Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X Bottom Metal Question
 Login/Join

posted
I picked up a .270 Win Mark X with the intention of turning it into a 9.3xSomething. When I went to test fire it, I noticed the floorplate sprang open with the recoil.

Upon examening the latch (this one is in the trigger bow), it appears the hole on the latch was drilled in the wrong place and it sits about 1/32" into the bow.

So by my reckoning, I figure I can either pull out hte latch, and build up the front by welding and then re-blend it into the trigger bow, or I can fill the pin hole and redrill it properly, or I can chuck it all and purchase new bottom metal.

Any 'smiths out there have suggestions on which is the best option?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I find it easier and faster to make a new latch when reworking a 1909 bottom metal. I would do the same thing in your situation. I would make the latch to fit the plate and guard bow.

I use O1, but case hardened 1018 may be a little better

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
try a stronger spring, first, under the latch. This FREQUENTLY solves this problem.

welding.. okay, this could be a problem, as it will HAVE to be tig'ed, with a nickle steel, in order to blue, ... or you can try a 1018 rod, if you buff the clading off, as the caldding won't blue.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote