New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building an M98 Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for M98 actions to build a 338-06.
I have seen Turkish, Yugoslavian, German, etc. What are the difference and do they have any advantage over one another.

Thanks

James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Turk can be almost anything, most are too beat to make nice rifles. The Youg may be too short for a 30/06. First you should read up a little on Mausers before you spend a lot of money.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
James,
the question drives the answer....

z vz24 is the answer. a great mauser action, long enough for the 338-06 and fairly standard

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
How about the 98/29 "Persian" action? Should be in pretty good shape, at least.

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
A 338-06 won't do anything an 8mm-06 won't.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How about a new -98?
Zastava makes good clones (practically identical to the "originals"). They are sold under the name Charles Daly in the states for around $300 a piece.
As opposed to the "good old ones" these come drilled and tapped for scope mounting, bent bolt handle, hinged floorplate and an adjustable trigger. Plus they are in different lengths, option for left hand or stainless steel. Does not have recess on the left side for stripper-clip loading.

I don't have one myself, but I want one for a 6.5-06 project, if I can get hold of only the action here in Norway.

beefeater

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of depends on what your going to do w/ it. There are differences in the tempering of the steel.

If its going to be a custom gun, many favor the vz-24 action for its temporting and quality. If its going to be a meat gun, I'm w/ beefeater: Its less hassle and cost in the long run to my a present day commercial 98.

P.S. 8mm-06 is great if you're going cheap and use the orininal barrel. Yet, the 8mm doesn't have near the variety of bullets available as .338 bore, nor the weight if you going after big stuff.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Looks like Numrichs' is still selling new Mark X actions for $200: http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=&chrSuperSKU=851010

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Mann
posted Hide Post
My .338-06 is built on a persian action. That is the smoothest surplus mauser action I've seen. I have a .30-338WM made on a Zastava Charles Daly. It is not as smooth or refined as the persian but makes a sturdy reliable rifle.

Posts: 29 | Location: South.....way south | Registered: 22 December 2004Reply With Quote