Find
Notify
Tools

AR 10 parts interchangeability
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lads,
Hope this is the proper forum to pose these questions - if not, please inform this humble knowledge seeker.
I'm in the process of securing a DPMS Oracle. It's pretty basic, and I'd like to change out the butt stock and forend. I'd like to replace them w/MOE parts. Question, can AR 15 parts be used, or are the AR 10 parts specific to that platform???
This gun will be used primarily for checking my deer camp in the off season - bears, wolves, coyotes, porkies, cougar and the occassional yeti are known to exist.
I've had too much "stuff" get caught in my AR15 stock and sights, so I'm trying to "smooth" out the profile - fair amount of cedar swamp stuff to slog through up here and I seem to collect a lot of dead twigs etc. in the collapsible stock.
Comments are solicited and thanks in advance.
Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
AR-10 is a trademark of the ArmaLite Corporation and if you have a rifle made by DPMS, then you don't have an AR-10.
I know that thel AR-10 lower uses parts made for the AR-15. Upper parts are unique. You will need to ask DPMS which parts they use on their copy of the ArmaLite rifle.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just contact Magpul and ask them? DPMS says commercial tube size on their web site, be sure to measure to make sure. Quick way to tell: Remove the butt-stock, (pull up hard on catch and slide off stock) commercial tubes are angled at the rear. (How to instructions at AR15.com) Smiler

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
(excluding colt only parts/pins) everything in the lower and buttstock, EXCEPT THE BUFFER AND SPRING, from an ar15 CAN be used on an ar10 (ar-15 is also a trademark..)

it is considered dangerous to use the wrong buffer and spring ...

some collapsible stocks may not be robust enough..

call dpms and ask after forearms

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39615 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks,

I (and most others I know) use the term AR 10 to differentiate 308 from other cals in that platform.

I was kinda hoping I'd get a response like "don't do it... won't work" in general, or "you can do X but not Y" - thanks to jeffeosso for his input.

I've had difficulty getting responses from some gun makers (not the ones you folks listed... yet), and I think it may be due to litigation issues.

Appreciate your input, and will pursue per your info.

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote