New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger adjustment for Remmington 700
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I shot in my 270 and my daughter in laws 700 gift.

It is amazing what the Hornaday 130 gr whitetail hunter bullets will do. I had Identical groups from both rifles that you could over lay. These rounds also shoot under 3/4 groups in my 7 mag and 7mm-08 in 139 gr. I cannot load that hot and accurate.

Her rifle probably has an 8 pound trigger pull with no creep.

I cannot find my instruction on how to adj the trigger and after 30 years I cannot remember how to do it safely.

Can someone post up a picture of what to do? I can rem there are two screws but not how to adjust it safely. Thanks, Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have adjusted several 700 triggers but it has been a long time. I believe the screw that has the allen head at the muzzle end is the one that adjusts the pull weight. Turning it out lightens the trigger. I have lightened a couple triggers to a really light trigger pull but after setting a week they would slam fire, so don't try to get too light. I have owned some Rems that had good triggers and some were so heavy that I couldn't live with them. Just never could figure that out. Maybe it was just luck of the draw on who installed the trigger. Also, don't forget to put some nail polish or lock tite on the screw heads after you are finished adjusting so they don't move under recoil.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Just do a google search for adjusting Remington 700 triggers and you'll find the instructions.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Here you go.
https://www.sniperforums.com/f...ton-700-trigger.html
I'll just add that whenever I have done this, after adjusting, I take the rifle and whack it as hard as I can with my hand and bounce it on the butt end a few times to make sure it doesn't discharge from handling.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Shilen trigger.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Here you go.
https://www.sniperforums.com/f...ton-700-trigger.html
I'll just add that whenever I have done this, after adjusting, I take the rifle and whack it as hard as I can with my hand and bounce it on the butt end a few times to make sure it doesn't discharge from handling.

Add to that this: lightly place your finger on the trigger and take it off safe. If it discharges, you are too light. There are plenty of high quality triggers available for a 700, so don't push it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7574 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Purchase a Trigger Tech Standard trigger group & install or have it installed/adjusted.
(1 detented adjustment)

The above option should eliminate another incompetent attempting to adjust a trigger & then suing Remington for their ignorance.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
considering the number law suits Remington has going at this time, Im not sure I want to be in the same room with a Remington trigger..Id replace it for sure..Thats whey they have gone to 8 lb. triggers is my guess..Just my two bits.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I set it for 3.5 and beat and banged with no discharge.

Bk in the 80's I had one set too lite and had it go off with a very lite trigger. Had a hole in my old pop up in the early 80's. Smiler

What is killing me is the 6.5 Trigger pull on the Palmetto arms build.

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I work at a Remington repair center and for the last two years have been replacing triggers in M700's. Probably over 400 to date. More recently we have been receiving the Walker trigger guns that were implicated in the lawsuit. I've done about 100 of those. When they arrive I test them for accidental discharge. About 1 in 10 fail the test. In every case it is due to gummed lubricant in the trigger mechanism. Apparently whatever lube Remington used turned into a gummy varnish over time. I doubt they could have foreseen that. When kept clean and lubed with a non-gumming oil there is nothing wrong with them. In fact they can be adjusted to very light, crisp, and safe pulls. If you have an older M700 you need to visit the Remington website and plug in your Ser. no. into the warranty module to see if you need to send it in for a free trigger replacement.

If you want to safety test your M700/7/600 trigger for safety do the following:

* Make sure gun is unloaded.
* Cycle the bolt smartly three times. If the cocking piece follows down it is a failure.
* Cycle the bolt slowly three times while pressing on the cocking piece with your thumb. A follow down is a failure.
* Cock the gun and place on safe. Pull the trigger and release. Quickly place safety to fire. Do this three times. A snap is a failure.

The reason for failures is that the gummed lube prevents the trigger and/or sear from re-setting fast enough.

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
considering the number law suits Remington has going at this time, I'm not sure I want to be in the same room with a Remington trigger..Id replace it for sure..Thats whey they have gone to 8 lb. triggers is my guess..Just my two bits.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't periodic maintenance a beautiful thing?

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took an armorers course at Remington years ago and they stated NEVER NEVER USE WD 40 on the 700 triggers. This was sometime in the 90's.

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Walker trigger was and is a good, fully adjustable, trigger. The fact that it utilised a superfluous part (the sear connector) does not really detract. Interestingly enough, the Trigger Tech trigger also uses a part which, though they call it differently, could be described as a sear connector.
The Walker trigger is a relatively simple mechanism. If by looking at the trigger, one cannot figure out which screw does what, he probably shouldn't mess with the trigger. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is painful for me to bag up and send back those Walker triggers. They are solid adjustable triggers capable of wonderful crisp pull weights.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
The Walker trigger was and is a good, fully adjustable, trigger. The fact that it utilised a superfluous part (the sear connector) does not really detract. Interestingly enough, the Trigger Tech trigger also uses a part which, though they call it differently, could be described as a sear connector.
The Walker trigger is a relatively simple mechanism. If by looking at the trigger, one cannot figure out which screw does what, he probably shouldn't mess with the trigger. Regards, Bill

One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
Say you have gummy residue in the trigger.
How do you clean it? Varsol then brake clean?

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a lot of the residues brake clean is more effective than is varsol. If a trigger is really gummed up, it is often necessary to completely disassemble the trigger in order to clean it. If one is not familiar with the triggers, he probably should not do this. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3571 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Varsol or Kerosene won't dissolve it. You need brake cleaner or lacquer thinner. Ideally the trigger and sear connector should be removed for cleaning. A lot to keep track of when disassembling a Walker trigger. Ball bearing, c-clips and such. You really need slave pins to install it properly.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
On a lot of the residues brake clean is more effective than is varsol. If a trigger is really gummed up, it is often necessary to completely disassemble the trigger in order to clean it. If one is not familiar with the triggers, he probably should not do this. Regards, Bill