Find
Notify
Tools

Integral Rib
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Do any barrel manufacturers offer integral ribs? This is for a custom rifle.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3062 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ralf Martini

Granite Mountain, Sunny Hill and Dan Pedersen also offer barrels with integral features.

posted Hide Post
I think someone here got a barrel with integral rib from Lothar Walther.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
plus, there are quite a few custom riflemakers that have the capability to make you one in whatever configuration you want.

Steve Heilmann comes to mind, but there are others.
I have seen his work in person and it is immaculate.

http://www.metalandwood.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
somebody just posted a pic the other day of a rifle with a full length integral rib, it looks fantastic. I'm gonna have to look for that thread tonight and save some pics.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenn Fewless, ACGG metalsmith, does some of the most fantastic integral ribs you'll EVER see. One of his latest rifles, a 500x3" Nitro, has been seen on the AR Single Shot forum and will be on the cover of the ACGG magazine Gunmaker soon. He wrote an article for Gunmaker a while back, showing how he does his integral Rigby flats.

Glenn is a retired Toolmaker, with all that the title implies. I have several examples of his work and they are impeccable.

Glenn has bored, reamed & rifled his own barrels but I believe he normally uses barrel blanks from other folks for most of his work.

BTW Glenn is also a recent National Champion BPCR shooter, using one of his own rifles. How many smiths can say they've won a national championship, let alone with a rifle that they built themselves?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J.D.

Can you tell me where I can find out info on GUNMAKER magazine ?

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hal, you hafta join the ACGG as either a full member smith or as an associate for about 1/2 price, the mag subscription is included. I'm not a member but am fortunate enough to have a friend who let me see his mags.

Here's a link to Glenn's 500 Nitro:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...9421043/m/7231046621
If that doesn't work, try the AR Single Shot forum under Gibbs #92.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hal H, you have the equipment to do it with. Why don't you take some photos of your shop and machines that we can dream about.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Not only all of that, but I met him at the ACGG show and he is one hell of a nice guy!! Big Grin

He's quite funny too, but I keep tellin' him that looks aren't everything!
Regards, Joe

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! This helps

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier turning metal and wood; you get to touch it, feel it, and folks recognize and appreciate your work.

Maybe after corporate America one day.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3062 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McGowan offer this service.

I had a barrel quoted from Lothar Walther a while back. Caliber 10.75x68, octagon, full length intregal rib $1700.00 in the white!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote