New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lothar Walther barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the process of having a light sporter built on a Mexican Mauser in .257 Roberts. I have always used Shilen, PacNor and years ago a few from Douglas. I've seen the name Lothar Walther on these forums quite a bit, and would like some opinions on what any of you think about the LW barrels. Although I have never had a complaint with the Shilen or PacNor, thought I might try something different.

Thanks,

Ed

Posts: 683 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know I've read scores of posts in the last few years about them and don't recall any negatives. Usually glowing claims of quality and accuracy.

Posts: 3707 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have one if they were the only people making barrels. I'd use a sling shot.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I wouldn't have one if they were the only people making barrels. I'd use a sling shot.
Butch

Can you expand on why you don't like them?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch

I don't know what Butch's problem is with LW barrels, but I would take his word for it. Why not stick with U.S. made barrels, there are plenty of them.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have 1 L-W barrel, but would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, they would probably be my first choice for a hunting rifle build. They are affordable and my 9.3 is very accurate.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez, why the negativity? I have one on a Mauser 98 in 9.3x62 and it shoots MOA or better. Lovely interior finish, doesn't foul inordinately.

One of my hunting buddies also has one and it mirrors mine in every way.

I think these are some of the finest barrels doing the rounds and the ones I've had experience with work and work well.

If someone has had a bad experience it's probably appropriate to elaborate on what the issue may have been, that way we can all be educated.

Posts: 41 | Location: Melb, Australia | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Lw barrels in my 404j and 9.3x62.
I have ordered a LW barrel for my 8x68s.
Have had no problems,good to clean and accurate.

Cheers Neale.

Posts: 55 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have been useing LW barrels for years & have have NEVER had a disatisfied customer. The quality control is amazing & Their barrels are extremely accurate.

Butch you need to get out of that hot sun for a while. Big Grin

BTW Butch it is going around in the bench rest circle that shilen is having problem with their barrel steel. I heard this from 5 different BR shooters. Do you know anything about this? What are they doing to correct the problems?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'm using a LW barrel for the first time on the 404 Duane is currently working on. I can't speak to accuracy or fouling yet but I hope everything will work out in that regard. However, my initial reaction to seeing the barrel was decidedly negative. I ordered the "H&H contour" and the barrel had three very distinct tapers that looked just awful. It took quite a bit of machine time and handwork for Duane to come up with a pleasing swamped taper.

I won't be going that particular route again.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
good barrels -- i prefer shilen, mcgowen, and pacnor, but lw makes a good product.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LW barrels are first rate. I've had several in .20 and .17 caliber, all highly, highly accurate. My 'smith said that LW and Kreiger they were the straightest barrels he had ever spun on a lathe.

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one in 308 who disapointed me. The original barrel shoot better before it had too many shoots trough it. I think the original barrel was a Shultz & Larsen.

STIGSmiler

Posts: 87 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own two in .423 great barrels as far as I am concerned! Woody the manager over in Cummings GA. has always treated me well.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A customer of mine in GA bought one and had it installed [in GA] and it had a VERY distinct tight spot. It was ent back and returned as "meeting co standards" I will go with Butch!
MP

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
It's real funny to hear about a barrel maker having steel trouble. The major barrel makers almost without exception use the same barrel steel with the same heat treat and only from a couple suppliers. Same thing happened a few years ago when a couple guys said Kreiger barrels were fouling like crazy. Man, the word spread! It was a crock. If one has trouble, so are the rest.
Each time a new lot of steel comes in to any barrel shop several test barrels are drilled, reamed, and rifling installed. It seems with each lot it takes a little different sharpening on the drills, mods to the reamer, and changes to the hook cutters or buttons.
Regardless of manufacturer, I laugh at most of these rumors. It is always I heard??
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Butch

Several of us have politly(and at least one not so politely) asked if you could explain you bad experience.

Maybe you could save us from the same grief.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBrown,
PM sent.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you read the LW brochure, they are perfection in all respects. The dimensions are uniform, they are as straight as any barrel can be. They are inspected mecilessly and quality is assured.
The reality is, they are a pretty decent barrel. The finish is good. Dimensions are fine. Some are straight, some are not. The stainless may be more resistant to erosion but it is more difficult to chamber.
All in all, I wouldn't turn one away but I wouldn't push a Shilen aside to grab one either. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3570 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 15 August 2010 03:00 Hide Post
Butch

now tell us how you really feel jumping jumping

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've fit & chambered a few(!) hundred bbls since the '60s, mostly Douglas and Shilen with a few Kriegers, Harts, Green Mtns, small-productions, rebores and military conversions thrown in. Very few LWs in comparison but every one (so far) has been a splendid barrel, 100% SO FAR. I compare this with my Douglas/Shilen record of ~80-85%, albeit with a database of several hundred D/S bbls in comparison to the database of several (grin) LW bbls.

Just wish I could find someplace to buy them other than LW or Brownell's.

Butch, I too would be very interested in learning about any LW negatives, might save me some money in the future.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JBrown,
PM sent.
Butch

Hey if you are gonna bad mouth them on the forum you need to post your justification on the same forum not send it via PM's. Confused

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Howard,
This is all I'm going to say and it is enough. Poor quality barrels and Woody.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
This forum is certain a place to express our opinions. Cheers.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK Howard,
This is all I'm going to say and it is enough. Poor quality barrels and Woody.
Butch

OK, I'm gonna betray my ignorance here: Who's Woody?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard generally great things about LW barrels. I have not used one, but would not hesitate to do so. I have used Douglas, Lilja, MRC, Adams and Bennett and Shilen. The only bad one I got was a Shilen. Jim Kobe convinced me to try them again on a project he did for me. I will see about that one once I get the stock finished.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly certain of the problems someone may think Lothar Walther barrels are presumed to have

but I can genuinely assure anyone MY Anschütz wears it WELL !. An I would to Think Olympic Biathlon shooters

would tend to agree !. I've been trying to find out info on Anschütz Hunting Rifles like where a Dealer is ?.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com...p5?menu=98&sprache=1

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
gonna betray my ignorance here: Who's Woody?
Regards, Joe

He is the head man at LW (in the U.S.)

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hartmann & Weiss have high regard for LW barrels.
Its what they were going to use for a T/d magnum mauser If i didnt specify another brand.

but its OK Butch, be a spoiled sport and dont tell us why you dont like WL barrels,
.... and I wont tell why H&W dont build rifles with an action recoil lug thats been tack welded on.... jumping

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I am impressed that you knew Anschutz rifles wore L/W barrels. I only know of two Anschutz dealers in the USA these days, Champions Choice in LaVergne, TN and Champion Shooter Supply in New Albany, OH. Champion Shooter Supply and 10 Ring Service down in FL are the only Anschutz Service Centers that I know of. I used to enjoy talking with Dieter Anschutz at the US Nationals and other major International style events. My friend needed a trigger for a 22-250 Anschutz (made by Krico) and Dieter Anschutz hand carried it over so that he could get it quicker. He didn't make a special trip, but he brought it with him on a scheduled visit. He just happened to be at 10-Ring Service when my buddy called and said he would bring one with him on his next trip.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1602 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of Airguns that wear them too!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know where they are holding up some tents also.
Butch

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Butch, that was a pretty good one. I'm pouring money into a LW barrel right now on my 404 project. If it turns out to be an erstwhile tent stake I'm going to be in a world of hurt. That's why it rarely pays to cut costs by using anything but the best barrels made; by the time you find out if they can shoot you've already invested thousands in building a rifle around the barrel.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Barrel preference always makes for entertaining conversation.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Every time I read about LW barrels, I notice that no one makes any distinction between the pre-threaded/chambered Mauser '98 barrels, and the blanks in CM and or SS. It's my understanding that they aren't the same as far as specs.

I have five LW barrels. One is an 8x57 pre-chmbered/threaded 98 barrel, three are SS blanks, and one a CM blank. I have yet to get one installed and shooting. I'm anxious to give them a try, and see for myself.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Krieger, Krieger, Krieger and in a pinch Hart for SS if you cannot find a Krieger. I have 40 Krieger tubes and have never been disappointed. That being said on the new silhouette rifle Speedy just brought me last Friday I could not find a Krieger so I got a Hart but when Speedy indicated it was as straight as an arrow meaning when spinning in the lathe it looks like it is not moving when looking down the bore. Big Grin

Some of the tubes mentioned above are not what one would consider tier 1 but to each his own. Some like cheap or possibly there may be other factors that do not require the use of best in class components. No matter how pretty it is "the only interesting rifle is an accurate one" I know this is a subjective term however when building I always consider resale not that I will ever sell any of my builds but if I did do not want it to impact the sale plus my Smith(s) will only use a handful of makers.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Krieger, have smithed a few, but my present 280 Rem-chambered Krieger-barreled Mauser won't quite make 1 MOA. Not with any load or any bullet or any scope or any bedding I've tried. So, to date, in my limited experience, LW is batting 1.000 while Krieger is batting .750.

Not taking ANYTHING away from Krieger, but a conversation with almost any serious Benchrester will soon show that a 'hummer' can come from any of the quality makers. Tony Boyer himself has said that he uses many Douglas and Shilen barrels along with his high-dollar limited-production ones.

So IMO the key is to evaluate all the reports & opinions & information available, giving the most weight to the ones with the largest database of comments. IOW 10 good reports would mean more than 1 bad report, and a maker with 10 comments would have a more-easily-evaluated rep than one with only 2 comments.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I like Krieger, have smithed a few, but my present 280 Rem-chambered Krieger-barreled Mauser won't quite make 1 MOA. Not with any load or any bullet or any scope or any bedding I've tried. So, to date, in my limited experience, LW is batting 1.000 while Krieger is batting .750.

Not taking ANYTHING away from Krieger, but a conversation with almost any serious Benchrester will soon show that a 'hummer' can come from any of the quality makers. Tony Boyer himself has said that he uses many Douglas and Shilen barrels along with his high-dollar limited-production ones.

So IMO the key is to evaluate all the reports & opinions & information available, giving the most weight to the ones with the largest database of comments. IOW 10 good reports would mean more than 1 bad report, and a maker with 10 comments would have a more-easily-evaluated rep than one with only 2 comments.
Regards, Joe

Joe those are good points and I do not know if you are in the IBS but our magazine Precision Shooter always lists equipment in the back for various matches. Take a look and you will see several makers listed over and over.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LW may make a 1 MOA hunting barrel, but you won't find any used in 100-200-300 yard BR. I haven't seen any mentioned in long range BR either. Bartlein and Kreiger are the leading barrels at this time in BR with Shilen and Broughton following up. Rock Creek and Brux make excellent 30cal. barrels. Lilja, Shilen, Kreiger, and? make CM barrels. The other guys may not.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Speedy indicated it was as straight as an arrow meaning when spinning in the lathe it looks like it is not moving when looking down the bore. Big Grin

From your sentence structure, I assume that you are talking about the Hart barrel.

Regarding barrels being straight, please excuse my ignorance, but I thought the purpose of center turning a barrel was to get the contoured blank centered on the bore? I figured that all the top brands would be centered and straight. Is this not correct? If not, then what's the point of center turning? If a company can drill a hole, and rifle a barrel, then it seems to me that the easy part would be to get the contoured blank to have the bore in the center. I don't get this concept of it being a big deal to look at a barrel that has been already center turned and have it turn with no wobbel.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote