Find
Notify
Tools

Pitted Bore
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted
I am thinking of purchasing a double rifle, 500 BPE. It has pitted bores. Is there any way to line these?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short answer is yes, but cost would probably be prohibitive and subsequent regulation to each other and the sights might be problematic. The last fellow I heard of who did this sort of work charged $1500 and took 18 months to regulate 2 new barrels to each other and the sights. These were new barrels that were already chambered and installed in their monoblock by someone else, so I assume the relines would add quite a bit more cost as well as time.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post

Keep looking, there are plenty of nice BPEs with decent bores.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I would probably ask for a shooting inspection .. I've seen bolt guns more frosted/pitted that still shot well.

if the gun shot in decent regulation, I would be interested ...

just my opinion

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39618 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
I would probably ask for a shooting inspection .. I've seen bolt guns more frosted/pitted that still shot well.

if the gun shot in decent regulation, I would be interested ...

just my opinion

I had a very old mauser with the original barrel and it shot very well considering it's age and how salt and pepper the bore was.
With factory ammo it shot under 1.5 moa
It may have shot better with reload maybe not but for a 1891 it wasn't bad

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that much of the inaccuracy sometimes encountered with old pitted & worn barrels can frequently be significantly improved if not totally corrected by a modest counterbore/recrown. Of course this is especially true of rifles cleaned from the muzzle, like Martinis and many lever actions. On several occasions I've recrowned rifles that had keyholed their bullets before the recrown, and found that that same seemingly worn-out looking-like-a-rutty-muddy-road barrel would now group within 1.5 MOA or better all day long, after the recrown. Doesn't work in every instance but it's often worth a try.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote