Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 crf 300 Rum to 458 Lott?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
I have a win model 70 300 Rum that I just don't carry. I always hear of converting these to 404 Jeff but what about 458 Lott? I believe the bolt face will work. Is this possible? Any other modifications that may need to be done? Will there be feed issues?

Thanks!

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If memory serves me just a mag box change would be in order. The RUM uses a unique box. The Lott should use the 375 box.

Posts: 19 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be easier to convert to the 458 RUM. Just a barrel away. No need to mess with changing a mag box or anything else. Mine is on a very old model 70, and works perfectly.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell the ultra to someone that wants the 404, buy a 458 Lott, and pocket the difference.

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info. Definitely lots of options.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
change the barrel and MAYBE a $30 magbox, and be done .. zero issues

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan then! What do you guys think is the optimum barrel length? I was thinking 22" or 23"?

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Getting closer. Have brass and dies now, ordered the 375 mag box. Will be sending it off soon to Pac Nor.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might want to make up some dummy rounds and see how it feeds. I have a RUM action and it has a area notched out of the left feed rail, whereas a "normal" long action doesn't. It flat will not feed 458 Lott rounds or really any other belted round. I ended up rebarreling it to 375 RUM and it works fine.

Quality control at the old Winchester being what it was, that doesn't mean yours won't work though.

Good luck!

Posts: 549 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
every gun seems to be a law unto themselves -- a 375 box and follower would like fix it...

but a 375 rum is a fine round, as well

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
I made three last night but with the current box can only fit one down. Seemed like it picked it right up. I will try it again when i get the 375 box.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, that was with the 375/STW/300 WBY box and follower.

Every Winchester seems to be unique. That particular RUM action also had the rear scope mount holes out of alignment also!

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Ongwe I could use that follower if you want to sell. I can trade a 300 RUM mag box and follower if interested.

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I had to borrow it out of another rifle. Sorry.

posted Hide Post
Sniper, You have a PM

Posts: 19 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote