THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Remington ADL and BDL receivers the same?
 Login/Join

<Tunacan>
posted
Hello,

Just a quick question. Are Remington ADL and BDL receivers the same? Is there a difference in quality.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tunacan:
Hello,

Just a quick question. Are Remington ADL and BDL receivers the same? Is there a difference in quality.

Thanks

Yup!
good luck

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
They are basically the same but the BDL version has a jewelled bolt and a higher level of finishing overall. The ADL usually has a blind magazine (which means you have to cycle the action to remove the ammo one by one) instead of the usual drop plate or a magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mechanically the same. In fact Brownells sells a conversion kit to make your ADL into a BDL. It is a bit pricy though.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh! The safety is different. The ADL lets you work the bolt with the safety on. My Father missed a nice buck beacuse of this. He had a BDL and I have a converted ADL. He figured that if the bolt moves the safety is off. Wrong! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeez! Hey?, the the hell!!!

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
scot -
I do not think the safety/bolt issue is model-specific, I think you and your Dad have guns made at different times. All 700's made after sometime in the 90's (I think) have a bolt that can be worked with the safety on or off. Older 700's, either ADL or BDL, must have safety off (ready to fire) in order to work the bolt.

Some lawsuits were a result of accidental discharges (if you believe in such a thing) from people working live ammo through the action in order to unload the gun. There was a thread in here early last year about why Remington didn't do a recall to modify the safeties. If I remember correctly, the final conclusion was that Remington figured it would cost more to recall/repair all the safeties than would be lost in lawsuits, kind of like Ford and the flaming Pinto. I'm not saying that's what the actual reason was, only the consensus among those involved here.

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R-West, this is sort of straying off of the subject, but the old Remington safeties, especially those on the 600 series, were a real hazard in some instances.

The big lawsuit over it was here in Texas. Seems that on some of them, if you tried to pull the trigger while the gun was in the safe position, nothing would happen, which is as it should be. But then, when the safety was moved to "fire", the firing pin would fall without any further movement of the trigger. I think you can see where this leads.

In the Texas case, a youngster went to unload his Model 600, and when he moved the safety, the gun discharged striking his father in the back and permanently disabling him. Now, of course, the gun obviously wasn't pointed in a safe direction, but no shooter expects the gun to discharge simply by moving the safety. The plaintiffs prevailed.

In my opinion, the failure of Remington to recall those models was the height of corporate irresponsibility (even worse than Enron). At least they changed the "safety".

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek -
Was it just on the 600's? I thought I heard somewhere about a similar incident involving a 700. Even if such a thing did occur, a lot of the lawsuits require the records to be 'sealed', so it's almost impossible to get any info.

You're right - any manufacturer who allows a proven defective product to remain on the market should be drawn/quartered.

R-WEST

------------------
"it is up to God to judge these terrorists; it is up to us to arrange their meeting" Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
Gentlemen,

I have a 700 bdl custom gun, the trigger was worked by a very reputable smith. When I first got it back if you put pressure on the trigger in safe position then (no further touch of the trigger) pushed safety into fire position the gun would fire.

Don't learn the hard way, DONT TRUST ANY SAFETY! and BE FAMILIAR WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT!

The people who only touch guns a couple times a year are the dangerous ones.

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Again, ya ain't got to cycle a cartridge into the chamber to empty the magazine on an ADL. I hold my rifle with my left hand around the magazine with the rifle tilted about 30 degrees on it's side and work the bolt just enough to kick the cartridge out of the magazine and it falls right into my hand.

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.

<sure-shot>
posted
I unload all my ADLs the same as ol' Sarge, just short-stroke the bolt. sure-shot

<sure-shot>
posted
The BDL detachable-magazine action is different in the ramp area from the BDL hinged-floorplate action and won't feed properly if the bottom metal is swapped a 'smith once told me. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bdl actions that come with the detachable magazines have no feed rails so they can't be converted to work with a floorplate or blind magazine.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote