New
Find
Notify
Tools

stainless M98 CRF action.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now, I have been thinking (a dangerous habit I know) about a stainless CRF M98 action for a 9.3 x 62 build. As far as I know the only one available is the Ruger M77 MK2. Some knowledgeable souls on here may be able to tell me otherwise or that the M77 MK2 is not CRF or heaven knows what else.

Secondly, have any of you used the M77 MK2 for a build and how did you find it?

Thirdly, the reason that the stainless actions are so attractive is due to our damp climate and the desire to build a 'weather proof' rifle if there is such a thing. I know that stainless corrodes too if not looked after, it just doesn't get the attractive orange fuzz quite so easily Big Grin

Thanks to all in advance.

G

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mod. 77 MKII's are CRF and no reason at all why it would not work for your intended rifle.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good choice and I would do it, no question.

I live in British Columbia, which is far wetter than the UK and I am having one specific Classic sts. Mod. 70 in .338WM built for my "beater" rifle in the often horrible weather we hunt in here.

I would have gone with a Ruger MKII, had I found one to customize before I found this Mod. 70 and I think your idea is very sound.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
You can order an action, a pure 98, from empire rifles. Stainless, right or left.

The mrc long action is not very different than the model 70.

The ruger, which i've built several rifles on, is generally squarem straight, easy to stock.

Dual square bridge, CRT, with return to zero, easy detach scope rings.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the ruger action to build a stainless syt stocked 416Taylor worked out great.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies chaps. It looks like the Ruger would be a good option. Just in the process of reading Kevin Robertsons latest book 'Africa's Most Dangerous' in which he states that the Rugers '...only fault seems to be that the MK II action sometimes fails to eject a spent cartridge when the bolt is cycled quickly'.

Have any of you experienced this with your MKIIs and if so what was the fix?

Regards

G

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
So will a Mauser. It's designed that way to prevent you from closing the bolt on a empty chamber. A proper bolt stop/ ejector on a mauser action will ensure that the bolt was withdrawn far enough to not only eject the cartridge but to pick up a fresh round too.

If you short stroke a Rem 700 you have a chance to eject the spent case but not pick up a fresh cartridge from the magazine.

All bolt rifles should either be cycled very deliberately or with enough authority to ensure proper function

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my usta be Satterlie SS mauser. You might check with Stu.

Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I had a SS synthetic featherweight M70 308, wish I had it back, a true intermediate action, not a standard length with a magazine block or short ejection port.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
This is my usta be Satterlie SS mauser. You might check with Stu.

Butch

USTA BE? Boy, I would almost get sick if I had to sell something like that. Beautiful action!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I had a SS synthetic featherweight M70 308, wish I had it back, a true intermediate action, not a standard length with a magazine block or short ejection port.

Fla3006

The Classic Compact made in New Haven is the same intermediate action. I have one (blued) in .308 and would not sell it. I agree with you, they are nice!!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I ordered one of the first Montana stainless "intermendiate" actions only to find out they weren't really intermediate. Prefer the M70. The Mexican Mauser makes the niftiest classic Mauser 308, IMO. Yugos are nice too, true intermediate length, but heavier large ring.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,
I didn't have to sell it. One of Duane Wiebe"s clients owns it now. I'm not a SS type of person.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Satterlee looks lovely. However, I don't think I have enough folding beer tokens to join that particular club at present. The Ruger seems to be a 'working mans' tool.

Has anyone any experience of using a laminate stock for Africa? I don't suppose that there would be much of a problem with one but have no direct experience. I can pick up a Richards etc for basic money for the 77mk2 and put some time into it myself with some reshaping etc.

How do you fellas see that working out?

Regards

G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suggestion only, but if you are striving for a "down to business, no frills, hunting rifle...," I would check into the varous synthetic stocks, Bell and Carlson w/ alum. bedding block, or similar offerings. Not one ounce of class, no frills, but with the fine Ruger SS action, quality barrel, you would definitely have a working sporting arm.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote