THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anschutz 1431/32 - Does anyone know the strength of this action?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anschutz 1431/32 - Does anyone know the strength of this action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
EDITED; Oops!.. This (duplicate) post was intended for a different forum - hence the repeat of the question here!

Does anyone know the strength of the Anschutz 1431/32?

EDITED; my question really should have been, what is a 1431/32?

Mine is a 22 hornet. I ask because I am loading a little on the high side. I do not get primer pocket loosening and I was not, until recently, getting case elongation. Now I am head spacing on the case mouth. There is no noticeable change in pressure and once a case reaches chamber length case elongation stops. I have reduced my loads a little now but I like the flat shooting, hard-hitting nature of my loads.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The actions have not gotten any stronger since you asked on April 28:

same question you asked a week ago

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, but that reply refers to the 1432 (chambered in 222). Mine is a 1431/32. There is no way mine could accomodate a 222 cartridge. The action is simply not long enough. No-one seems to have any specific info on that particular model - hence my asking again. (But I have seen one on sale for a princely sum! No doubt it had a better barrel than mine).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my full post from last week:

Anschutz .22 hornets should not be loaded to pressures higher than factory ammo. They are weak actions for this application, and Anschutz has made many public warnings to this effect in the past.

Notice I mentioned the .22 Hornet in my post a week ago. You specifically asked about the hornet Anschutz and even had your post titled as such.

I will say it again:

THESE ANSCHUTZ .22LR ACTIONS ARE WEAK ACTIONS.

Hell, you are not even working with the GOOD Anschutz actions, but rather their budget model. This was designed for the .22LR for folks who could not or would not afford the better 54 action. The 54's are stronger and more rigid than the 14xx series, and the 54's come with the written warning from Anschutz to only use factory ammo and factory pressure ammo in the centerfire versions.

You are also hot rodding a cartridge that has been known to be finickey and not like hot rodding for the past 8 decades. Hundreds of magazine articles have been written about how the .22 Hornet is a pickey beast and overloads do funky things to accuracy and case life.

If you want more punch, then you need to buy a different rifle chambered for a bigger cartridge.

It has been my experience that folks who disregard written warnings in reloading manuals and rifle manufacturer's bulletins rarely listen to other shooters' advice, even when said advice is solicited by none other than the hot rodder himself. They often find one person who agrees with them and follows that advice, totally ignoring the scores of souls who disagreed. Just an interesting bit of human behavior I have observed in my life's journey.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the trouble Marc_Stokeld.
quote:
Just an interesting bit of human behaviour I have observed in my life's journey.
Perhaps I should have worded my question differently.

I have backed off my loads. I have also not lost a case yet (other than in the long grass). I have been assured that hornet cases do grow. I had been loading them without them growing and I've gone back to that load. I have also dismantled all remaining 'hot' loads.

I have a 14xx 22lr. (Not in my possession right now to get the right model number). This rifle has no resemblance to my hornet 1431/32. The 1432 was chambered in 222 right? (Which of course, makes it not a 22lr action). I believe the 1431 was a 22 hornet? So my question really should have been, what is a 1431/32? Is it a hornet built on a shortened 1432 to 1431 length? Does anyone have a sample of each on hand? Ultimately, I still want to know its strength. Just looking at the rifle one can see that it is far stronger than a 22lr. I seriously doubt this one is a 'budget model'. It has a roll over comb, checkering, Wundhammer grip, smoothly blended ejection port, two locking lugs and so on. It has been suggested that I could re-barrel it to 221 fireball.

I hope that clarifies my question and my reason for repeating my question. (EDITED; On the wrong forum). You can see just from your comment "THESE ANSCHUTZ .22LR (14xx series) ACTIONS ARE WEAK ACTIONS" why I would be confused.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would worry about headspacing off the case mouth. I have seen pressure increases from .223 being used in AR15s without case trimming do this. The cases tended to "crimp" when chambered and created a little too much "jamming" in the throat area when fired. I never saw an accident but I did see some loose primer pockets. I would trim the OAL and allow the case to headspace off the rim as it should.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would worry about headspacing off the case mouth.

Thanks for that, clowdis. That was a big worry. I did check very carefully for signs of change in pressure and but I must say I did not see a change. The case mouth does indeed crimp a little but the neck ID is still considerably larger than the bullet. The chamber itself has a slight chamfer at the neck to bore step. I would most certainly not do that if I was neck sizing and crimping! I also check for fit in the rifle. I find that if there is a slight resistance when closing the bolt, trimming 0.02mm (0.0008 inch) lets it close with just a touch. So that's what I am trimming to 35.70mm. (Very close fit - the case fits the chamber with a firm push of the finger. If it doesn't, the bullet has runout).

Marc_Stokeld said:
quote:
Anschutz .22 hornets should not be loaded to pressures higher than factory ammo.
At the time of munufacture of my rifle, the SAAMI pressures were somewhat higher than today. I am aiming for current SAAMI pressures. The amount of powder and the bullet weight are only two of the factors that influence pressure. Case neck tension and crimping are another two, so adding more powder does not necessarily mean higher pressure. (Jamming the case mouth into the throat does!) I have reduced pressure by simply not neck sizing. I seat the bullet into a paper hand towel cup instead, which is then dip lubed and sealed. Unconventional, I know, but it works for me and has produced the best accuracy out of my rifle, with it's rust damaged bore.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Right! I have been able to find the operating manuals for the 1430/1432/1530/1532's. Nothing on the 1431/32. The ST's had double set triggers while the D's had single adjustable triggers. These rifles were chambered in 222 and 22 hornet. The bolts appear identical to my 1431/32. It also has folding rear sights and a three-point mounting with the third point being dovetailed into the barrel swell that also dovetails the rear sight.

So it would appear that my particular rifle can indeed handle 222 pressures with the larger case base area. So, unless there is compelling reason to believe otherwise, I would, if I chose, be able to load to the limitations of the case itself - which leaves me at the original SAAMI specs. That is OK, as it gives me a margin of safety - I'll be sticking to the new SAAMI specs! Which is pretty flat shooting out to 175yds with reasonably heavy bullets! (60grs) Wink

Quote: "The Anschutz bolt is designed to be extra strong and reliable."

PS It would appear that I might have in my possession, a collectable rifle! beer

Regards
303Guy