Find
Notify
Tools

PURE WHIMSY: "Day of the Jackal" gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted
I'm speaking of the take-down single shot rifle that was hidden in parts in a aluminum crutch used in the movie "Day of the Jackal". I've always been a bit intrigued by it as something that could also be used as a survival gun. My observations of the few scenes in which the ammo is shown suggest that it's chambered in .22WMR.

Has anyone else, especially you gunsmiths, been attracted to this rifle? Is there any reality to the construction of that rifle, or is it pure fantasy?

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slingster:
I'm speaking of the take-down single shot rifle that was hidden in parts in a aluminum crutch used in the movie "Day of the Jackal". I've always been a bit intrigued by it as something that could also be used as a survival gun. My observations of the few scenes in which the ammo is shown suggest that it's chambered in .22WMR.

Has anyone else, especially you gunsmiths, been attracted to this rifle? Is there any reality to the construction of that rifle, or is it pure fantasy?

I have the hardback edition of Forsyth’s book and there is a complete drawing of the rifle and all the parts.

With the exception of “exploading†bullets there is no reason, that I am aware of, that the weapon as shown would not work.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
while this is probably total fiction, I understand that the 22LR is an assassin's bullet of choice.

it would be an AOW, and since I have seen AOW from cellphones to zippos to pocketknives, there is no reason it couldn't work

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, the rounds in the movie appear to be 22.mag (there is no primer showing when he holds them in his hand while loading during target practice)...but the book says different. It doesn’t name the exact caliber but the gunsmith tells him that it won’t be a .22 or a .300...and the guy states that it is the same caliber as a hunting rifle he was holding. That is about the only reference in the book made to the caliber.

Due to the weight and the shape of the stock I don’t think I would want to shoot much more than .22’s in that sucker.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A replica carelessly propped in the umbrella stand would certainly make quite the conversation starter.

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Misdaad/JackalGeweer1.jpg

Seems a fella could start with most any plain old 22 rimfire bolt action and solve the "what about a trigger" problem along the way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, exploding bullets do exist, but probably not in .22 mag. the russians developped exploding bullets during WW2. they had limited success but had a reputation for being unstable as I recall. All of those were 7.62x54R if memory serves.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The US experimented with exploding projectiles in the .50 BMG. They were called "spotlight" rounds and were so unstable that they decided not to use them. I understand today, that the only .50 BMG explosive rounds are the Norwegion Raufhaus (Sp) rounds.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
A replica carelessly propped in the umbrella stand would certainly make quite the conversation starter.

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Misdaad/JackalGeweer1.jpg

Seems a fella could start with most any plain old 22 rimfire bolt action and solve the "what about a trigger" problem along the way.

nordrseta:

Hey, thanks for sharing a picture of it! The main thing that looks, shall we say, unrealistic is the trigger mechanism completely built into the receiver instead of sticking out below it like on traditional rifles.

---
Eric Ching

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
FWIW, the rounds in the movie appear to be 22.mag (there is no primer showing when he holds them in his hand while loading during target practice)...but the book says different. It doesn’t name the exact caliber but the gunsmith tells him that it won’t be a .22 or a .300...and the guy states that it is the same caliber as a hunting rifle he was holding. That is about the only reference in the book made to the caliber.

Due to the weight and the shape of the stock I don’t think I would want to shoot much more than .22’s in that sucker.

Probably either the 5mm Rem Magnum or an older 25 rimfire. Much larger than that and locking lugs on the bolt would require a larger dia. receiver. I don't see why a "trigger" made in the same fashion as a bolt release button would not function...crude, but effective. At short range anyway, as I doubt you could get it down to less than 3 pounds to operate.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campffire:
I think that at least three movies of the book "Day of the Jackel" In the first, from around 1973, the "rifle" as I remember was more realistic. The movie was also better. The book is best of all. another good read is "the Dogs of War" also by Fredrick Forsyth, dealing with arms trading and the over throw of an African Government for mining rights.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fredrick Forsyth is one of those authors who researches the subject of his books really well. I would not be at all surprised if he consulted with a firearms designer for this rifle.

The exploded drawing of this rifle in his book shows and names all the parts...and there is a sear, sear spring, sear pin, etc. The thing even has a safety, a simple pin that blocks the firing pin, but nonetheless a safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't see why a "trigger" made in the same fashion as a bolt release button would not function...crude, but effective. At short range anyway, as I doubt you could get it down to less than 3 pounds to operate.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. IIRC early Winchester bolt action "boy's rifles" had a sort of thumb activated trigger. A manually set striker and a thumb operated release latch, all incorporated within the bolt, might do the trick and preserve the "lines" of the original.

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I've always been surprised that nobody's had the interest in making one. I'd be just fine with the .22WMR personally.

---
Eric Ching