THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester: "They will be gone in a year".
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Overheard in a gunshop today. "They won't respond to that complaint. They know they will all be gone in a year"

I do not have any more details than that so far.

Whats up?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You should know better than to believe everything you hear.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Maybe they were referring to the WSMs.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Gunshops are notorious for some of the most inane blather about hunting and guns.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I heard the same silliness once upon a time about Kimber. That was 4 years ago and last I checked, they're still going strong. Gunshop rumors are to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me claify. This was about Winchesters service organization. It was from a person in the know.

Join the NRA

posted Hide Post
I have not heard anything about it yet. However we have seen much bigger outfits go down the tubes.

Posts: 29 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Gunshops are notorious for some of the most inane blather about hunting and guns.

And sellers at gun shows. I was looking for a 12.7x108 Russian machinegun round to add to my collection a few years ago. I asked lots of vendors if they had any. Most had never heard of it. the few who had heard of it ALL told me about those clever Russkies....see...they could fire US .50cal rounds in THEIR machineguns, but the Russian rounds were to big to fire in the US .50 mg. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7580 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Overheard in a gunshop today. "They won't respond to that complaint. They know they will all be gone in a year"

I do not have any more details than that so far.

Whats up?

thta would be interesting, if winnie was a tiny division of a huge global corporation

Just who owns winchester?

http://www.giat-industries.fr/us_index.asp

or, the other way around, olin still "owns" the name... whoever makes it under license is that

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Gunshop gossip is often a long way from the truth.

I remember five years ago at one of the most prominent gunshops in Portland, the talk was that U.S. Firearms, maker of those wonderful Hartford-built (in Colt's old factory) copies of the old Colt Single Action Army revolvers, was is serious financial trouble and would soon be out of business. If you walk in there today you'll get fed that same storyline, yet, U.S. Firearms continues to thrive, add more gun models, more state-of-the-art equipment, etc., etc. If they're about to go out of business, they're not acting like it!

In reality, the talk gets thrown out in order to create a sense of urgency so that you'll buy exisiting specimens from this store's inventory (thy're stocking dealers) while they're "still available". Create some gossip that creates some sizzle that creates a sale! Same old P.T Barnum stuff you'll get handed in a lot of gunshops across the country.

All too often gun dealers make me sick with their antics.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im pretty sure they were talking about the 9422 series. If you look at the new 2005 catalog thats exactly what it states. "the 9422 will be gone in a year"

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the biggest understatement of the year, yet so very, very true.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Scott, I'm glad you brought up the Model 9422. One of the local dealers around here (this guy I trust 100%) was told by a USRAC official that the Model 9422 was going to be replaced by "something else" by the first of next year. What the "something else" is, I don't know....

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
thta would be interesting, if winnie was a tiny division of a huge global corporation

Just who owns winchester?

http://www.giat-industries.fr/us_index.asp

or, the other way around, olin still "owns" the name... whoever makes it under license is that

jeffe
FROGS!!!!!!

Actually, it was my understanding that G.I.A.T. owned a majority stake in FN a few years back, who in turn owned the marketing rights for Browning. At some point, G.I.A.T., through FN, purchased the USRA manufacturing facility in New Haven, Connecticut (around 1993 or so) and the rights to market firearms under the Winchester name (made an agreement with the Olin Corporation who still owns the trademarks). G.I.A.T was also responsible for building new manufacturing facilities for USRA/Winchester (so that we can get all of those really nice CRF Model 70s at a fairly reasonable price).

Around five or six years ago, G.I.A.T. spun off FN (who is supposed to be the parent to Winchester/USRA, Browning, and FNHUSA) through some kind of complicated stock swap deal. This isn't gun shop/gun show bullshit, I got it from people in "the know."

FYI, USRA has gone belly-up a few times since being formed back in 1981. I haven't seen any slow down in firearms produced. Under their current management, I don't see that as a possibility.

Posts: 475 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Winchester was originally a hobby of John Olin... to the best of my knowledge the company NEVER turned a profit in its history. When John Olin died it was sold by the Olin family. In the last three years or so it has finally turned a pofit. I doubt USRAC is going anywhere, though I hear the WSSM's are in deep trouble (duh... what stupid cartridges!).

BA

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I've learned to keep my ears closed in gun shops... I just run in get whatever it is that their geographical convenience necessitates that I pick up and get out.

There must be some school they send these guys to where they learn specifically how to ward off new customers with a genereal "grumpy old codger" attitude, and where everything they thought they learned in the '50s was gospel and could never change.

I've often wondered why some of the gun folklore doesn't die... i.e.: if with a gun butt sitting in the bend of your arm, and assuming your index finger can reach the triger, then that's the LOP you need.

Well, just let some guy ask about LOP at your local gun shop and listen to the typical response, and you'll see how these myths continue to live on.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul H said
quote:

Second only to Internet hunting and firearms Bulletin Boards. This of course does not apply to those present. Smiler

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Winchester was originally a hobby of John Olin... to the best of my knowledge the company NEVER turned a profit in its history. When John Olin died it was sold by the Olin family. In the last three years or so it has finally turned a pofit. I doubt USRAC is going anywhere, though I hear the WSSM's are in deep trouble (duh... what stupid cartridges!).

BA
This is incorrect. Olin, or rather his father, owned Western Cartridge prior to purchasing Winchester in bankruptcy court in 1932. They turned a fair profit, particularly during WWII, until around 1960.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Just Some Guy:
Winchester was originally a hobby of John Olin... to the best of my knowledge the company NEVER turned a profit in its history.

I think that more accurately reflects the life the Model 21.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Just Some Guy:
Winchester was originally a hobby of John Olin... to the best of my knowledge the company NEVER turned a profit in its history.

I think that more accurately reflects the life the Model 21.
Right. The Model 21 wasn't very highly thought of until Olin's involvement (field grade versions with plain, uncheckered wood, for instance).

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I understand Browning/Winchester, as it's known in France, is responsible for marketing their products here in "Old Europe". They're terrible at marketing if the presence of Browing and Winchester products in gunshops is any indication.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
U.S. Repeating Arms Corp. makes the Winchester guns, while Winchester (Olin) makes the ammo & components, permitting USRA to use the Winchester name on the guns.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Well, I think all can rest at ease that such an event won't be occurring anytime soon.

I'm figuring I'd have about the first line of communication if such an event were to occur, since we have contracts for three years out.

Furthermore, everyone at the Winchester booth seemed to be extremely pleased with the turnout and orders that were placed during the shot show. This of course is coming from the head of purchasing, senior design engineer, and head of the custom shop.

More rumor from the uninformed. Roll Eyes

When I say that of course, I'm not meaning you "Savage 99", just your sources.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
Well, I think all can rest at ease that such an event won't be occurring anytime soon.

I'm figuring I'd have about the first line of communication if such an event were to occur, since we have contracts for three years out.

Furthermore, everyone at the Winchester booth seemed to be extremely pleased with the turnout and orders that were placed during the shot show. This of course is coming from the head of purchasing, senior design engineer, and head of the custom shop.

More rumor from the uninformed. Roll Eyes

When I say that of course, I'm not meaning you "Savage 99", just your sources.

posted Feb 2, 10:16 PM
Let me claify. This was about Winchesters service organization. It was from a person in the know.

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Let me claify.

<SNIP>

It was from a person in the know.
Apparently not.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:

Paul, as one who worked for a number of years in a gunshop, I must rise and say......a truer statement has never been said. Wink

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

i.e.: if with a gun butt sitting in the bend of your arm, and assuming your index finger can reach the triger, then that's the LOP you need.

You sayin it isn't? Big Grin