New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1999 Professional Hunter - Charter Issue
 Login/Join

<Rod@MRC>
posted
Good news for Professional Hunter enthusiasts. Montana Rifle Company�s success with the Short Action and Left Hand models have prompted another good offer from Ruger. It seems Bill Ruger, Sr. started his company the same way (charter campaigns), and the present management is particularly supportive of our efforts today.

We�ve decided to launch two new models earlier than planned. The first of these is the Professional Hunter, and effective immediately, MRC will accept orders on a new �Charter Issue� program � LH or RH, stainless or Chrome Moly � all at one great price of $525.00. Delivery is 20-26 weeks after we start molds.

A few preliminary details on specifications: Ergonomics show us a 4.0-inch magazine may be pushing the optimum length of a shoulder-fired bolt action, dangerous game rifle. The PH �complete action� will be designed around the .416 Rigby and smaller, and will feature a Magazine Tray floorplate allowing four Rigby cartridges in the magazine and five of H&H derivatives. Drop box magazines will be an option. .505 Gibbs cartridges will be supported in an action correctly machined in the magazine well for width and length, but WITHOUT bottom metal and with an unmachined extractor claw. Rails will be left at the .416 Rigby dimensions. Those who wanted longer and bigger, take heart...we heard you and have outlined a SuperTac model for sometime next year.

As in the previous programs, a minimum order quantity is required to begin mold production. For the PH, that quantity is 300 units. We will not run credit cards or cash checks until we hit this milestone. The program will deliver a maximum of 500 units at this great price. Afterward, retail pricing starting at $699.00 will become effective. Serial numbers will begin with D03-0001 and run through D03-0500. Unique serial numbers are available at additional cost. To get on the list, call Dan at 406-755-4867. You can track progress at the forum below: go to gunsmithing and search for M1999 Professional Hunter.

[ 04-23-2003, 07:06: Message edited by: Rod@MRC ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod,

Sign me up I want 2 of them! Boy oh boy you just made my Wednesday!!!

When can we see some pictures of the PH? The suspense is killing me!!!

Thanks,
Dave

[ 04-23-2003, 15:39: Message edited by: DavidC ]

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'll probably be interested in one with dropped magazine box after I get my short stainless action. My credit card was debited last month but it still has not arrived.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Rod@MRC>
posted
All: Please remember. We debit credit cards when we hit the milestone. Then we commmit the bulk of the milestone funds to Ruger to START the molds. Molds are done in 8-9 weeks. First Metal comes three weeks after that and is ALWAYS wrong (with the possible exception of LA LH). The molds are modified and we do it again, and again, and so on until the castings are to print.

Only then are they machined. It takes about 30 days for good castings to flow through the process and arrive at our factory for engraving, assembly, and proofing. That's why we say 20-26 weeks AFTER we start the molds (and debit the cards).

We unabashedly use your money to bring these charter products to reality. That's why the great price -- sort of a partnership between us. At the end, after we buy all the tooling, components and labor to make each charter unit a finished product, MRC just breaks even. But, we've a new product to sell and reverting back to standard pricing takes care of business.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm officially in. I just talked to Brian @ MRC (nice guy) Told him I wanted to have serial#1 [Big Grin] , He said he'd see what he could do, but I'd definatly be under #10. He put me down for a 416 Rigby but said If I changed my mind on a caliber to just give them a call. He also said drop boxes could be specified later if the customer feels he needs one. What a DEAL, I hope they sell enough to make this happen. Terry [Smile]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I put my order in about three months ago! I want number 1! I want two and a drop box also!!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod-

Thanks, I put my order in for one about an hour ago with Dan.

I am especially looking forward to this model.

Best regards,

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I could have gone on quite a while without seeing this thread. Dang it, I ordered two (I almost ordered four)! I just ordered one in stainless and one in chromemoly (with the Rigby bolt) because I couldn't decide which one to get.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered one this morning also. Wanted the #1 but it was gone some time ago. I did get .505 and you can guess what that is going to be. May have to tempt lb404 with it when it is done.

I am tempted to go after one more, or two, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey Rod, I forgot to ask, Is the drop box extra, or is it one of those either or decisions? Thanks, Terry

[ 04-24-2003, 00:53: Message edited by: TC1 ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I could not get serial number 1, I decided that it would be good to have 505 with the appropriate caliber to match. After thinking today, I called back and ordered No. 416 and No. 404.

What a damn junkie I am for these things. My life would have been a lot simpler and I would have been much more socially acceptable if I was into drugs. Cheaper too!!!!!!

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I want number 470
I'll build my mgobo off it.

Jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seems like every one is fighting over serial number 1 [Razz] Do you think that number 1 will be worth alot more money?what about 1-10

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith, Kjell Tonheim, is placing an order for a CM action for me for my new 577 Tyrannosaur rifle. I think he will also order one for himself in SS for a 505 Gibbs...

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ulrik,

That is interesting. I had asked Rod about the bolt face diameter a couple of months ago and he told me it was limited to 0.646". Has this been changed?

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
I must admit : I didn�t know. I have just send an e-mail to Rod at MRC to clarify this.
I have corresponded with him several times lately regarding the PH action and that I would build a 577 Tyrannosaur on it. I also mentioned that the diameter of the 577 t-rex rim is .688". So I quess it will work. But we�ll see what he replies...

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Rod@MRC>
posted
Roger, Ulrik: The factory bolt will be milled to a maximum of .648 on the bolt face. This still leaves a "rim" of about .025 before you begin to cut into the 49 degree cone taper. .646 plus 2x .025 = .696. Bolt is .805. Big enough I think.

Due to customer input, we have ADDED a bottom metal plan for the .505 Gibbs version. Whether it will work without modification for similar cartridges is still in question.

Drop box magazines will be an option (upgrade) shipped in place of standard "magazine tray" bottom metal at extra cost. We don't have this priced out yet, so please have patience. It will be reasonable as are all our products.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Rod, thanks for that info [Smile] .

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod-

Thinking ahead, what will be the options available to owners and gunsmiths as to stocks for these bad boys? Purely custom? Or, will there be some other options out there?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Just placed my order for number
D03-0470
CM
Right handed
416 setup...
now, will it be a 470mbogo, 416 rigby, 450 rigby or another 500 jeffe?

Jeffe

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'll be interested in a 416Rby setup with drop box magazine. Let us know when you have the extra cost of this magazine. Also, someone on another thread said these will have unmilled/untapped double square bridges. Is that correct?

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod,
Will there be any suspected difficulties in making the 577 Tyrannosaur cartridge feed 100% perfect in the PH action?
And will the drop box take 3 rounds down ?
Ulrik

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Rod

Since you have decided to set up the PH action with 505 bottom metal as an option. Will that action also have the feed rails set up to function with the 505?

Roger Kehr

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ulrik,

I am speculating here, I would not think there would be any difficulty getting 3 T-Rex's in the mag. They are only 0.048" larger than a Gibbs. 0.144" and 3.66mm isn't much at all.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hmmm,
I am jsut wondering here...

how about a
416 rigby
24" 1/2 octagon barrel --fairly light--
or full octagaon....

add
quarter rib
barrel band sling
barrel band sight...

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Make that 26.5" exactly, short quarter rib with the sights all fold, octagon that transitions into round over about 3-4" (must meld smoothly) the banded swivel and front (sweat on) with a nice Type A short forend? The octagon slowly tapers to just about the end of the forearm then begins to transition to round. Getting hot and sweaty yet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Add a PH left-hand stainless model with drop magazine to my current order for three of the other left-hand 1999 actions. Will build a 577 TREX on it.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Roger,
between my 15 5/8 lop and a 26.5" barrel, I'll need a custom case to caryr this thing!!!

I was thinking 22-24, 1/2 octagon, wedding ring on the base, quarterrib 1 standing 1 folding, necg front sight, rust blued, and on a piece of wood JUST like my mex-376steyr....

yeah, baby, I am drooling!!!

jeffe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You all are doing me wrong!

Left handed people have it hard in this world, and the best thing we had going for us was that there weren't left handed rifles everywhere. If I didn't want another 30-06 or a 7mm, I could just relax and hold onto my cash. But noooooo! You have to go and make everything available in left handed too. I have no training in my life to prepare me to deal with this level of temptation.

My wife may have a thing or two to say about this.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, I am thinking of doing the .505 with a milled barrel with integral fixtures, quarter rib, barrel band sling swivel stud, secondary recoil lug and front sight. The mill will just be sitting there and it is only time. Half round half octagon would save me some draw filing on the rear half also over round. Mind is spinning too much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To Rod or others at MRC
I repeat: Will there be any difficulties in making the 577 Tyrannosaur cartridge feed and function 100 % reliably in the PH action. The work will be taken care of by a competent gunsmith, so my question is related to the size and the measurements of the PG action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ulrik,
I will look into your question about the 577 Tyranosaur and post when I have a honest answer.
Dan

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Also, is the drop box magazine option a certainty? Extra cost?

one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,
I will also look into this for you.
Thanks,
Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Forgot to mention: with a drop box mag- will there be room enough for 3 rounds down with the 577 Tyrannosaur (headsize .688") ??

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chic,
Man, Sounds like these are going to be great big beautiful monsters....

I am trying to get my 500 jeffe back up, so the 505 wouldn't be a sell to the wife... she knows calibers!!!

But, i don't have a 470 mbogo or a 416 rigby... heh....

Anychance of you doing a stock blank and passing it around some, for duplicators???

anyone?
jeffe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRC:

1. What is the bolt body diameter?

If it is just .700 inch, then the PH action really does not do anything that the cz550 does not already do.

2. What are the proposed specs of the super sized action scheduled for next year?

[ 05-02-2003, 04:07: Message edited by: 500grains ]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rod@MRC:
.... Bolt is .805. Big enough I think.

500g,
It's .805"

more than big enough for ME... but, remember, i chickened out on the the 585/577 I was going to build.

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I pulled two of those BIG beautiful bolts off the prototyper this past monday. They measured .860 dia. which includes stock for machining and scaling for shrinkage. These things looked positively fearsome. The pearshaped ball looked like something that could be used as a projectile in a 20mm cannon. The bolt handle looks downright spindly supporting that thing.

There is no doubt it will cast hollow. The melt in the center will still be liquid when the handle is frozen. When it cools, and shrinks, instant geode. Cool design feature, yes? A skeletoned bolt ball that you can only see with an Xray machine.

Wanna make a bet who has the first stock for one these babies? My trial run with Amaranth (Purpleheart) went fabulously well. Wait to you see this with ebony forend and grip cap. Action is a TRG-S chambered (or soon to be - hint Dan?) 458 Lott. Yes, yes, the bottom metal is finally done and we have three TRG-S rifles in progress on our new pattern. Claro, Cherry, and Purpleheart. What a trio. Anyway, Purpleheart will add at least 20 ounces to the weight of the stock, has about 70% more impact resistance than walnut, and is a laminator's dream. Had to slow the cutters down to 40% though. This stuff is tough.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote