THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What is the weight difference between a No.2 and No.3 contour barrel

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the weight difference between a No.2 and No.3 contour barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
After much though I'very decided to shelve the idea of getting my Krieger barrel fluted. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify an extra $300 on something that is pretty much cosmetic as I am working to a budget.

I still want a reasonably light weight rifle, and with the other modifications (fluted PTG bolt and aluminium bolt shroud, plus Bansner Hitech stock) they will help. However, the last issue is the barrel contour and I've narrowed it down to either a No.2 or No.3 contour barrel.

So my question is, for a Mountain / Sheep rifle, what is the smallest number contour barrel you would go for, without sacrificing group stringing between 3 - 5 shots. I'm not after Remington Mountain rifle contour, I believe those to be too whippy for 24 inch length. Cartridge is going to be 6.5 mm SAUM 24 inch.

Currently, the barrel sitting on my Remington 700 SPS donor action is a 24 inch in 270 WSM. What contour does that equal?

I had a gunsmith advise me I shouldn't go any less than about 16 mm at the muzzle if I wanted good consistent long range accuracy, which seems to be around a No.3 contour.

I am trying to stay at around 7-7.5 lbs scoped and loaded.

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
For a Douglas they claim .25# between a 2 & 3.

Shilen calls it 4 oz as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would probably go with the factory Remington contour. A #2 would be my second choice. Consider that a free floated aftermarket barrel that has been stress relieved will not likely string from heat. Stringing is a residual stress issue. No stress, no issue.

How many shots do you intend to take at a sheep? A barrel that gets a little loose after 5 rapid shots will still handle your needs for the first couple of shots that count the most. If I couldn't connect after 5 tries, I would give up.

To throw out a few numbers.

My 30-06 LA ADL Remington has a #2 Shilen stainless barrel at 23.75". The #2 helps balance a light rifle. A #3 would be a little muzzle heavy.

On my 30-06 the action, bolt, magazine, trigger and barrel weigh in at 4lbs 3oz. Everything is stock Remington except the barrel. I could trim about 2-3 oz if I went to work on the action.

With a B&C Medalist BDL stock it weighs 7lbs 6oz. With a B&C Carbelite ADL stock it weighs 6lbs 8oz. I would suspect using a High Tech stock the rifle will weigh in at 6lbs to 6lbs 3oz.

Stock Remington barrels are just under a #2 Shilen for weight according to the Shilen chart. Remingtons are thinner near the action and have a short cylinder section. It is a well thought out contour IMHO.

Are you keeping it a 270WSM? If so, the stock barrel may shoot great. I have seen very few stock Remingtons that didn't shoot sub-MOA after being bedded into a quality stock.

Not to discourage toy shopping, but they tend to have accurate barrels. That said, it might string after it heats up.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Just assembled everything together - barreled action (with the 270wsm barrel) and the bolt into the Bansner stock and put it on the scales. Weighs 5.5 pounds at the moment (without recoil pad yet, as I need to reduce the LOP, but I will put a Decelerator on it), so weight of the stock will go up a little bit).

So, I'm going to get my Gunsmith to profile my Krieger barrel to match this Remington SPS barrel. What I also noticed is that the rifle balances perfectly with that contour and length. It is also a perfect fit for the barrel channel in the stock.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll be happy with that choice for barrel profile.

If I may, I would recommend you look at the recoil pads from Cervalatti. Their microcell pads are super light, and also very squishy. I put one on my .300 Win Mag that weighs 7lbs scoped. Saved 3oz over the decelerator I had on there. Both were 1" pads.

I am going on a dagestan tur hunt end of next month and put my rifle on a serious diet along wtih myself.

Post some photos when your rifle is complete.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
try this
http://pac-nor.com/cgi-bin/bweight.cgi

of course, you could buy a savage light weight and be done

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote