Find
Notify
Tools

Attention Custom Gun Builders
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted
We have been asked several times and are considering building receiver and bolt packages for sale to custom gun builders. The package would have just the receiver and bolt as a set, no bottom metal, that would be up to the gunsmith to use sunnyhill, blackburn etc... I would also not have any small parts but would be set up to use aftermarket M70 components. The receiver and bolt would be built to our current tolerances but the feed rails would essentially be roughed in, you would have to finish that also. It would come with a list of recomended parts and where to buy, and/or a prints showing how to make the small parts. If we were to offer this, how many people would be interested in this product?

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I would, depending on the cost.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i would be interested in a NON GUN action/bottom metal to setup for duplicating stocks

also, i would be interested in your largest action to make a rifle

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
As fla3006 says;It depends how much will it cost?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
parts but would be set up to use aftermarket M70 components.

How about Mauser 98 aftermarket components instead?

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntingcat:
quote:
parts but would be set up to use aftermarket M70 components.

How about Mauser 98 aftermarket components instead?

The reason we would use after market M70 parts is that we would basicallysell our current N-Series Receiver and Bolt which is a Model 70 Design. We are in the works of designing a M98 style custom action but it is still a ways off. Cost would probably be our current price minus the work that we won't be doing. Machining these actions is not a cheap way of making them. Hopefully everyone understands we are not trying to compete with MRC, CZ and such. We are trying to provide that highest quality action possible, with custom features and flawless performance which is not an inexpensive proposition.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl

quote:
We are in the works of designing a M98 style custom action but it is still a ways off

Tell us more about this new mauser action please.

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a mistake not to include bottom metal in the USA...for one thing no one makes proper bottom metal for a 404, 500 jefferys or 505 Gibbs...

The need for such actions "at a reasonalbe price" is what is needed and what will sell.....We already have plenty of high dollar expensive actions available..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
No I am not a custom gun builder but..

1) I agree with Ray...

Big Grin

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that the Montana 1999 actions are pretty good Winchester M70 style kits. Why would we need another? Would yours be priced in the same range?

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Most guys like to buy complete packages, and I'm one of them. Now if you offered the choice of a complete action with the option of choosing either Blackburn or Sunny Hill bottommetal, I think you'd be on the right track.

Many customers like to supply their riflesmith with the action ahead of time, that way the paperwork is done in advance, and the finished product may then be shipped to them at home. Also, the Federal excise tax is much lower on an action that it is on a complete rifle built on that action.

I think you'd need to sell the concept, quality, and features your action to top custom riflesmiths first. Unless they're sold on the product, there won't be a comsumer base to sell actions to.

Also, a quality Mauser-type custom action designed around the WSM cartridges is a necessity these days. That's one action that would really sell, I think.........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am constantly amazed at the favorable responses on the MRC actions. The ones I have handled were just about the same as a Ruger. The Winchesters are smoother (machined vs. cast) and not a lot more money. Of course the Hein actions are vastly superior because of the tight toleraces that are held (hense the reason for additional costs).

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntingcat:
It seems to me that the Montana 1999 actions are pretty good Winchester M70 style kits. Why would we need another? Would yours be priced in the same range?

huntingcat, I think Karl touched on that above, when he stated:

quote:
Hopefully everyone understands we are not trying to compete with MRC, CZ and such. We are trying to provide that highest quality action possible, with custom features and flawless performance which is not an inexpensive proposition.

What is unclear to me, is how this proposed action will differ from the Mauser action Waffen Hein is already selling, or whether this is intended as a "super-M70" (which would put it in competition with the Dakota)???
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The need for such actions "at a reasonalbe price" is what is needed and what will sell.....We already have plenty of high dollar expensive actions available..

That is not going to happen here. The reason being that in the good old US of A there is much more in the price of that action than there would be if it were made in many other places.

Not only is the cost of the raw material itself in that action, but at each step of the way, wherever that raw material has been touched, tooled, or passed through, there is Social Security Taxes, Sales Taxes, Health Insurance, Owner Dividends, Sick pay, vacation pay, Health insurance, Hospitalization insurance, transportation costs, rent, maintenance, utilities, labor, tooling, and on and on into the night.

That is how a $25.00 piece of steel becomes a $2500 piece of steel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

What is unclear to me, is how this proposed action will differ from the Mauser action Waffen Hein is already selling, or whether this is intended as a "super-M70" (which would put it in competition with the Dakota)???
- mike[/QUOTE]

Mike,
Nothing new here, just thought guys might be interested in buy components rather then the entrire action. Many times people buy and action only to customized it with different bottom metal, triggers, etc. If we sold only the receiver and bolt than they wouldn't be paying us to do something they are going to undo. So the receiver and bolt would be the exact design we use on our N-Series action.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com