New
Find
Notify
Tools

acraglas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
when mixing brown pigment into acraglas to match wood stock finish do you make it as close to the stock color or does the glass cure darker or lighter than it appears before it sets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always mixed it to a close match.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i mix with sanding dust, about 50% -- that makes it DARKER than stock, so i have a chunk of blonde walnut that i use to make dust

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you for the replies.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
So you dumb down the acrglas

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i mix with sanding dust, about 50% -- that makes it DARKER than stock, so i have a chunk of blonde walnut that i use to make dust

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, mixing saw dust for filling cracks, etc, is fine, but for recoil management, mixing with saw dust does not enhance it's strength properties. IE, it makes it weak.
Does it matter? Probably not.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
When using the supplied pigment the cured acraglass will be the same shade as when mixed.

Posts: 87 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually dye my Acraglass gel black.

If you get the brown too lightly colored it really shows up.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

MarineTex is already black when you open the can.

popcorn Just sayin.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone, i just want to fill a small crack around the inletting and try to match the wood color.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would never want black colored glue or bedding to use on a wood stock. When bedding black plastic stocks, I color the Acraglas, black. When working on brown stocks, I color it, brown.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I would never want black colored glue or bedding to use on a wood stock. When bedding black plastic stocks, I color the Acraglas, black. When working on brown stocks, I color it, brown.

The wood goes right to the metal when you inlet, so you NEVER see it anyway. he he he

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
marine tex - is that the stuff they bed blasers with - so they be used as a boat paddle?? stir

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will never use black glass on a wood stock; see it or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I will never use black glass on a wood stock; see it or not.

You sound like my ex-wife. Just because it worked better than her way, didn't make it right! LMAO ROFF ! ! ! !

HEY ! I had a few Blasers. I sold them. I'm feeling MUCH BETTER NOW ! LOL

Rod Henrickson

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
So you dumb down the acrglas

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

yep .. if i am repairing a mistake .. *I* bed rifles with marine tex gray - works way better in big bores and makes highly accurate mediums

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
marine tex - is that the stuff they bed blasers with - so they be used as a boat paddle?? stir

marine tex gray is different mixture than marine tex white .. the white is flexible ...

don't recall seeing "back"..

btw, NEITHER take stains very well

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

I call the grey, black. After it's hardened and shiny it looks more black than grey, to me anyway. The black seems to have nearly double the compression strength of the white. The grey also mills perfectly clean and doesn't melt under carbide end mills run at high speed. The white, not so much. I got a tub of the white by accident one time and being the know-it-all-hero that I am, I figured that I could make use of it anyway. I tried coloring it but the white pigment that they use is so strong that you had to mix in 4 parts pigment just to take the glare off of it. It also cut very poorly in the mill and would soften quickly under the heat of the palm sander like Accraglass does. At $160 CAD per tub, it was a rather expensive mistake which I never made again.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Marine tex cures more black than gray..

I prefer a clear coat of glass painted on the a finished inletted stock, it looks like finished wood and glass should never show itself on a properly finished stock..

If your doing a factory stock please con't cut out the inside edges, but out underneath them so you don't have a black, brown or whatever line on each side of the barrel as millions have been done.

the guy that hogs out wood and fiberglass and gobs in glass bedding should be gilflurted and stringhaultered, and they are many, but to each his own, whatever blows ones skirt up! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote