Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington, accuracy, and warranty
 Login/Join

posted
I'm about to send a 700 back to Remington because it groups 2-5" on any ammo, including factory. The warranty form includes a section for specs on your reloads, but the Remington warranty for 700s appears to specifically exclude reloads. Has anybody sent a gun back to them for accuracy issues before, and if so, what were the results/issues brought up? Also, what are your recommendations for the "reload" section on the warranty form? Leave it blank and just give the specs on the factory loads, or expound on everything we've tried?

Posts: 24 | Location: Round Rock, TX | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Leave that "Reload" section blank. Once they receive the rifle, they will examine the gun to make sure it hasn't been modified in any way and then they will fire it to see if it is grouping within their specifications and let you know the results. They used to be fairly reasonable time wise. I don't know these days.

What all have you done to the gun, and, how long have you had it?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
don't tell them its capable of 2" groups, I have heard this is totally acceptable accuracy for most manufacturers, I would focus on it shooting the 5" groups so they make sure and actually do something about it

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've told them that it's 4-5" groups, which was the case before we tried a bedded stock that floated the barrel.

It's a 700 Mountain in .270. We've tried lightening the trigger and stoning the sear, changing scopes, triggers (< 1 lb), the stock mentioned above, and about a dozen plus loads. The stock change tightened it right up from four to two inches, but to me, this is unacceptable for hunting.

Posts: 24 | Location: Round Rock, TX | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigric:
I've told them that it's 4-5" groups, which was the case before we tried a bedded stock that floated the barrel.

It's a 700 Mountain in .270. We've tried lightening the trigger and stoning the sear, changing scopes, triggers (< 1 lb), the stock mentioned above, and about a dozen plus loads. The stock change tightened it right up from four to two inches, but to me, this is unacceptable for hunting.

You might be sunk because of the trigger. At the least Remington will make you buy a new factory trigger before they will consider looking at the rest of the gun. Remington doesn't like people doing things to their guns triggers. It voids warranty's.

Have you had someone besides yourself look the gun over. Problems which cause a bolt gun to print 4-5" groups should be relatively easy to spot. Where you have modified the gun and trigger, you might be better off letting an experienced eye look it over first. Just a thought.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a professional look at it; just a friend who has accurized a few 700s before. And basically swapped out every part except the action, bolt, and barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't had a professional look at it; just a friend who has accurized a few 700s before. And basically swapped out every part except the action, bolt, and barrel.

In other words he's changed the stock. Big Grin The problem is likely to involve the action, bolt and/or barrel. I would let a pro look at it.

posted Hide Post
We changed the stock and trigger, and worked on the factory trigger, yes.

Somebody asked earlier--the gun was purchased new about 17 months ago.

So the recommendation is to send it to a local gunsmith rather than send it to Remington? The gun currently has the factory trigger installed, with clear sealant over the screws as it would have come from the factory.

If Remington is going to screw me out of another trigger just to look at it, and if that's expensive, I may jump to plan B and rebarrel it with a standard (not lightweight) barrel. But I'd rather see them stand by their product.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
We changed the stock and trigger, and worked on the factory trigger, yes.

Somebody asked earlier--the gun was purchased new about 17 months ago.

So the recommendation is to send it to a local gunsmith rather than send it to Remington? The gun currently has the factory trigger installed, with clear sealant over the screws as it would have come from the factory.

If Remington is going to screw me out of another trigger just to look at it, and if that's expensive, I may jump to plan B and rebarrel it with a standard (not lightweight) barrel. But I'd rather see them stand by their product.

If you have a factory trigger that has never been disassembled and stoned or otherwise tampered with, then send it with the Remington. If the trigger has been disassembled and stoned, they will no accept the job.

Call their customer service department and ask them if this 17 month old gun is covered or not. If it is, ask them which type of home work voids their warranty... They should be able to tell you that, which could save you some frustration. Good luck.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the recommendation is to send it to a local gunsmith rather than send it to Remington? The gun currently has the factory trigger installed, with clear sealant over the screws as it would have come from the factory

As I read this you are talking about the trigger that came with the rifle. You have altered it and sealed over the screws? If it is less than the factory 10# they will pick up on the fact it has been worked on. Brownell sells the trigger for $71 I don't know about Remington. I hunted with one buddy that had the same issue as you. He sent it back they returned it saying it was within standard.

If it were my rifle I would not spend time or $$ working with Rem. I would put the shipping & maybe the cost of a new trigger towards a new barrel. Life is way to short to spend a lot of time jacking with a rifle that won't shoot. Lot more fun shooting one that will.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
So the recommendation is to send it to a local gunsmith rather than send it to Remington? The gun currently has the factory trigger installed, with clear sealant over the screws as it would have come from the factory

As I read this you are talking about the trigger that came with the rifle. You have altered it and sealed over the screws? If it is less than the factory 10# they will pick up on the fact it has been worked on. Brownell sells the trigger for $71 I don't know about Remington. I hunted with one buddy that had the same issue as you. He sent it back they returned it saying it was within standard.

If it were my rifle I would not spend time or $$ working with Rem. I would put the shipping & maybe the cost of a new trigger towards a new barrel. Life is way to short to spend a lot of time jacking with a rifle that won't shoot. Lot more fun shooting one that will.

I concur...

one of us
posted Hide Post
They may be more reasonable than you think on the trigger. I had adjusted mine and it was in the factory recently to get a new bolt and they just put another trigger on it at no charge whatsoever. I just readjusted the new one when it arrived home. The turn around time was also good.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK, the jury is in, and my 700 is back at no cost to me. Remington had the gun for a total of six business days. The gun went in with a couple of scratches around the trigger adjusting screws and a little pink nail polish that I could not get out of a groove. They didn't say a thing about the trigger, and they did not replace it. I called them a total of three times to confirm arrival, status, and departure. They were very professional and informative each time. Although their system did not email me for arrival/shipping like it said it was supposed to, they were more than happy to talk on the phone, which is a real plus these days. It was also shipped back to the original shipping address (a local shop) instead of to my address, as the repair form indicated. Again, no big deal except that the shop didn't have my contact number. They should probably update the instructions/directives on their warranty form to reflect this stuff, but this is more to inform those who haven't sent stuff to Rem before.

Here's the final analysis from the repair order:
Problems:
Reported: accuracy
Found: accuracy

Technician's comments:
Check over at bench, chamfer muzzle, clean bore, send for gallery targeting. Target group size was within factory specs

We'll see how it shoots this weekend. Even if it's still bad, I'm happy with the repair experience and I'll just rebarrel it.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Cleaned up the muzzle and now it shoots. Imagine that! Big Grin

Glad to hear it. In fact, I'm glad to hear they didn't ding you on the trigger. BTW, acetone is real good at removing pink nail polish. You really shouldn't handle a trigger until your nails are dry. Big Grin Just kidding!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that a little cleaning and muzzle chamfering can turn a 2-5" rifle in a consistent 1-1.5" performer, unless the barrel was previously horribly fouled and the muzzle VERY badly finished.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
I doubt that a little cleaning and muzzle chamfering can turn a 2-5" rifle in a consistent 1-1.5" performer, unless the barrel was previously horribly fouled and the muzzle VERY badly finished.

Don't know the extent that the barrel was fouled, if at all, but, muzzle damage alone can produce those results. And it doesn't take much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just yesterday I sent a 700 .260 mountain rifle back to them. I hadn't shot it yet, but I scoped the barrel and there were a couple of problems. The crown was pretty bad, one land had a deep score for about 3/4 of its entire length and the throat was not reamed concentric with the bore. If I had shot this thing, there is no way it would have held 5". Factroy barrels will never be as good as aftermarket, but this one was the worst I had ever seen and there is no way I was going to accept it. That being said, I never had a problem with Remington service. I sent back a 12 guage O/U with a cracked stock 7 years after I bought it and they replaced the stock no charge.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote