Find
Notify
Tools

bluing remover
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Hi all,

I have a knife that I am going to rust blue, it has an old blued finish right now but is in bad shape. I don't want to polish it for a few reasons but I'd like to remove the existing bluing before I refinish it. I don't have any dedicated bluing remover and was wondering what I have on hand that I can use. I have some Naval Jelly, muriatic acid (HCL) and sulfuric acid in addition to white vinegar. I also have some paint stripper somewhere. Will any of those remove the bluing satisfactorily? Anything else that someone can suggest? I need to start this tomorrow so don't really have time to order something, but can pick stuff up at the hardware store if need be.

TNX

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local Sears store and get a bottle of Rust Free. It will remove bluing, rust, and get your steel all ready to be de-greased and rust blued. Great stuff.

http://www.boeshield.com/

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've used muriatic acid mixed 1 to 3 w/ water to remove rust bluing before. Works good, but you'll need to give it a good bath of water and baking soda after your finished to make sure you've neutralized the removing solution.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry!

fyj, I appreciate the suggestion but I live in the boonies and the nearest craftsman store is about 50 miles away.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use the Naval Jelly then and buff it a bit with a scotch brite pad as you rinse it off.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
CLR works very well, white vinegar will take it off, but sometimes slow.

with all acids, it will etch the finish, to a greater or lesser degree, and may need polishing before starting
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38602 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm not sure if it would work well for you but I've had waterfowl blood remove bluing from shotgun barrels Mad lol

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I use Naval jelly + water, 50/50 mixture. 2 go-rounds with 50/50 solution etches less than 1 shot at full strength. 20 years ago I could've explained the chemistry but now I'm reduced to "acids are funny that way".

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oven cleaner

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Wish I knew what someone used to inadvertently remove the rust blueing from the Persian Mauser I bought from Samco a while back. Left the exposed metal in the white, shiny and polished, and turned the stock shellac/lacquer to a sticky gum that I had to remove and replace. The metal under the wood still has the rich blue on it. I figured someone misguidedly used a strong caustic cleaner to remove Cosmoline from one of their "unissued" models.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ricochet,
that makes me think a second... bluing is caustic, but a strong cleaner could probably damage it.. but an acid will take it right off...

i heard using toilet cleaner, here on AR.. and that works, too! but anything that cleans water/lime stains will have a low-ish PH

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38602 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Common ordninary "Naval Jelly" will remove Bluning and rust.

Available at most big box stores, as well as, Mom and Pop hardwares

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4239 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, the muriatic acid will work just fine. Wash it in water and use some emery cloth to clean the blade after.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the muriatic acid mixed with water in fact 1/10 will work. You don't need it too hot and any etching will be at a minimum. Rinse it good and you should be fine. As with anything like that don't breath it. Use a resperator if you can outside.

Posts: 128 | Location: Oregon,USA | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote