New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which action?
 Login/Join

<AVMcGee>
posted
I am wanting to build a 22-243 Middlestead and a 25-06AI. I am considering a Rem 700 or a Ruger No. 1. I know the Rem 700 is up to the task, but what about the Ruger? Anything that I need to know about the Ruger? Thanks.

Andrew V. McGee

posted Hide Post
Andrew,
The #1 action will handle the pressures of either round easily.
While there are accurate #1s around (I have two of them), don't pick it as a platform if you want easy, repeatable accuracy.
The #1 can be finicky, and the fore-end hanger will probably require a bit of modification to ensure bet performance.
If you just want to build a single-shot sporter that's just a bit different, then a #1-B in .25-06AI will do nicely.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
No, I don't want a sporter. I want at least a 26" barrel. And I do not want to build something that might be finicky. I have never had a rifle built before. So it will be a learning expierence for me. Thanks.

Andrew V. McGee

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you will be far better off with a blueprinted Rem 700 SA. There are many reasons why benchrest shooters use these actions and I'm afraid you won't see too many Rugers at Benchrest matches. At least not winning that is! There are much better actions but for what you are doing the Rem 700 won't disappoint you. Instead of the 22-243 Middlestead I'd also suggest you consider a 22-6mm or better yet a 22-6mm improved. I built a 22-6mm myself on a Rem 700SA with a #8 contour 1:7 twist shilen barrel. This gun shoot 80gr Sierras over 46 grs of Rl-22 at 3500fps and shoots consistently in the .2's at 100 yrds. At 400 yrds its still about 2 inches. I intent to rechamber it to 22-6mm IMP when I get a chance. This cartridge also bucks the wind like a big .30. Good Luck-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I did some load development work for a guy once upon a time with a Ruger No. 1 in .22-.243 Middlestat. The gunsmith who built this R#1 knew Don M., who lived here in the San Diego area. He used his rifle to shoot ground squirrels at 600 yards. The R#1 had a stainless heavy varmint barrel, and some work done on the forearm hanger and forestock bedding.

I got this rifle to shoot pretty well, but you might want to consider twist and what weight bullets you want to shoot.

I will say that it is all-around easier to build an accurate varmint or target rifle rifle on a bolt gun than it is to use a single shot.

The R#1 was also responsible for me shooting my chronograph beam and a sky screen with a bullet at oh 4,100 fps. I changed my set-up procedure after that one!

The .22-.243 is based on the .308 case family, while the .22-6mm is based on the 7X57 case family.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote