to locate the hole and ream with a .125"

This surface of the lever usually (not always) needs .010" taken off. I use a black marker to check if I'm zero and then mow it off. .010" worked perfect on this one.

Next I file fit this slot with a safe edge needle file.

Trying the floorplate shows that the hinge mortise is a little long and the plate doesn't fit flush against the mag box. I make sure that the front of the guard is not buggered. If it is I file the buggered parts out first so there isn't a gap between the guard and plate. THEN fit the length of the hinge.

First pic is an easy way to mill this off. You can hand file it, but I wouldn't recommend it. The pic on the right is the fixture I use for this operation. I can take off a little, try it and take off a little more without losing my zero.

The plate finally fits correctly and now it's time to drill the hinge pin hole. I use an angeled wood block to hold the plate tight to the mag box. I first set zero with the back of a drill bit. The tab on the back of the mag box is pushed against the vise jaw to set the part square. I verify this with my cross test level.

I always dial this hole in with an indicator. Just takes a minute. Then drill it with a #31 and ream with a .125" reamer.

Now it's time to fit the latch part of the lever. These are a little long to work with the different floorplates that are available. I level the surface and then mill it off. Average amount is around .015" with this plate. Other plates will vary a lot. Usually I leave this dimension a little long so after stocking and final polish the lever will still hold the plate tight.

The final step is to use a BB from my boy's Red Rider and stake the inside of the hole so the pin won't drift out on it's own.

It's done!

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1845 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jim. I hope this is the start of more how to posts.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

With that much expertise in doing these alterations it would seem that the next step would be to just make the whole unit yourself.

Beautiful work! I believe you also recontour the triggerguard bow as well, and of course do a complete polish job.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Had I known it was this easy Jim, I would have done my own instead of sending it to you. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I love it! When can I stop by and pick it up? Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James, how much would it cost to have that done on a Argie 09
if the if bottom metal is sent to you?

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can attest that James' work is outstanding. The finished product is even better than the pictures show. He is a fine craftsman.

I just hope James doesn't let this praise go to his head! Wink

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's a few pics, or more, of gunsmithing the 09 floormetal.

Where are the beginning pics?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

It makes me want a 1909 Argentine action..for just to have it Smiler

Thanks for sharing your work James dancing

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info! I like the fixtures. When are the pics of extending the magazine of that nice shiney guard coming? Big Grin
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
James, how much would it cost to have that done on a Argie 09
if the if bottom metal is sent to you?

Allen

Allen
The plate runs $60 and the checkered release $20
The smithing for these two parts around $75. Argentine guards have been bouncing around for many years and some are in pretty bad shape. The one shown in the pictures was in new, never issued condition. It still had some dings to be fixed before I could start fitting the parts. If it takes me longer to work on any given guard then the client needs to pay for it. It's really too bad that most of the 09 guards have the screw holes staked and buggered. Fixing these just takes more time/money.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1845 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Great info! I like the fixtures. When are the pics of extending the magazine of that nice shiney guard coming? Big Grin
-Don

That would run extra Cool

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
James

Excellent work and attention to detail.
Thanks for posting pictures and please keep it up.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Cool photo essay. As a custom rifle buyer the step by step photos that you and Duane post make me really appreciate the work that goes into the rifles. Thanks.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you do that for a 1910 Mex bottom metal?

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you do that for a 1910 Mex bottom metal?

No, The Mex floormetal doesn't have the same guard bow as the Arg.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should of been more specific, if I put the right trigger bow on, can you make the floor plate and convert to a hinged unit. Blackburns are impossible to get, and Sunyhills are a bit spendy, is this an option?

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything is posible, just not economical. Here's one I fitted to a yugo guard. Next time I'd cut the bow off and replace it though. With all the labor involved I can't see it being much less than sunny hill though.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with Don. It would be spendy to take the time to convert an 09 style guard for the Mex. Might be cheaper to shorten an 09 floormetal on your own like shown in the Kuhnhausen book to Mex length.

As for the price of new floormetal, I still think if Blackburn charged what they were worth, he'd have made enough money to consistently stay in business. That $300 price for first class floormetal is so far below what it's worth it's not even funny. Sunny Hill is priced closer to what it should be.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next time I'd cut the bow off and replace it though

Don, that would be the plan, I bought one of the trigger bows off this sight, so to have it welded on and floor plate made and adapted, really going to be the price of a Sunnyhill?

One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's done!

Wow! You make it look so easy...

Thanks for the tutorial.

-- Brian

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote