New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can stainless be given a blued finish
 Login/Join

<BBS>
posted
Is it possible to blue finish stainless steel by another process?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The answer is yes, but how I don't really know how. I think the Remington 700s in .17 are all stainless, even though they end up with the black finish like the rest of the BDLs.

What I'd love to know is how Ruger get the grey finish on their 77 VT model

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yes stainless can be blued. Brownells sell bluing salts specially formulated for stainless.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Ruger matte stainless steel finish also. Very attractive not too flashy.

After much research and questioning, I have determined it is a glass bead blast/peen and a dunk in the blue tank- same chemicals they use for standard chrome moly blue...

Cheap and easy.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I have seen that stainless bluing done with the Brownells salts. Pardon me for saying...it aint blue. Not even close. Looks like black paint. I was not impressed at all.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replies, will try the salts I think.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote