THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.275”(ish) tall front sight for old Mauser.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
My new (114 year old) 8x57 Mauser shoots about 7” high at 100 yards off the bench. I figure that I need to go from a .230” front sight to .270-.275”.
Is there a source for the small dovetail pre-WW1 size front sights in different sizes?

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Not that I’ve seen, but can be made in a few minutes with a mill. It would certainly take longer but one could be made using the original milling maching: files, but a spot of weld on top of the original sight works with less filing.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
take a toothpick, blacken it up with a marker, superglue it to the side of the sight, and whittle it till you get the right elevation, and don't fret the windage.

that should get you really close to knowing the right height
j

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I neglected to add that this is a sporter with a silver bead sight and a tangent “V” rear.

I installed a tall “Barleycorn“ sight and filed it down but it’s an ugly thing. I’ve ordered one of those Mauser sights from Brownells and a .290” fiber optic front with a modern dovetail. Plan B is to “mill” the modern dovetail on the fiber optic with files. Plan C is the Brownells sight filed to size. Extreme measures Plan D would be having the original front sight base dovetail opened up to allow using the larger modern sights.

Plan A was asking the experts around here so I didn’t wear out a box of files only to later learn about ”Herr Billy Bob’s Mauser Supply” who stocks sights in 1mm increments. If you three don’t know of such a source it probably doesn’t exist.

Thanks guys!

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is a Mauser carbine type tangent rear like the military rifles you can replace your leaf with one from a military. At the aft end of the leaf on the underside there is an extension/lip. Grind this even with the body of the leaf. This will lower your point of impact enough to get a 100 yd zero. For fine adjustments you can drill and tap the replacement leaf for a fine threaded set screw that will govern how high it sits. This method will preserve your rifle's originality.

Example: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1029790

Is this what yours looks like?

quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
I neglected to add that this is a sporter with a silver bead sight and a tangent “V” rear.

I installed a tall “Barleycorn“ sight and filed it down but it’s an ugly thing. I’ve ordered one of those Mauser sights from Brownells and a .290” fiber optic front with a modern dovetail. Plan B is to “mill” the modern dovetail on the fiber optic with files. Plan C is the Brownells sight filed to size. Extreme measures Plan D would be having the original front sight base dovetail opened up to allow using the larger modern sights.

Plan A was asking the experts around here so I didn’t wear out a box of files only to later learn about ”Herr Billy Bob’s Mauser Supply” who stocks sights in 1mm increments. If you three don’t know of such a source it probably doesn’t exist.

Thanks guys!

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post

Its on a Type B rifle that had claw mounts added. The sight rests on the barrel at “50” and is barely visible thru the groove in the front mount. Raised to “100” the top of the sight is above the scope mount.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, then you need to go with the taller front sight.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Hello Rick,

I have an old but never used Marble's number 27 front sight with the narrow Mauser .210" dovetail, the dovetail is about .063" deep. It has a 1/16" (fake) ivory bead and a total height from the top of the bead to the bottom of the dovetail of about .270". The packaging lists it at .265" high and .312" wide.

I bought it decades ago intending to replace the abysmal front sight on a Luger but never installed it.

Would this work for your rifle? I have no idea what it might be worth, but it would be nice to find it a useful home.

Let me know.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Steve,

That sounds like the closest thing so far. PM me if you want to sell it.

Rick

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use modeling clay to dummy up front sight blades. Pinch it into a V and press it on the ramp; Shoot, repeat. Measure.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

I made up a spreadsheet years ago. Enter in the sight radius of a rifle in inches, the range you fired at and the number of inches it was off. Also enter the height of the existing front sight and it yields the correct sight height.

I shot the rifle at both 50 and 100 yards and the figures agree. I then installed a oversized barleycorn sight I had and filed it down but it’s too damn ugly to be on my Mauser. Wink

I’ve used one of the over sized posts like Brownells sells on another rifle for years but if the #27 bead sight above is close it may be the best option.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, if you get NECG to install claw mounts, Rick, their dovetail will have a groove through the centre, too, otherwise you might need an even higher front sight. With the ramp, it seems to me having one too high would be unlikely, though setting the rear sight at just the right height may take some doing.

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells at one time made plastic front sights with a dovetail at the bottom and sections on the stem to cut off until you got the right heights..I have a number of them, and Ive not thrown any of them away..I don't know if they are still available but they are the best thing since sliced white bread..cut and shoot until zerowed like you want, then remove it and measure it and place an order for a perfect sight..ready to shoot....the dovetail btw is soft plastic and easy to fit with a file..They are disposable, but I keep them for future use if I get lucky..I don't see them advertised but they probably know where they came from. a dozen per package and cost is cheap..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Ray,

XS / Ashley used to send those with their rear sights. I have several in my big box of parts.

I’ll admit that I forgot how to measure a front sight, forgot the dovetail. I’m going to need one .305” tall. Now waiting for a box from Brownell’s with my taller sight.