Find
Notify
Tools

Gibbs Farquharson #92
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemens:

Here are some Show and Tell pictures of the Gibb Farquharson that Mr. Doug Mann and I built. It was on my table at the ACGG show last month. It is an original Gibbs action and sports a 26" full length integral rib barrel, chambered for the .500-3" Express. Stock is of Turkish walnut with a leather covered pad.

Photography by Tom Alexander

Best to all

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellence.

Do you have a guilloche machine?

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow +1

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done.
Thanks for sharing
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemens:

Thank you all for the kind words. They are much appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
Do you have a guilloche machine?

Shucks, Mr. Bradshaw... I had to do an internet search to find out what a guilloche machine was. Interesting stuff. This was done on a mill.

Best to all,

Glenn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

I have a good friend named Allen Elishewitz. Well known knifemaker. He has three guilloche machines. They are so cool. He maintains a spotless shop, but he cleaned the machines and has them in the great room in his home. Feels like a museum.

I must say, I can't picture how you did that on a mill. Maybe I am showing my inexperience. I could program it on my CNC, but that would take forever to machine.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful stock. Do you plan to have someone engrave the action? Lots of room for that on a falling block like the Farquharson.

I have not previously seen (or maybe I just never noticed) a stock headed up that way up on the action sides, so high off the front of the tang.

As you may know, according to Kirton, this rifle was originally chambered in .577-.450 Martini-Henry.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13474 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma:

It is common to have the "wooden walls" on a Brit gun. Alexander Henry rifles were the same way.

I did notice that entry in Mr. Kirton's book. Howsomever, I am uncertain of its accuracy. First of all, I gather the .577-.450 would be a unique chambering in a Gibbs. Secondly, I experimented with a .577-3" cartridge and the rim would not fit through the loading trough. I expect it might be possible to get a .577-450 to weasel into the chamber, it would not slide straight in from the back.

I do thank you for mentioning it. The more one can know about the history of these old pieces the more interesting they become.
Much obliged,

Glenn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought too much about it, but you are right of course about the .577-.450 being an odd chambering in a Gibbs.

Your experience trying to slip one through the loading trough seems to indicate that Kirton was mistaken.

I love to see an old Gibbs revitalized. Great job. How about the engraving?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MR:

The rifle was left in the white and unengraved to allow a potential new owner to pick his engraving and finish.

If it doesn't find a new home in a month or two we will have it cased and engraved with a traditional period rose and scroll pattern.

Best,

Glenn

Picture of safari1976
posted Hide Post
awesome job..amezing work..
I love single shots...
regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is really nice!!!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it doesn't find a new home in a month or two we will have it cased and engraved with a traditional period rose and scroll pattern.

Can you hang on to it long enough for me to find the right LOTTO ticket!!! Wink

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

Have you seen Gibbs-Farquharson No. 93? I did a little digging and found some information on it.

No. 93 isn't in Kirton's book, but it was auctioned by Amoskeag in NH in 2008. It is in great condition and is essentially identical to No. 91.

I have photos if you would like to see them.

I would bet that yours, No. 92, was originally a .461 No. 1 Gibbs target rifle, just like Nos. 91 and 93.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it an optical illusion or is there a flat milled on the top of the barrel for the rib to fit in.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. weaveman:

There is no flat milled in the barrel. The rib is integral with the barrel, not added on. It is all one piece of steel.

Glenn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Glen In the last picture it must just be shadows and light To cause what I am seeing right in front of the sight. Damn nice work.

James

Posts: 130 | Location: Floresville,TX. | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hst:
Mr. weaveman:

There is no flat milled in the barrel. The rib is integral with the barrel, not added on. It is all one piece of steel.

Glenn

So am I correct that the barrel was made mostly with a milling machine rather than a lathe??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. .22WRF:

Yes, the barrel is mostly milled. The rough blank (1.5" diameter) was fit to the action and timing established. The barrel was then set up between centers on the mill and the profile cut. When done the round part of the barrel was actually faceted.

It was then put back into the lathe to set back the front of the rib and turn the muzzle end round. The barrel was also then crowned.

Finally the barrel was clamped in the pedestal vise for a lot of quality time with files and shaped abrasives.

Best,

Glenn

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I really enjoy this type of barrel work knowing how many hours go into something like this. I'm still on the learning curve and I see your outstanding work and some of Ralf Martini's work, makes me want to learn more and do more.
Lifes to short for silver solder... Big Grin

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. srtrax:

Thanks for the kind words.

If you are interested in working on single shot rifles, you might consider attending the summer course offered at the gunsmiting school at Trinidad, CO. It is a hands on, bring your own rifle and work on it class.

The instructor is nothing special, but his rugged good looks and great jokes more than make up for it.

http://nra.trinidadstate.edu/i....php/metalsmithing-i

Best regards,

Glenn

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Make sure that instructor knows that mid-west farm boys get nose bleeds up in the altitudes of Colorado! It'd surely look bad to bleed all over a rifle.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:
The instructor is nothing special, but his rugged good looks and great jokes more than make up for it.

I clicked on your name and well lets just leave it at that Big Grin ... I know nothing about judging a mans rugged good looks, but I like a good joke when I hear one.

I do have a Ruger #1 waiting on me to get busy. I did sign up for an intergal barrel class with Clayton Nelson, but didnt have enough people and had to back out.

Mike, no farm boy here, I sweat and froze my ass off in the oil patch. Wink that'll make your nose bleed! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hst:
http://nra.trinidadstate.edu/i....php/metalsmithing-i
Best regards,
Glenn

Au Contraire, Mon Frere! (as George Carlin used to say)
IMO the instructor is VERY 'special', in several ways; AAMOF he's one of the more-'special' folks I know....

As well as one of the nicest and most professionally-gifted.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I would bet that yours, No. 92, was originally a .461 No. 1 Gibbs target rifle, just like Nos. 91 and 93.

Mr. mrlexma:

There is another #92 sighting. It is pictured on page 11 of Wal Winfer's Volume 6 as a complete rifle. I have only seen the action before this. No mention of caliber, but it is definitely a straight gripped military rifle. Judging fromt the barrel sight pictured, it is not an MBL target rifle either, but a infantry type rifle. Perhaps a show and tell specimen for obtaining government contracts.

Best regards,

Glenn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Glenn,
Your build is certainly beautiful. I'm sure I'll always regret selling that action but I certainly am very pleased that it went to a great home & has been built to a better standard than I could ever afford.
Regards
Luke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luke:

Good to hear from you!

Thanks for the kind words. That beat up old action of yours grew up to be a swan after all. I was very fortunate to get it, and thank you for the oportunity.

Very best regards,

Glenn