Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser trigger preferences
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted
I have a Remington 798/Zastava 375 H&H. The OEM trigger is ok, but I'm going to have a Dakota safety installed, so will be replacing the trigger.

I have several rifles with Timneys and they are fine, but I like the look of the Blackburn trigger. Does anyone have experience with the new Blackburns (Swift)?

Or for the big bucks, how about the Dressel's?

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
We used a Blackburn on the rifle we build and raffled off here on AR a few years ago.

I'm sorry but on a 798 I wouldn't worry too much about the brand of trigger. It will never be a high $$ custom. I do think the safety is a great addition. I happen to use the Timney or even the OEM with a touch of work. Heck the Bold is a good trigger for $40.

If you want the Blackburn it is a good trigger go for it. For my $$ the Dressel is over priced and I don't care that much for a M70 style trigger.

If it were mine and I had gone with the Dakota I would stick a Timney or Bold on it and never look back.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Bold triggers when I replace them. I use the military triggers a lot; nothing wrong with them.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Bold, Timney and Kepplenger.

The Kepplenger single set trigger is nice but for a non set trigger I like the Bold best of all.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've used lots of different triggers of the years on various rifles - Jewell, Kepplenger, Timney, etc. They are all good.

On the last 2 Mausers I used a Huber concepts trigger, the stainless version. I like it because it keeps all of the original Mauser trigger parts, except the actual trigger, and it's the same shape, etc with the exception of some adjustable screws and an adjustable ball detent that sets against the sear. So net, it keeps the same profile as the factory trigger.

http://huberconcepts.com/product/mauser-trigger/

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Just a question though ramrod: a zastava is an fn commercial mauser for all intents and purposes is it not? if you took the action apart and worked it over and ground it and did all you could to it would it not be as good as any other commercial mauser?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes it would be as good. However it is still a zastava or worse a Rem 798. Functional you bet. Collector quality nope.

Just like the interarms MKX a darn good action. Made a great functioning rifle. Would it ever carry the value of a reworked 98 or even a older FN I don't believe so. Just look at the sales prices.

Please don't get me wrong I have a number of MKXs and to me I'm just as happy shooting them as my custom 1909 or an FN. They make great shooters not valued investments.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.

This is a utility gun. I want it to look good, but function well bashing around the alders in rain and sleet. It will definitely not have collector value. So I appreciate that caution. I might as well stick with the Timney. I'll save a Blackburn purchase for a higher end project if I get to it - like a 404J on a good VZ24 action.

Speaking of Timney's the last one I bought for a Rem 700 had a huge, fat trigger. IMHO, way too wide. I wonder what drove them to make that change?

Dave

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For that purpose you should keep the double pull military trigger.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Dave for several of my hunting rifles I simply removed the safety lever and kept the OEM trigger. Works fine for me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I put a Timney M98 Sportsman trigger on my Oberndorf Sporter many years ago and it is great but knowing what I have learned now from Von Gruff and others here on this forum about modifying the standard Mauser trigger I would take this path now.

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I usually use the Timney triggers but on the last econo build I used a Bold trigger and it is a very nice trigger, simple and efficient.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
I put a Timney M98 Sportsman trigger on my Oberndorf Sporter many years ago and it is great but knowing what I have learned now from Von Gruff and others here on this forum about modifying the standard Mauser trigger I would take this path now.

Was this a thread? If so, could you post a link to it?

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I must be ancient ! Frowner The triggers I used while in GS school were Canjars and they still work !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a Mauser military trigger converted to single stage and the trigger recon toured to the rear of the guard. That is hoe many custom housed fixed the triggers for Hoffman, Griffin and Howe as well as many others.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
quote:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...871081631#5871081631

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
quote:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...871081631#5871081631

Thank you, sir!

Dave