Find
Notify
Tools

Cracked lug on Mauser action?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I think I might have a cracked lower lug on my Czech 1908/34 M-98 Mauser. I pulled the barrel and was cleaning it up for a new project and noticed a wiggly line down the middle of the lower lug. At the top towards the inside of the action it starts out as 2 lines then forms into 1. I tried to take some pics. I don't know if they are good enough though.

Any thoughts?
Can this be repaired? Or is it just a paper weight now?
What about just useing it for a low pressure round such as 45 acp?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Magnaflux or x-ray it and be sure it's a crack. Then decide to make a paper weight out of it. Odd place for a crack. In over 50 years of working with actions I don't think I've ever even heard of one cracking at that point. If it is a crack that makes it scary cause you start to think how many have I MISSED seeing, mainly cause I didn't look at that spot because I never thought of the possibility. I have mostly seen bolt lug and bodies crack, but not too many of those. I would investigate it further.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
There is a spay on crack check that is available at welding supply stores. Its a three can system, cleaner, penatrant and developer. You need all three to do it right.
Just follow the instructions, and spray the cleaner OUTSIDE, I don't recall what's in it but holy cow what a buzz! Eeker

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
YIKES

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
X-rays will NOT find it. You have to use either magnetic particle[Magnaflux ] or dye penetrant tests .It is a strange place for a crack . Check it out !!

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Hillbilly Magnaflux:

Dunk it in gasoline, leave it in for awhile, pull it out and let it air dry while watching that spot. If its a crack it'll stay wet awhile longer.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
There is a spay on crack check that is available at welding supply stores. Its a three can system, cleaner, penatrant and developer. You need all three to do it right.
Just follow the instructions, and spray the cleaner OUTSIDE, I don't recall what's in it but holy cow what a buzz! Eeker

I use both magnaflux and a penetrant called Zy-Glo. I use a blacklight with the die and it works extremely well, but, does require fresh air when applying.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the welding shop first. If that doesn't pan out, I'll look up a machine shop for magnafluxing.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why a wierd place to find a crack ?

This is one of the critical spots to look for stress changes on a Mauser Action and exactly why it is unsound practise to open mauser actions from the front !

When I drew attention to this on the FN Mauser and it's derivatives everybody came down on me like a ton of bricks.

The area in question is known as the Lug Seat , this is the bottom lug seat and the top above is stronger. Lug seat wear is as common as lug setback.