New
Find
Notify
Tools

Critique this action for me please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't know that much about Mauser actions, but I need a new project. Good and bad please.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...rndorf_Mauser_action

I'm stationed overseas and this would keep me (actually my Dad) busy sending it from gunsmith to gunsmith. I have enough Whelens, so it would end up being either a .280 or a 338/06.

Thanks,
Rob

NRA Life Member

Posts: 422 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
action looks polished to wavy
has pits that didn't polish out
Sn is down right ugly

bottom metal is spendy
trigger is good, but not spectacular

if i was considering it, the trigger and bottom are interesting, the rest is kinda middlin

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Jeff said & I might add that that trigger guard is worth a hell of a lot more than that Turk action!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Looks a shame to put that bottom metal on that action.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do a lot better...Due to agressive polishing, this action would end up in my spare parts bin.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
You can do a lot better...Due to agressive polishing, this action would end up in my spare parts bin.

I'd love to see whats in that bin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would be wrong with surface grinding it and having the serial number ingraved back into it ? Then for those that worry about it have it re-hardened.

For once I would have to agree with Kevin I too would like to see what is in Duane's parts bin.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Rob:

In my limited experience, I think that like the above comments, the action was too aggressively polished. I run away from overly polished actions. Also, if the bolt was overly polished (look for rounded corners on the guide rib and the extractor collar cut in the bolt body), it will be really sloppy and can bind a bit.

For $650.00, you can do a lot better in my opinion.

My best luck has been with either a kinda beat up original rifle: K98k Czech or German make before 1944, 1908 Brazilian or 1909 DWM Argentine or one of these same actions that was slightly sporterized.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd offer him 250, keep the bottom metal and trigger and throw the rest away

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weaveman:
What would be wrong with surface grinding it and having the serial number ingraved back into it ? Then for those that worry about it have it re-hardened.

For once I would have to agree with Kevin I too would like to see what is in Duane's parts bin.

James

other than its a felony to remove the SN .. doesn't matter that it "happens all the time" ..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
I dont know 100% for sure but I was told by an engraver if you want to change the serial number location you can engrave the same serial number in the new location, then when the reciever has two serial numbers the old one can be removed, but you can absolutely not remove the number and then replace it after grinding. (iam sure its done all the time on mausers). If you want the number in the same place I think you would legaly have to do 3 serial numbers original, engrave one on the bottom, then grind, and engrave again where the original was so now it has 2 of the same number. Any one know for sure? I would like to know for future reference.

but I dont think a new serial number on this action will get it worth having the sunny hill bottom metal on it. look for something nicer and then add the bottom metal

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
You CANNOT change or remove the serial number. regardless of whether you do it before or after adding it in another location

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been wondering the same thing about the serial number. I have seen posts with pics of rifle builds where the serial number is engraved by someone other than the smith building the rifle. I have also seen post with pics of recievers being surface ground and it doesnt appear that the serial number was spared during the metal removal on.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duh,
What about all of those K98s with no serial on the receiver?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by weaveman:

James

other than its a felony to remove the SN .. doesn't matter that it "happens all the time" ..

I doubt that any gunsmith has ever been charged for surface grinding an action then immediately re-stamping the numbers.

Has any gunsmith ever refused to surface grind an action (with the understanding that he be would re-stamping it) because it would remove the serial #?

It is also illegal(jay-walking) to park across the street from your house and cross over unless there is a cross-walk, but it is done about 250,000,000 times a day and I have never know anyone to be ticketed.

Jeffe, sometimes you are such a stickler....
Wink

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
It's way too expensive to look in Duane's parts bin. I know that he has one client who looked in there three times and ended up with Duane building him three guns around parts he found in there.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomer

Would that client be you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck1911:
You CANNOT change or remove the serial number. regardless of whether you do it before or after adding it in another location

That's the bottom line.

You can request BATFE permission to move the location and remark the mfg'rs orig ser#. But it is most often not granted, especially when the reason(s) are for customizing work. I tried twice and was refused. Hamilton Bowen doesn't even attempt to try anymore in his work.

Of course you see it done all the time, but that doesn't make it any the less illegal. It falls under the felony of no alteration, obliteration or removal of the manufacturers serial number. It's been that way since at least 1938.

One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2152hq:
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck1911:

That's the bottom line.

You can request BATFE permission to move the location and remark the mfg'rs orig ser#. But it is most often not granted, especially when the reason(s) are for customizing work. I tried twice and was refused. Hamilton Bowen doesn't even attempt to try anymore in his work.

Of course you see it done all the time, but that doesn't make it any the less illegal. It falls under the felony of no alteration, obliteration or removal of the manufacturers serial number. It's been that way since at least 1938.

when you say you cannot period please give facts or ATF regs.

http://www.jbcustom.com/page79.html

This guy changes serial numbers all the time. He even changes the ORIGINAL USE of a rifle to pistol which is a big deal. With a class 11 manufactures license I am pretty sure you can make a new serial number anytime you customize an action to make it unique, and if changeing the use of the gun you fill out ATF paper work and as a class 11 manf. they approve it everytime just for customizing. Just a gunsmith or guy off the street maybe not.

I have seen the mares leg in hand and if I remember right he adds a - then his personal serial number to the end of the original. I am pretty sure thats changing a serial number.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Just a gunsmith or guy off the street maybe not."....A gunsmith is supposed to have at least an 01FFL,,more recently the BATFE has started to push a manufacturers FFL for those that do work considered 'manufacturing a firearm (for tax purposes)' and those tax purposes have little in most instances to do with real manufacturing but that is another subject.

My experience as an 01FFL in requesting to move a mf'rs serial number for purely custom/appearance purposes (engraving) were denied. An FFL w/a manufacturers license and is actually modifying an existing frame/receiver that requires the number be moved as part of the mods I'd expect would get permission,,at least I'd hope they would!. Paper work involved as stated.
There are standards in print as to size, font, depth of impression, method of impression, etc for serial numbers,also location of the number on the frame for mfg'rs of firearms.

Bowen used to install lanyard swivels of factory style on the butt of the frame on S&W revolvers and to do so required the serial number to be moved, else the swivel would go right thru the number (obliterated).
Then the BATFE started denying the request to move the serial number to the side of the installation as had been done earlier. So he has stopped doing that work,,stopped trying to get permission. Why the change?, who knows,,different people in charge, only a purely cosmetic change, etc.
For the same reason, his custom light weight Ruger SA revolver frames must go w/o the scallop cuts to the side of the frame where the ser# sits. Colts can be cut as the ser# is on the bottom.
I've seen other gunsmiths copy the style and go ahead and cut Rugers on the sides and simply hand stamp the number on the bottom. Nothing said about moving the number, legally or not. I suspect the latter but who's going to chase down every case of a ser# moved as someone has already stated..

The GCA reg pertaining to removed, obliterated or altered mfg serial numbers begins "No person shall..... That doesn't leave alot of room for anyone w/o some sort of specific permission from the BATFE. All 50 states also have similar if not exact language re: firearms serial numbers in their state laws. One state at least (Illinois) even has regs specificly prohibiting removing ANY factory markings on a firearm including mfg'rs name, model, caliber, proofs etc. That would really make a mess of things for some of the custom guns that have had most if not all of the original markings taken off for cosmetic reasons (in good taste IMHO too!)

The '92 mare's legs shown are mfg in Italy as a handgun and as such require no special registration as a SBR. With proper paperwork submitted and approved by BATFE it is possible to convert a rifle to a SBR and register it as such (with payment of Fed Tax for manufacture and again for transfer).
The approval must come before the work is done in such cases as does the payment of the mfg tax.