Find
Notify
Tools

I need a machine shop
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted
still looking to have some custom bolt bodies made and some extractors also anyone that can do this or will do this.

cz 527 custom bolt face and new extractor

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anybody could do it I bet Jim Wisner could. Why not contact him.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
wisners wont even look at it refuse to take any new work

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim is exceedingly busy, I think the majority of his business is really reproduction winchester parts.

Did you try Stuart Satterlee, posts here as Timan. He does some impressive work, might be able to help you out.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
thanks red left him a message but no answer yet

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting quotes on 100 or more?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
1 at $1000 or 1000 at $1 depends on how much they cost. I cant even get a price on one but I know this will be expensive.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a print or solid model?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
as soon as I get my bolt back from dave kiff I have one that is correct except for boltface and extractor it is a hornet and I want 5.7x28.

where is poetry exactly

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go north out of Terrell toward I30 and we are halfway between Terrell and I 30 due north. It is a small community that has 1 feedstore, 1 gas station, and 7 churchs. It is rural.
Could not Dave help you?
Butch

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
dave would not help me I am sure he could if he wanted to never got to talk to him after he said send me a bolt. sent it never heard back so i called and got some nice lady she said she had dropped my bolt right back in the mail to me and their "machinest " said they did not have a jig for it and would not build it. I never got a response from dave himself just put off by his nice lady on the phone. I bought a bolt to send them at his request and they just "sent it right back" guess they dont want to is all. or dont have time. it realy is simple no internal threads almost all machineing is on the outside cnc dream but hey whatever I think they would sell and I want several myself for wildcats 20 and 17 x 28 no other work needed to action or magazine.Tried but I cant buy what he wont put a price on

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
what market research have you done to cause you to think they would sell? What quantity do you want the first run to be? What is your budget for this project?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Marc

1.none im not in the marketing buisness

2.depends on what they cost I want at lest five for myself plus some for other people

3.depends on my mood that day I dont make budgets conserning my own amusement if it makes mony fine if not I will do it anyway

I can make these myself but it would just be easyer to start with the correct bolt face instead of closing up existing one. a small shop could use them to make rifles that I am allready using and selling 5.7x28 is better than hornet in my opinion and and the wildcats off of it are realy good the cz 527 is a better fit for a custom in this cal because it has a working magazine unlike the remington for witch they sell bolts and bbls in the wrong twist from midway.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
you seem baffled by machine shop owners to be hessitant to spend much time analysing your project, yet you do not even have the basics covered at this time. While this is a hobby for you, the machine shop owners are scratching out a living and their time is one of their most valuable resources. If you do not know before you call how much you are willing to spend and how many you need, then they are very justified in not spending time on such a project. They get calls from tire kickers every day and have to filter calls in order to be profitable.

If you can really make these yourself, it seems odd that you have waited so long and invested so much time (both your and others') in this project. Had that time been spent in the shop, then you would be well on your way to having the first one built.

You seem baffled by all of this, so I am just giving you a little insight from the other side of the table

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have the first one built you smartass. I hesitate to answer your questions because I rightly assumed an attack or wiseass remark would be your next post. thanks for the lecture.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Crusher,
You have the CNC programing for the bolt you want?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I think I can get can get it. I have been building it by hand takes for ever and does not look as clean as I would like I have no cnc machines but know people who do but thir stuff cuts 36 in valve bodies and stuff so cant get help there. but I think their programer can get it done or ill have to pay someone to do it.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir-

I am sorry you did not interpret my post as I intended it. There were no underlying intentions or implications on my part. You expressed confusion and dismay that owners of machine shops would not help you, and I merely attempted to give a viewpoint from a shop owner's perspective so you may could better understand the lack of help you were getting. I intended not single word to be an "attack" or even intended a single letter in my post to come across as a "smartass."

Again, I am very sorry that somehow my post was written in a way that it could be interpretted so far from its true meaning. Given your choice of words it is obvious I struck an emotional cord, and for that I am truly sorry.

Good luck on your project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have a shop and could in all likelihood do this part but I wouldn't take it on.

The liability issue scares me right off the bat. I don't want to find my ass in court over a $1000 dollar job. Secondly and more importantly it that it is illegal to make any part of an action without proper licensing from the ATF. There is probably some allowance for doing work for a licensed business or person but I assume you don’t have a manufacturers license.

Job shopping is a slim margin business to begin with and those added risks would in my opinion make this project unattractive.

Only trying to provide a shop owners perspective on why I would say no thanks to this one. Not trying to be an a$$.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
thanks fritz I apriciate the input and your time I dont think this non serial number part is manufacturing but I will check again it is a replacement part for an existing firearm. if you want to talk about it more pm me if not thanks again for your input.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
mark I apologise for being rude im just gun shy on this subject. I see this as a very simple deal and have just hit roadblock after roadblock. im sure no harm was intended Im just a little overbearing sometims no real offense taken or ment thanks for the responce.

building rifles and hunting I live to do not the other way round I dont realy care what they cost or how many I have to sell to get the 5 or so I personaly want and People email me all the time looking for this work so im tryinmg to make it economical for a small operator to do this conversion not realy interested in profit margin for myself . I am not going into the gun buisness it would take all the fun out of it.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Nothing is as easy as it should be. Good luck on your project.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
thanks mr ill keep my chin up

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
crusher,
I would like to help, but at this time we don't have any machine time on our Hurco VMX42. We are so busy that we are turning down projects requiring R&D.

Please don't blame shops for not wanting to help. Most likely they are as we are, too busy and not enough help.

Know any CNC certified machinists? Tell em to email me. I'm looking for good people.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
thanks rusty got word a friend is on this so ill wait for him to finish ill keep you in mind for machinists

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And don't be afraid to use your punctuation or upper case. It can go a long way.

Now that is what I would call a smart ass.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Know any CNC certified machinists? Tell em to email me. I'm looking for good people.

We've got them over here, and they won't leave. Boeing moved a whole facility back east and only 20% of the guys went with it ( and they were kids who didn't know where they were going ).

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Jim I will send my english comp. prof. your love!

Hows that? Smiler

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT