New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN 49 rebarrel
 Login/Join

<Kerry.S>
posted
Has any one rebarreled a FN 49. I've rebarrled an AR 15 and a feww bolt guns but not one of these and since the rifle is not here yet I would like to know if there are any special tools/ problems with them.
Thanks Kerry

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I never have but I'm just courious. What do you want to rebarrel it to?

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
8x57 ammo is so cheap, and you can get new barrels for $49.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Kerry.S>
posted
well that what he wants. we're just replacing a bad barrle. It will be 8x57.
just being a semi auto I though there might be some problems with the gas tap or the head space. I've never worked on one of these and since I don't have the rifle yet I was wondering if there are any tricks that I should know about.
Kerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just had one done. There were several things to consider.

First, if you have a Century Arms gun, it will prbably not be able to keep the threaded muzzle. My gunsmith called Century and they all thier guns fall in as "post-ban" guns. I was required to put on a muzzle break or weld on the muzzle cap. I went with a break.

Second is that the '49 headspaces with a locking shoulder similar to the FAL. Shoulders come in different sizes in incrments of a couple thousanths each. It will not be a big deal if the rifle headspaces with the locking shoulder it currently has. If not, they are very hard to find, you would probably end up having to have one made.

I am doing mine here in Atlanta, I will try and post the results when I get them back along with the final cost, or youcan shoot me note and I will give you the results.

I had already dropped it off locally, but later found a guy in Arizona, the Gunplumber at ARS who does great work on FALs and FN 49s. He had given me a price of $100 to install the barrel, and $100 for to make a new locking shoulder if needed. He has a great rep, and I hope I do not regret not sending it to him first.

Posts: 130 | Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote