Find
Notify
Tools

Moly be gone
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I know many of you are going to say, "You shouldn't have used the stuff from the start." I did. Now, I want to remove moly from one of my rifle's barrels. I have: Iosso bore cleaner in the tube, Hoppe's #9 Nitro Solvent, Remington Bore solvent in an aeresol can, and Shooter Choice Copper solvent. The Iosso is the only product I have that claims to remove moly. I tried it according to instructions, but from the looks of the patches, it isn't working well. The fellow who suggested moly to me says he cleans his barrels with nail polish remover???

How does one get moly out?

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been some good men try moly and fail.
Some sent me thier bulletsSmiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
After a proper scrubbing, you can consider the moly gone. What remains will have little to no effect in the short term and will be forgotten after a the first 5 - 10 shots with nekkid bullets.

And send me whatever mollied bullets you may have! I'll pay shipping, no problem! Wink

Redial

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
There have been some good men try moly and fail.
Some sent me thier bulletsSmiler

Actually, I am removing the moly so that I can shoot some bare bullets through the rifle for comparison. I am a long way from giving up on it.

As a matter of fact, after cleaning with everything I have and satisfying myself that I removed all of the moly I know how to remove, I cleaned the barrel with Shooter's Choice Copper remover just to see how the patches compared with my other rifles. Not even a blue speck! If moly prevents copper fouling...enough for me! I'll keep using it. Do you guys have similar results?

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bore Tech makes a product called 'Moly Magic' which is for removing moly. I used it on my 1X14" twist .243 after I got over the moly craze.

It worked well but isn't a 'one-swipe' type of deal. I had over 100 rounds of moly bullets through the rifle and it did the job.

Cheers,

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
i have used lps contact cleaner it cuts the moly quick.
Then a normal cleaning with what bore cleaner you like.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"that's the reason that moly bullets go slower...." BS! Powder charges need to be increased slightly, when using Moly, because they build less pressure due to the lubricity of the Moly. If the Moly caused drag the velocity would be higher due to increased pressure.
Comparing Moly coated, copper bullets to steel ram and press parts is absurd. There are few better lubricants than steel to steel. WHEN HEAT IS NOT A FACTOR. (caps for emphasis)

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
seriously.. 10 or so bridger solids or tripleshock bullets.. the bands wipe the barrel very well...

ONE will clean 20 cast bullets

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
born to hunt;
I have had simular experiences.
I have shot up to about 150 rounds 243AI with out cleaning with no adverse affect. one wet patch and a couple dry ones cleans the barrel real good. no build up on the throat as I have read about and early on I did brush the throat and It didnt make any diffrence in the barrel.
velocities were constant, standard deviation stayed well under 10f/s and extreme spreads were non-existent. I have nothing to compare to velocities, only that I am loading to achieve 3200 to 3300 f/s using 85 to 95 gr bullets.
I have used imr4350, imr4064, h414, ww760,
H4831sc, and Varget.
After the 50 rounds of Varget I plan on cleaning out the moly and trying a couple trials of bare bullets for accuracy.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iosso liquid removes moly from bullets in no time at all, I soaked a few hundred molyed bullets and they were clean in a half hour or so. Don't think for a minute that moly keeps copper out of the bore. It may be somewhat hidden by the moly, but it is there, and a lot harder to remove.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Bubba - Eddie is absolutely correct. The reason why you see a reduction in velocity is because moly decreases bullet friction in the bore and this decreases chamber pressure, burn rate and thus velocity. Chamber pressure tests have confirm this situation.

If you match chamber pressure between naked bullets and coated bullets, you will net higher velocity with coated bullets. Of course it takes a greater powder charge using moly to match chamber pressures.

If you want to remove moly, I would suggest Moly Magic. It does talk a little time, but I would avoid aggressive scrubbing. Let the solvent do its thing and patch out. I soak my moly bores over night and patch them clean. Moly gets burnished into the voids in the bore making it a little tough to remove. Moly Magic must get beneath the moly to loosen its bonding with steal. This takes time and not elbow grease. You may also want to try long soaking time with Kroil. It will also float moly...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with moly was with my 7mag. I coated my own using my tumbler and loaded the same load that had shot under .8" for me for several years. The groups were a mite larger (.9 or so) but the velocity was down about 300 fps. Since the load wasn't a max load, I started bumping up the charge and running them across the chrono. I got back to the same group sizes and MV before I got to the max charge or had changes in brass/primer/bolt lift that indicated too-high pressure indications.

That barrel is long gone now, and results have been so good in the present barrel with uncoated bullets, I've not tried any more moly.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"