Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98k needs a new trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
I have a 25-06 built for me before that was a factory round. So, yes, we're both old !

Took a Mauser 98k action, rebarreled, etc. Trigger has long been a Timney sportsman 98k. Haven't shot in 3 years and now it won't cock. Trigger was gummed up so I used brake cleaner on both the trigger and bolt. Still won't cock. Tried adjusting the sear engagement and weight of pull screws, but still no joy. Bolt moves well, but the firing pin won't cock.

Guessing I need a new trigger. Will a Timney trigger for a 98FN fit a 98K? The Timney 98k triggers (no safety model) are on backorder but I can get one for an FN.

Any other thoughts besides the trigger swap?

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soak it in 91% isopropyl alcohol. That seems to dissolve it in our shop. You also really need to take it apart and clean each component. This is a real problem in many older guns. Lube turns to sticky gum like old linseed oil.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Have had a Sportsman trigger on my 404 Mauser for 40 years now and it has never failed to work.
After 3 years of non-use and nothing else changed, your trigger lube, whatever you use, has gummed up as Bobster has alluded to. Why go and change all the trigger settings if the trigger was working previously and has only stopped through non-use?

Given Mausers have pillar bedding even stock shrinkage or expansion doesn't enter the equation.

Just soak the trigger in something that will dissolve a lacquer because that is what oil based products such as CRC, WD40, etc., become after extended periods. Brake or Carb cleaner is for carbon deposits not lacquer deposits.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gents ! I'll give it a try.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Xylene. It will dissolve anything; banned in Cal because of that. I use it for painting military vehicles; it is the preferred solvent.
Wear gloves, although it eats those too. Other solvents are like water compared to xylene.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Xylene. It will dissolve anything; banned in Cal because of that. I use it for painting military vehicles; it is the preferred solvent.
Wear gloves, although it eats those too. Other solvents are like water compared to xylene.

It smells good too.... until you pass out!

It’s like the old fashion model airplane glue smell.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do not even open the can indoors.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
xylene

back when i had a painting company, we bought it by the 2x55 gallon drums on pallets - thank goodness for it's low density, as i used to puck it into trucks.

ahh, the (not so) good old days -- when i would stop at a bar to drink beer until i sobered up from painting

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Xylene...nasty but effective, like MEK.
Unlike MEK, doesn't have a 17 degree F flashpoint.

Me, I'll stick with denatured Ethanol. Cheap and readily available in 1 gallon containers at any hardware store for us tinkererers. And safer.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure all the screws are tight I had the same trouble last year just a loose screw.

Make sure it is free in the stock might have been a little swelling over the years.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Good points. However, in or out of the stock, the bolt doesn't cock. At least it doesn't cock consistently. I've now used the alcohol soak technique and that enabled it it to cock, but occasionally only. There is a broken end on the backlash adjustment screw, so the travel there is limited. Oh well - new trigger coming....

It's kind of a favorite rifle since I had it built for myself when I was 14. Wanted it to be a 25 Ackley Magnum - you know, hotter is better when you're that age. My Dad said it would always be more of a hassle than it would be worth to get brass and fire form, trim, etc. So I went with the then wildcat 25-06 and started converting surplus military 30-06 brass. Like I said, it really is a favorite. Deserves to have a trigger that works, even if I can't figure it out !!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Since you had a broken screw and have already bought a new trigger, this may seem somewhat redundant to some. But, worth noting.

Gumout carb cleaner will remove some lacquer. But, it is rather weak.
But, Permatex carb parts cleaner is strong stuff and does remove lacquer deposits unless they changed the formula in the last 10-15 years.

quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:

Given Mausers have pillar bedding even stock shrinkage or expansion doesn't enter the equation.

Just soak the trigger in something that will dissolve a lacquer because that is what oil based products such as CRC, WD40, etc., become after extended periods. Brake or Carb cleaner is for carbon deposits not lacquer deposits.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5183 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Whitworth Mauser barreled action that needs a new trigger too.

I guess I boxed the trigger up 4 years ago when we built a new house an moved. I can't find the trigger. As soon as Timney get their sears heat treated they will get a feather weight sent my way.

Not the only thing I can't find.

Thanks, Billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote