Find
Notify
Tools

22 hornet Anschutz 1431/32 strength
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Does anyone know how strong the 1431/32 Anschutz 22 hornet is?

I ask because I am loading mine to a faily high velocity (not chronographed yet) using Lil'Gun, 60gr Hornady spire points and Federal primers. This load punches holes in 1/4 inch steel plate at 125 meters and is indistinguishable from a 223 on hares. Trouble is, I have no way of knowing what pressure my loads are developing (other than it is less than a mild 223 load.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I had an Anschutz 1432est (Double Set-Trigger model) with a heavy target barrel in .22 Hornet. A lovely, purpose-built, 3-position rifle that was super-accurate. Another fellow just had to have it so it's his now; but it was nevertheless a very fine rifle while in my possession.

You'll note though that the soldered-on bolt handle is THE locking lug on this rifle and is the ONLY thing between you & disaster if pushed beyond it's originally designed limitations. These rifles were only manufactured & chambered in .22lr, 22 Magnum, .22 Hornet and .222 Remington.

I've also experienced the .22 Hornet's seemingly amazing ability to shoot through various "strong" metals, too but I don't think that has anything to do with your particular bullet as it did it with various bullets from 40 to 50 grains much to the dismay of the one aspiring Pistol Metallic Silhouette Shooter at our range who made his own set of Silhouettes from an undetermined metal source - Sorry-y-y! He suddenly had a "Swiss Cheese Chicken" after a fun-filled session of Off-Hand practice. I kept wondering why the "Chicken" wouldn't topple over; well, it was because the bullets were going straight through it.

I've never used a 60 grain bullet in the .22 Hornet since they are normally considered a bit heavy for the .22 Hornet but if you're getting good accuracy; why not?

Net, If it was me - I don't think I'd be real quick about Pushing-the-Envelope with this particular rifle.

Opinions vary.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anschutz .22 hornets should not be loaded to pressures higher than factory ammo. They are weak actions for this application, and Anschutz has made many public warnings to this effect in the past.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! I mentioned the steel plate penetration because it is the only indication of velocity that I have. It means that my 60gr bullet is going pretty fast. Which means the possibility of high peak pressure! Definately high mean pressure - it's the peak pressure I am worried about. I need a decent velocity for the 60gr bullet simply to stabilize it. (If I had a CZ 527, I would load it to the limits of the case strength).

Gerry, you say the 1432 was also chambered in 222? I know I am not getting anywhere near 222 pressure and that case has a bigger base area. I am not getting any obvious pressure signs - the cases do not stretch and primer flattening is not excessive (edges are still rounded). My rifle's bolt handle is a solid piece with two locking lugs. One being the bolt handle itself and the other the bolt guide. I wonder what the difference is between the 1432 and the 1431/32?

Marc_Stokeld, your warning is duly noted - thanks! I shall reduce my loads a bit and see if they will still shoot straight. (The higher pressure has come about from seating deep enough to fit the magazine without cutting off the exposed lead tip).

(My reason for using the 60gr bullet is simply increased range, flatter trajectory and lower muzzle velocity for close up hits).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hornet brass is notoriously weak as well, especially in regards to primer pocket expansion. If you are getting multiple reloads with the same brass then it should be safe to say you are within normal limits.

I can't find the data now but if memory serves, the SAMMI or CIP pressure limits for the Hornet are much lower that the 222. And you should be ruining Hornet cases after 1-2 firings at 222 pressures.

The implication being that Hornet brass will give out long before the rifle. But you still need to chrono those or check against a program like Quikload to be sure.

OOps, I guess that was a little late, eh?

Edited to add: Hornet 43k and change, 222 53k and change.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While slobbering over a Anschutz 54 Hornet a couple of months ago I noticed it was factory marked "Factory Loads Only" or words to that effect on the barrel.
It was my assumption that multiple reloads with the thin Hornet brass in that rear locking action might get you a face full of gas when a case separates.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I noticed it was factory marked "Factory Loads Only" or words to that effect on the barrel.

Every one I've ever seen was, in large letters.

I passed on a .222 some years back, kicking myself ever since.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the replies.

No such warnings on my barrel. Mine must have been made for the European market. I aquired it in the RSA. (Traded my mini-14 for it when I migrated).

I am not getting any primer pocket expansion and I am getting plenty of reloads per case. I have had one or two 'case body' separations. These were with cases I got from someone else - half of those I did not reload as they already had that dreaded ring. No gas in my face at all - in fact I had no idea the case had failed untill I opened the breach and the two halves dropped out!

OK then, I am feeling a little more comfortable now, but I will still reduce the charge slightly and test for accuracy. My next step is to chrono my loads but I must say that my loading technique does produce different results from the norm. (I don't resize and I use a wad to hold the powder down and I use molten bullet lube mixed with candle wax to hold the bullet in place - sound crazy I know but.... well... it works! Roll Eyes)

P.S. That little hornet is the most fun reloading I have ever had! Smiler

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't resize and I use a wad to hold the powder down and I use molten bullet lube

Not so crazy if has been saving your brass.
I will have to remember that technique. You can also use a very light film of oil on the case to prevent it from separating.
BPCR shooters also do the loose bullet trick with black powder.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can also use a very light film of oil on the case to prevent it from separating.

Yup. Do that too! Wink I use smoke stopper - works a treat. thumb My rifle has a very rough chamber. Frowner

I read somewhere that BR shooters used to use a very light neck size - just enough to hold the bullet true but not actually grip it. I have been able to confirm this. Anyway, that is my next experiment. I finished my die today and have so far loaded up just one round to be test-fired for pressure in a few minutes time. Smiler

ireload2, I nearly forgot to mention - the main benefit I have found is a substantial increase in power without incuring a high pressure penalty, when loading with Lil'Gun (and heavier bullets - like 60 grainers). Then of course there is the benefit of not needing to clean my barrel. I get zero copper fouling and no rust in the bore even through cool and very wet winters. (I did monitor the bore almost daily, at first).

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the tricks the benchrest shooters use is a tight neck set up with turned case necks. They use a line to line fit to maybe .0002 clearance. The fired case does not require resizing before seating the next bullet.
Of course the cases last until the primer pocket wears out from seating primers unless you over load it.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that ireload2. I had wondered about just that. In principle, that is exactly what I am doing in a standard chamber but using wax/lube or paper to fill the gap. I wouldn't want to hunt dangerous game with such a set up 'though. But since I have had very little trouble chambering an unsized round, I am going to consider that trick to my new hornet barrel - when I get around to it. Mine is rust damaged! (Got it like that. Someone must have 'polished' out the sharp edges as it looks smooth and fires lead bullets just fine, with zero leading).

Oh, yes. I test fired my new load with closer fitting neck and reduced powder charge. Pressure seems a little higher! Oh well. Reduce that charge some more and see what happens.

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post

Yes, the 1432's were chambered for .222 Remington. Can't contribute anything about the two different pressure levels. There were a number of variations, Light or Heavy Barrel, Set Triggers, Anschutz Match-Triggers, etc.

Your rough chmaber could potentially be a candidate for .22 K-Hornet that could possibly ream out some of the "roughness"?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote