New
Find
Notify
Tools

This couldn't be that hard?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What I'm trying to get done shouldn't be too hard - at least it seems to me but I'm encountering a fair amount of resistance so I thought I'd run it by some experts and get a non biased opinion.

I'm in love with mannllichers. Can't help it even tho they serve no real purpose. I have a Ruger and a Steyer.

I want to buy a new CZ 550 FS (mannlicher stock). The problem I have is I don't like sights on a gun that I will mount a scope and I plan to go with something around a 1.5-4x or 1.5-5x scope on it.

I talked to 2 local gunsmiths about removing the sights and having the barrel and action reblued - preferably in a non gloss matte finish. Both said it wasn't possible. Not that they couldn't/wouldn't do it but not possible....sounds like BS to me.

I couldn't even get a name of where I could send it to or they could send it to - to get it done.

How hard? Any ideas on where I could get it done? Or just leave it as is?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a 550 FS, so couldn't say.
But maybe you could get a different 550 and change the stock.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if I went that route I think it would just be cheaper to get a 550FS and have it rebarreled right off the bat and then blued.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's funny how tastes and preferences differ. Rifles without at least a front ramp and sight and either an open sight or receiver sight even though equipped with a scope remind me of the guy who went to work without remembering to put his pants on. He wasn't quite equipped for what the day might bring. That is especially the case with a short full stocked rifle. Winchester tried to sell them like that and they weren't long on the market. However each to his own.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sights are mounted with four screws, a look at the FS on CZ's website doesn't give a real clear view of what the front barrel cap does exactly, I mean whether or not it would look/be right without the front sight in place.

But- it appears you can remove the sights, plug the holes, reblue.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these, made in 2000. Unless something has been changed, there is no reason you can't take them off yourself with a screwdriver. You'll have to drift the front sight forward to remove it. That will expose the forward ramp screw. Remove the slide on the rear sight to get to the rear screw.
I left mine in place after I sighted it in with the open sights. The stock design allows use of either scope or open sights (at least for me it does).

Edited: The stock cap doesn't even come into play here, it just traps the barrel in position on either side of the front sight.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The gunsmiths are confusing the various CZ models. the cz 550 Magnum action barrels have intregal rear bases, that would be a mild PITA to take off.

on the question you asked, removing and rebluing is no more difficult than on a rem or win.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I belive NECG is making a peep that fits the 550 dovetail, also.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big GrinYeah, but the front sight insert may take three hands to remove. Mine is REAL tight, and the keeper has to be depressed to remove it forward not sideways. Otherwise , a piece of cake.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
The gunsmiths are consuing the various CZ models. the cz 550 Magnum action barrels have intregal rear bases, that would be a mild PITA to take off.

on the question you asked, removing and rebluing is no more difficult than on a rem or win.

The magnum barrel can be removed and have a new barrel blued and spun on. I imagine someone could send the time and grind off the rear base and reprofile the barrel, but I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to pay for it. Perhaps that's what they meant by it couldn't be done.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't care what it cost I just want it done right. I think I'm going to look into shipping it off and having a new barrel put on with the same contour since no one around here wanted to deal with it. Of course around here 99.9% of the work revolves around getting a remington auto rifle to feed again or clean a rifle/shotgun that has got to the point it no longer fires Frowner

About leaving sights on...what would be the point? If my scope fogged up or I knocked it off center I would pull out another rifle to finish the hunt.

This wouldn't be a rifle I would take on a big hunt. Just something to whack thru the thick stuff around here and shoot short range pigs and stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have filed several of the rear sight bases off 550 Magnums and posted pics here. Not much too it-just a file and a very small amount of sweat.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The 550 magnum rear sight base can be radiused to act as a base for the NECG express base which then gives it the distinct appearance of a barrel band rear sight. A very classy look.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you contacted CZ? They are very helpful over here. Couldn't be that hard to make one for you with out the sight screw holes.

I like a gun with a scope and no sights, as well.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote