Tools

Shortened G33/40
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Interesting Mauser:

ShortG33/40

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Neato!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read books that tell how to do this and one day i would like to try.It looks like it belongs that way.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
neat, but kind of a shame to see a G33/40 get chopped up!.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think it would be even neater on a Mex Mauser.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a photo of it out of the stock.

I don't much care for that bolt handle either.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Or the floorplate, or lack thereof.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like a decent craftsman used what parts he could find out of the Brownells cataloge #18.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted to try something like this.

My father once told me he saw a Mauser shortened to 45 ACP. That would be really cool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a VERY beautiful rifle, and one I'd sure be happy to own.
I can only imagine the number of man hours that went into the action alone, just shortening it...WOW

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Me too assuming it's done correctly. The 250-3000 is a cartridge I'd like own and I think that little rifle is just too cool.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
A mini-mauser rebarreled from 7.62x39 to 220 Russian, all dressed up with nice walnut would be just as neat and easier to make, and one wouldn't have to worry whether the welding was good or not.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know guys, the welding is not as critical there as other places.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless the builder is identified, a rifle like that is a no-no.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny, saw this the first time around, almost bid but he won't ship to NY?!?!?, it didn't get any bids, then he more than doubles the price!!! If you can't see it, it was $1200 the first time around.

Original Auction

Also, what does he mean by this:

" The 250-3000 chamber will accept ammo loaded with the bullet base in the neck not in the sholder."

Didn't make sense to me but that is definitely not a first.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I would interpret that to mean you have enough throat length to long-load heavy bullets. Just my guess.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like $2500 for an action with no FP.stock is UGLYY&rest of metalwork is ALMOST right.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I would interpret that to mean you have enough throat length to long-load heavy bullets. Just my guess.

My guess too.

The rifle was a lot more attractive at $1200 Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend talk to him and he would not go less than 1200 and also would not allow Rockwell testing. That was on the original auction with no bids. Then the guy doubles the price and still no bids.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Cool little rifle, always wanted to do a Springfield like that.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to make a "short" rifle for .45ACP...trust me it is far easier to do it using an SMLE or Lee Enfield No4. As, of course, we did here in Britain to make the De Lisle Carbine.

There are still gunsmiths in UK who make these things. Such as Peter Sarony.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Big Earl

Check this out:

http://www.auctionarms.com/sea...?itemnum=9351461&oh=

Item# 9351461 if link doesn't work!

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
cool too

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i WANT that springfield

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About twenty years ago I got serious into Schuetzen shooting. My first year at Golden I met a young machinist from the Salt lake area. He did repair work on firearms on the side. His name is Steve Fotou, and he did the finest work I have ever seen. He invited me down to his home to visit, and do an article for Precision Shooting Magazine. He started showing me things he had done, and one was a 6BR he had made by shortening a mauser action to proper length for the 1.5" BR case. His wife was sort-of into Schuetzen as well, but could not find an action she liked. The next year she saw a Borchardt Schuetzen rifle and says to Steve "Make me one of those...". He asks me to find the patent drawings so I go to the Logo & Trademarks Office and download them.
Six months later he calls me and says "come down and see the Borchardt I made. It was gorgous and had a single-set trigger that would get down to 1oz set. Sadly, he lost his job and ended up moving to the Seattle area to run a machine shop up there. He had also shown me two 1851 Navy Colt replicas he converted to 22lr. He's the only guy I have ever envied his skills.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote